Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
tachi
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:47 pm
Location: Dartmoor
Contact:

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by tachi » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Treguard wrote: Fabled Lands Publishing (Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson's company, sort of) are starting to reprint the Falcon books, the Renegade Lord is available now. They are really good, and its a shame they got cancelled before being finished. You can clearly tell the word came down halfway through the writing of book 6. The starts great, it finishes well, the middle is an incoherent mess. It peaked with Rack of Baal IMO. Dave posted on his blog recently about an idea they had to reboot it, to be honest I'm glad they didn't, but it's interesting all the same:

http://fabledlands.blogspot.co.uk/
Awesome find mate, thank you doe sharing! Off to buy it now :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Knowing there are both Gamebook and wrestling fans on this forum, I thought I'd point people in the way of Slammed! by Choice of Games. It's an interactive novel based in the world of pro-wrestling, involving backstage politics, feuds, the whole shebang. It's on IOS, Android and Steam. I've been playing through it and it's really enjoyable so far.

Boulder
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Boulder » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Tin Man Games has provided the Humble Bundle links to the Kickstarter backers who pledged to get the older games as well. I have quickly tested Forest of Doom earlier and it felt nice, so maybe I'll give the games a go during the holidays.

I should also get my Christmas present to myself tomorrow, the tabletop version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Cost me 10 euros + p&p so it was a steal if it's in good condition with everything intact as promised.

User avatar
Belgarath
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Belgarath » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Boulder wrote:
I should also get my Christmas present to myself tomorrow, the tabletop version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Cost me 10 euros + p&p so it was a steal if it's in good condition with everything intact as promised.
Can I come round to your house to play? :)

Boulder
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Boulder » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Belgarath wrote:
Boulder wrote:
I should also get my Christmas present to myself tomorrow, the tabletop version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Cost me 10 euros + p&p so it was a steal if it's in good condition with everything intact as promised.
Can I come round to your house to play? :)
Anytime, just bring lots of beer and crisps :mrgreen:

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Boulder wrote:Tin Man Games has provided the Humble Bundle links to the Kickstarter backers who pledged to get the older games as well. I have quickly tested Forest of Doom earlier and it felt nice, so maybe I'll give the games a go during the holidays.

I should also get my Christmas present to myself tomorrow, the tabletop version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Cost me 10 euros + p&p so it was a steal if it's in good condition with everything intact as promised.
Was tempted by a copy of this on ebay myself, but it's missing a few bits and bobs and cost more than that. If it's compete that's a great deal.

Boulder
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Boulder » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:36 pm

I just picked it up at the local post office and checked the contents. Everything's intact and apart from the box itself, it looks almost new :D I've seen these cost 30-40 euros and they've sometimes not even been complete so this was a very lucky strike at that price..

I'll have to try and get the kids to test the game over the holidays.

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:37 pm

tachi wrote:
Treguard wrote: Fabled Lands Publishing (Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson's company, sort of) are starting to reprint the Falcon books, the Renegade Lord is available now. They are really good, and its a shame they got cancelled before being finished. You can clearly tell the word came down halfway through the writing of book 6. The starts great, it finishes well, the middle is an incoherent mess. It peaked with Rack of Baal IMO. Dave posted on his blog recently about an idea they had to reboot it, to be honest I'm glad they didn't, but it's interesting all the same:

http://fabledlands.blogspot.co.uk/
Awesome find mate, thank you doe sharing! Off to buy it now :)
Seems like it didn't sell that well so they're not doing the other books any time soon :cry:

http://fabledlands.blogspot.co.uk/

On the plus side, Dave says he might finally get round to re doing Blood Sword book 5, put paid to the scalpers trying to sell it for over a hundred quid on ebay.

User avatar
Belgarath
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Belgarath » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Absolute shame Falcon hasn't done well, I've just bought the first book to show my support as it is an amazing series and the rest deserve to reprinted.

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

Reading the ongoing saga of Joe Dever's attempt to get Lone Wolf book 29 published is heart breaking. Mantikore-Verlag pulled out in December, and Cubicle 7, who do the Lone Wolf Adventure Game were supposed to have picked it up, but now they've decided it's too much of a stretch for them, he's now considering self publishing. Apparently there's already an Italian version out by a different publisher, surely there's scope for a kickstarter to get it done in the original language?

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 am

Treguard wrote:Reading the ongoing saga of Joe Dever's attempt to get Lone Wolf book 29 published is heart breaking. Mantikore-Verlag pulled out in December, and Cubicle 7, who do the Lone Wolf Adventure Game were supposed to have picked it up, but now they've decided it's too much of a stretch for them, he's now considering self publishing. Apparently there's already an Italian version out by a different publisher, surely there's scope for a kickstarter to get it done in the original language?
Update- It's being self-published and is due to go to press next week! You can order it here:

http://www.mapmagnamund.com/id72.html

User avatar
Belgarath
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Belgarath » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you for the link! Bought it :D

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Belgarath wrote:Thank you for the link! Bought it :D
Great! Let me know what you think when you get it, I can't afford it this month but it'll be first thing I buy when I get paid!

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 am

I picked up a massive carrier bag full of FF books from a charity shop the other day, some new, some old.
Not had a chance to look through them properly yet, but will put some photos up if there's any interest. I doubt I'd keep any of them.

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Treguard » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:44 am

thingonaspring wrote:I picked up a massive carrier bag full of FF books from a charity shop the other day, some new, some old.
Not had a chance to look through them properly yet, but will put some photos up if there's any interest. I doubt I'd keep any of them.
Always on the lookout for gamebooks mate, lets see what you've got! I know Shinobi was interested too, I sent him a few myself.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest