Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Doddsy

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 pm

I think that they would make a good role playing game like Skyrim for modern consoles and PC's there is enough content/world and ideas in them.

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 pm

pyroxian wrote:
djcarlos wrote:I'm sure I had a book which was like a beastiary of all the monsters from all the books..... or was a D&D thing?
Out of the Pit: http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Out_of_the_Pit
I bought a new copy of this a few weeks back as I lent my original ones to a school friend and it came back with all the nice full-colour pictures missing.
Apparently they 'fell out'...
Now I have one with all the lovely pics =o)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

simes

Post by simes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I used to have loads of them as a kid but got rid of all of them. Then back when I was volunteering for Oxfam a couple of them were donated to the store, so I've started collecting them again! Not got a massive collection but it's getting there!

On the official website, there's a word template you can download for creating your own!
ImageImage

http://www.transformersvideogames.co.uk - complete guide to Transformers computer / video games
Sales / Trades Wants: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32492

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:34 pm

pyroxian wrote:
djcarlos wrote:I'm sure I had a book which was like a beastiary of all the monsters from all the books..... or was a D&D thing?
Out of the Pit: http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Out_of_the_Pit
Bang on nice one!

merman

Post by merman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:56 pm

I think I still have Titan, the guide to the Fighting Fantasy world. There was also a short lived magazine, with short games, features and introductions to other role playing games
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Used to love em and Lone Wolf too

And a few Fighting Fantasy books are out i the Istore as interaqctive if people didn't know, great stuff

one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

simes

Post by simes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Two of them - Warlock Of Firetop Mountain and Talisman Of Death - are out on the Playstation Network as Minis for the PSP and PS3 as well. :)
ImageImage

http://www.transformersvideogames.co.uk - complete guide to Transformers computer / video games
Sales / Trades Wants: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32492

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm

I read/played Warlock of Firetop Mountain on iOS when it came out. I thought it was really well done. I didn't realise they'd given up producing them.

As for the books I had a few back in the 80s including a set of 4 book revolving around the story of a Ninja, or Ninjas. One book definitely called Usurper. Wasn't there one, possibly a series, set in space? Can't remember the title....

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Mire Mare wrote:I read/played Warlock of Firetop Mountain on iOS when it came out. I thought it was really well done. I didn't realise they'd given up producing them.

As for the books I had a few back in the 80s including a set of 4 book revolving around the story of a Ninja, or Ninjas. One book definitely called Usurper. Wasn't there one, possibly a series, set in space? Can't remember the title....
Those are the Way of the Tiger series by Mark Smith and Jamie Thomspon, have all 6 of those too.
They also did the excellent Falcon time traveller series of which there are 5.

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 pm

merman wrote:I think I still have Titan, the guide to the Fighting Fantasy world. There was also a short lived magazine, with short games, features and introductions to other role playing games
You might be speaking of Proteus Magazine which had a full adventure per edition as well as mini ones.
Only ran for about 20.
I only have 6 so far lol

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Wow Robot Commando was my first FF book too - weird huh ?
Chosen totally on a whim, I read and owned a fair few back in school. Two of them, Crimson Tide and Creature of Chaos, I could never, ever, finish - despite blatant cheating :)
TBH I use to cheat all the battles too. Could never be bothered with all that dice business.

Trolltooth Wars was good too, though that was a "convential" novel. After a while I got bored of all that flicking back 'n' fourth and got into Anne McCaffrey's Pern/Dragonriders books instead.

My parents got me Virtual Reality Adventure books randomly one day. They are similar and were very good.

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:45 pm

CIH wrote:Wow Robot Commando was my first FF book too - weird huh ?
Clearly we both have excellent taste my friend!

CIH wrote:Trolltooth Wars was good too, though that was a "convential" novel.
There were 3 novels in the series and I recently re-read them and they still hold up pretty well!
CIH wrote:My parents got me Virtual Reality Adventure books randomly one day. They are similar and were very good.

Ooh, never heard of those! Ebay here we come lol

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 pm

There were 4 as I recall; Green Blood, Down Among the Dead Men, Coils of Hate & Necklace of Skulls

merman

Post by merman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:01 pm

tachi wrote:
merman wrote:I think I still have Titan, the guide to the Fighting Fantasy world. There was also a short lived magazine, with short games, features and introductions to other role playing games
You might be speaking of Proteus Magazine which had a full adventure per edition as well as mini ones.
Only ran for about 20.
I only have 6 so far lol
No, there was a separate Fighting Fantasy magazine, I only have one issue but it exists. And the art style is very similar to Proteus...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

tachi

Post by tachi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Aaaah! I'm with you!
Warlock magazine then?