Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:49 am

Dont get paid ? Its only 3 quid i think ! PM me your apple id and i can gift it to you if you want (got lots of itunes vouchers for my birthday !)

But yeah i'm looking forward to the next batch, Citadel of Chaos, Warlock of firetop mountain etc.

The inkle books are great (Sorcery) but i do love the books by Tinman, so glad they got the Fighting Fantasy license. But either way in the year 2014 playing Forest of Doom on my phone and having that game with me at all times is great.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 am

psj3809 wrote:Dont get paid ? Its only 3 quid i think ! PM me your apple id and i can gift it to you if you want (got lots of itunes vouchers for my birthday !)

But yeah i'm looking forward to the next batch, Citadel of Chaos, Warlock of firetop mountain etc.

The inkle books are great (Sorcery) but i do love the books by Tinman, so glad they got the Fighting Fantasy license. But either way in the year 2014 playing Forest of Doom on my phone and having that game with me at all times is great.
Got it now, £1.99 lol. Always brassic by the end of the month these days, the joys of parenthood. Still, looking forward to being able to share all these books with my lad when he's older.

If I'm honest, I'm kinda sick of Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Citadel of Chaos. I still have the Big Blue Bubble versions on my phone. I know they're Jackson and Livingstone written, so they're easy to get the rights to, but could we not get Freeway Fighter or Creature of Havoc or Trial of Champions? That was my first FF book, and still one of my favourites. Hell, Jonathan Green has written for Tin Man before, so they've got his number, so surely Spellbreaker or Knights of Doom is an option?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:33 am

Ha ha fair enough, yeah i'm the same with my kids.

So is it any good ? I was about to buy it but my biggest problem isnt the prices its the size of the apps. Hate having to de-install favourites i go to from time to time.

Yeah good point about the other books. I must admit i wish i could have those classics though, i always tell people to back up their apps but i havent got copies of the old Big Blue Bubble ones.

Looking forward to their future books. I still have to finish the first Sorcery app so i can buy the Khare one. Think theyre also very impressive

dste

Post by dste » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:57 am

Don't know if people saw this BBC article the other day about the books.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28865399
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am

psj3809 wrote:Ha ha fair enough, yeah i'm the same with my kids.

So is it any good ? I was about to buy it but my biggest problem isnt the prices its the size of the apps. Hate having to de-install favourites i go to from time to time.

Yeah good point about the other books. I must admit i wish i could have those classics though, i always tell people to back up their apps but i havent got copies of the old Big Blue Bubble ones.

Looking forward to their future books. I still have to finish the first Sorcery app so i can buy the Khare one. Think theyre also very impressive
It's not bad, the interface is lovely and the new combat works well, but can be infuriating sometimes when you miss things with no explanation as to why. I was hoping they'd have fixed some of the obvoious problems with the writing in the original book, but they haven't- I've still only been able to complete it having a hero with mental powers (known as 8-bit lightning, you get to choose from randomised words for your heros name, that one seemed appropriate), and even to do that required me to *SPOILERS* ignore an escaped chainsaw-wielding murderer and instead take a lost cat to a cat shelter, and follow a trail that prevented me from finding out information that would stop the president being assassinated so I could probe a delivery boys mind in a cake shop.

The second Sorcery app is much better than the first one, but Khare was always a better book than the Loneliest Manticore, sorry the Shamutanti Hills. At least that one avoids the standard Steve Jackson trap of you only discovering you've not got any of the things you need and surprise! You're right at the end and now you fail. They give you the chance to go back to an earlier point, with all your retained knowledge to find the other spell words you need, which is good as failing to collect some of them is as easy as going left instead of right at a junction.

If you've got a PS3 or Vita then Laughing Jackals version of Talisman of Death is still available cheap on the marketplace. That's worth a punt.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Anybody tried the online fighting fantasy games on WWWFFPROJECT.COM?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:51 am

SCALEBACK wrote:Anybody tried the online fighting fantasy games on WWWFFPROJECT.COM?
Yeah, I've had a go, some of them are alright but some of them are bloody awful. The entrants for the Windhammer prize for interactive fiction http://www.arborell.com/windhammer_prize.html are always worth a perusal too.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 am

For those of you who enjoyed Inkle's version of the Sorcery! Gamebooks, their version of Dave Morris's Virtual Reality gamebook Down among the Dead Men is now available on the app store and I think android. I advise everyone to buy it, it's a great pirate themed adventure, and if it leads to inkle versions of his other books, particularly Heart of Ice, that can only be a good thing.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:22 am

For anyone who's interested, Cubus Games will be releasing an app version of another of the Virtual Reality game books- Necklace of Skulls hopefully this week, And Inkle are apparently just finishing off a version of Heart of Ice! And theres a print version of Way of the Tiger Book 6, and apparently Renegade Lord, book 1 of the Falcon series coming soon! Good time for gamebook fans.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:48 am

Necklace of Skulls is available on IOS and Android now. Really nice art style, and an easy interface, and as always good writing by Morris in a unique setting (ancient Mayan). Worth checking out if you like interactive fiction.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:47 am

Treguard wrote:Necklace of Skulls is available on IOS and Android now. Really nice art style, and an easy interface, and as always good writing by Morris in a unique setting (ancient Mayan). Worth checking out if you like interactive fiction.
Couldn't find it on play store. Is it just Amazon store?
Scott me up beamie!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
Treguard wrote:Necklace of Skulls is available on IOS and Android now. Really nice art style, and an easy interface, and as always good writing by Morris in a unique setting (ancient Mayan). Worth checking out if you like interactive fiction.
Couldn't find it on play store. Is it just Amazon store?
I'm not sure TBH, Cubus's website is translated from Spanish and a bit vague. It has both versions of the book down as 'coming soon', even though I've got it on my iPhone now. I'll try and find out.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:34 am

Got Jonathan Green's 'You are the Hero', a history of Fighting Fantasy from my mate for Christmas. It's gorgeous, lovely reproductions of the artwork, some original pieces and interesting behind the scenes information and it covers all the spin off board games, F.I.S.T., computer games and even other gamebook series by authors who contributed to Fighting Fantasy, like Jamie Thomson and Dave Morris. Could do with it being a little smaller, it helps the artwork but makes it a bit unwieldy to read in bed lol. Think it's my favourite present this year.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Cavern of the Snow Witch is out now from Tin Man games in android and App Store. Not one of my favourites- success dies require some rather arbitrary turning right instead of left and picking unnecessary fights at one point. Also playing on hardcore mode limits your skill to a maximum of 10, which makes fights against the LUDICROUSLY overpowered bird man (skill 12? You can fight a Dragon earlier in the adventure and even he's not that tough!) tricky. It's also really short if you know what you're doing. So overall, a bit meh.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Treguard wrote:Cavern of the Snow Witch is out now from Tin Man games in android and App Store. Not one of my favourites- success dies require some rather arbitrary turning right instead of left and picking unnecessary fights at one point. Also playing on hardcore mode limits your skill to a maximum of 10, which makes fights against the LUDICROUSLY overpowered bird man (skill 12? You can fight a Dragon earlier in the adventure and even he's not that tough!) tricky. It's also really short if you know what you're doing. So overall, a bit meh.

Awesome, I love Caverns of the Snow Witch it's one of my favourites. The illustrations are spectacular I can just flick through the pictures. hmm I'm gonna have to make room on my tab now.
Scott me up beamie!