Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:35 am

^Great post ! Yeah i should have said they've got that license, House of Hell is coming out soon but also the classics like Warlock of firetop mountain etc. Really happy Fighting Fantasy did a deal with Tinman games as their gamebook adventure apps so far (Specially Judge Dredd) have been great.

Its nice to see this getting a new lease of life and being popular. Works very well on touchscreens.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Great fun. i also liked the Fabled Lands books. They were about A4-ish size with an inbuilt character sheet and map on the inside of the covers.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 am

skodathegreat wrote:Great fun. i also liked the Fabled Lands books. They were about A4-ish size with an inbuilt character sheet and map on the inside of the covers.
By Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson. Fabled lands was interesting in that theres no real end to it, and the idea was you travelled from one book to another, but there was no set order. They've got an App on the Iphone too, but it's pricy and a bit of a beast in terms of size, it's around one gig. They also republished the first few books recently, the original plan was for a series of 12 but only six ever got printed, if the reprints sell though there's talk of the final six being made.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 am

Megara entertainment have released a re-worked version of Keep of the Lich Lord, which was originally a Fighting Fantasy gamebook written by Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson as an iphone app. The Interactive Book Company have also released the first of the Sherlock Holmes Solo Adventures book as an app, (which helps in a way as keeping track of what clues and evidence you had in the original book was a BLOODY NIGHTMARE). The books were a bit rubs though.

The new House of Hell app by Tin Man Games is lovely, but they could have tweaked the difficulty slightly. Basically unless you roll 11 or 12 for your FEAR score you still can't win no matter what you. Very annoying as if you roll a character with lower scores you can't restart the book, you have to deliberately play your way to death, usually by fighting the invisible enemy on the stairs with its stupidly high skill score when you're at minus 3 from your initial skill to start. Gargh.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:39 am

Steve Jacksons Sorcery (first part - Shamanti Hills) is coming to iOS in May

http://www.inklestudios.com/misc/press-sorcery/

Seen a video of it on youtube, looks really good, a bit different from the other iOS gamebook adventures, ipad only which is a shame but from what i've seen really promising

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 am

psj3809 wrote:Steve Jacksons Sorcery (first part - Shamanti Hills) is coming to iOS in May

http://www.inklestudios.com/misc/press-sorcery/

Seen a video of it on youtube, looks really good, a bit different from the other iOS gamebook adventures, ipad only which is a shame but from what i've seen really promising
This was done before by Big Bubble, but inkle's new version not only looks gorgeous but also seems to try and overhaul the combat and make it more nuanaced than the just 'rolling dice bigger number wins' scenario. I hope they manage to get further in to the Sorcery series than the first book this time, Shamutanti Hills contains far too many 'turn left or right. You turn right. You die' choices, and Khare- Cityport of Traps is basically a memory test of dying repeatedly then trying a slightly different route next time, but the Seven Serpents and Crown of Kings are some of Jacksons best writing.

manxman

Post by manxman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:08 am

I got The Warlock of Firetop Mountain many years ago as a present then collected all the rest. Then I discovered Advanced Dungeon and Dragons which was even better. They were a great series though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:11 am

Well the apps out (in New Zealand !), will be out in the UK at midnight...

Sorcery
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=187200

$5 so about i think 3 or 4 quid. Looking forward to getting this tomorrow

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri May 31, 2013 10:36 am

Forest of Doom is out on Google Play, should be on Itunes Store soon. Tin Man Games have done a lovely job converting it, shame the book is such a boring fetch quest.

Oblisky

Post by Oblisky » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I had quite a lot of these back in the day. A couple of years ago I bought a few of ebay and I found a few in a box a couple of weeks ago while clearing out boxes in my garage. Book 3 from the Sorcery series - The Seven Serpents was my favourite.

And yes, you had to keep your finger in the page in case you died. :lol:

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:31 pm

The series has been translated in Italian (with the "Dimensione Avventura" = "Adventure Dimension" title :shock: ) too, I've got several books of the series and still have to read most of them, but it's definitely good, even if not among my favourite game book series... that remain Joe Dever's works (Lone Wolf and Freeway Warrior) and the awesome sci-fi Falcon series. Terrific stuff.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Hiro wrote:The series has been translated in Italian (with the "Dimensione Avventura" = "Adventure Dimension" title :shock: ) too, I've got several books of the series and still have to read most of them, but it's definitely good, even if not among my favourite game book series... that remain Joe Dever's works (Lone Wolf and Freeway Warrior) and the awesome sci-fi Falcon series. Terrific stuff.
Hiro, if you like gamebooks and read Italian, then try and get hold of the Italian language versions of the Blood Sword series by Dave Morris. Brilliantly written, and dirt cheap compared to the English language version, a full set of which would set you back about £200.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Treguard wrote:Hiro, if you like gamebooks and read Italian, then try and get hold of the Italian language versions of the Blood Sword series by Dave Morris. Brilliantly written, and dirt cheap compared to the English language version, a full set of which would set you back about £200.
I actually have one of these 8) number 5, the last one in the series. I've never read it (I got it in a gamebook lot on eBay), it somehow didn't look like my cup of tea, since it looked made for a multiplayer experience, even if you can still read and play the series by yourself. On eBay the entire 5-book series (in Italian) costs 27€, who knows, I might give it a chance :)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 am

Hiro wrote:
Treguard wrote:Hiro, if you like gamebooks and read Italian, then try and get hold of the Italian language versions of the Blood Sword series by Dave Morris. Brilliantly written, and dirt cheap compared to the English language version, a full set of which would set you back about £200.
I actually have one of these 8) number 5, the last one in the series. I've never read it (I got it in a gamebook lot on eBay), it somehow didn't look like my cup of tea, since it looked made for a multiplayer experience, even if you can still read and play the series by yourself. On eBay the entire 5-book series (in Italian) costs 27€, who knows, I might give it a chance :)
You should, it's one of the best series I've ever read, Dave Morris on top form. The 4 player thing was crowbar-ed in at the last minute as Knight wouldn't publish the books in the UK unless they had some kind of USP.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:12 am

I'm sorry to say I was a prolific shoplifter as a kid and I stole every book in the Fighting Fantasy series from my local WHSmiths...
Another one of my cardinal sins was not going back to page one when I died, i'd just go back to the last choice... Gods I was an evil
child! Used to start from the first book and use the same character all the way through the books... Iron Fist, his name was I believe.
I also wrote an almost finished spectrum version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain... with dice rolls and everything...
I wish I still had that...