Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Belgarath

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by Belgarath » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Consider me interested as well :)

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:25 am

I didn't get chance last night, and won't be home tonight, but will take a picture tomorrow evening and post it up as soon as I can :D

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Ok, so not really had chance to look any of these up just yet, so not sure if there's anything decent or not. Couple of duplicates, which I hadn't even noticed... :oops: :lol:

Done as a link since the image was rather large, and you can get a better idea of condition etc rather than resize it.]

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:20 am

thingonaspring wrote:Ok, so not really had chance to look any of these up just yet, so not sure if there's anything decent or not. Couple of duplicates, which I hadn't even noticed... :oops: :lol:

Done as a link since the image was rather large, and you can get a better idea of condition etc rather than resize it.]
Some nice ones there, particularly the two player books, don't see them very often. I'd be interested in the Shadowstealer novel if it's available, I haven't got that!

Edit* I have conflated two titles- Demonstealer and Shadowmaster and come up with something that is not quite right but sound like it should be a Fighting Fantasy book. I meant Shadowmaster.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Belgarath wrote:Thank you for the link! Bought it :D
Did you get this yet? If so, is it any good?

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Wed May 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Not got it yet, there were delays at the printers, Joe wrote several emails apologising profusely for the delays.
He should be collecting them from the printers today and worldwide dispatch of the pre-orders should start tomorrow.

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed May 18, 2016 10:35 am

tachi wrote:Still time to cast a vote:
https://twitter.com/ian_livingstone/sta ... lang=en-gb
He already did a sequel to Deathtrap Dungeon, it was Trial of Champions, which was my first ever Fighting Fantasy book. Darkwood Forest has been done to death in things like Eye of the Dragon and has cameos in Return to Firetop Mountain and Crypt of the Sorcerer. City of Thieves wins by default. And being set in a city, it's also the only Livingstone book that doesn't contain the phrase 'you come to a T-Junction, do you turn left or right'. Just this time do it without the 'I sent you on a quest to collect three items but only two will work and I'm not telling you what combination or giving you any clue as to which so even though you've done everything successfully you can still fail at the last minute completely randomly' bullsh*t ending.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:31 am

Belgarath wrote:Not got it yet, there were delays at the printers, Joe wrote several emails apologising profusely for the delays.
He should be collecting them from the printers today and worldwide dispatch of the pre-orders should start tomorrow.
I'm on the waiting list for the second print run. Let me know if you get yours!

As an aside, on the Humble Bundle this week the 'pay more than the average' games include the inkle versions of Sorcery! books 1 & 2 (The Shamuntanti Hills and Khare! Cityport of Traps!) and 80 days around the world. I'd highly recommend anyone gets these if you don't have them already, the Sorcery books are gorgeous, the new interactive style works wonderfully and they've fixed the issue with Khare of you being able to miss an important clue necessary to complete the book (as it involves you going off at complete tangent to where you should go very early on in the book and then asking a specific question, thanks for that Steve...). It's about 4 dollars, it's more than that on Steam or the App store for one of those so it's well worth it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:54 am

Belgarath wrote:Not got it yet, there were delays at the printers, Joe wrote several emails apologising profusely for the delays.
Just picked my copy up from the Post Office this morning. Well chuffed.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Treguard wrote:Tin Man Games have a kickstarter for their new reimagined table top RPG version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain. It's already funded as of now, but it looks awesome and some of the stretch goals are pretty cool too:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wa ... ero_thanks
It's out now, it looks lovely and is getting good reviews http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/02/the-warlo ... n-6105238/. Don't know if I'd drop £15 to replay a book I can do in my sleep after completing so many times in different formats but if the engine is used for converting other books I'd be all over it, or if they announced when they're releasing an android or IOS version...

Playing through the later books in Tin Man's Gamebook Adventures series at the minute too, Songs of the Mystics was interesting, had a nice spell learning mechanic that reminded be somewhat of classic FF book Black Vein Prophecy (except without the stupid caveat that you could only get the good ending by FAILING a dice roll at one point, not sure if that's Paul Mason's doing or lazy editing) and actually has multiple paths you can follow to get to the ending, although it does suffer from the old gamebook failing of you ending up in a spot without any of the things that could save you in the boss battle if you stray too far off the path.

Asuria Awakens is the other one, written by Stuart Lloyd of the excellent lloydofgamebooks blog, it's a labour of love and it shows. It's a massive book, and is well written enough for you to be able to explore without getting yourself stuck in an unwinnable situation, unless you do something really stupid, like try to wake up a bunch of sleeping guards (which I may have done...). They've been reduced in price recently on IOS and Google Play store and I'd recommend them to any fan of the genre.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:27 pm

Not sure if anyone reads this thread except me now, but I'm just wanting to give props to Inkle for their amazing reinterpretation of The Crown of Kings, the 4th of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series. With added sections, new spells and multiple endings, I've just finished playing through it for the second time. It's full of new tricks and secrets to discover, and it's a lot of fun. It's just brilliant.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:34 pm

Wow, Steve Jackson's Sorcery! I haven't even thought about them in years.
Wii (modded) - Playstation 3 - Xbox One - PC

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:49 pm

I was on holiday in Haye on Wye and found a few of the newer republished books. I picked up warlock of firetop mountain and citadel of chaos as i dont own those. I wanted a newer copy of starship travellers too but my old copy is in good nick so not worth it. The other one there was sword of the samurai which i already have.

That leaves just two i REALLY want (robot commando and Knights of Doom) and the rest just bonus ones ive not read yet or enjoyed.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:00 pm

RetroMartin wrote:I was on holiday in Haye on Wye and found a few of the newer republished books. I picked up warlock of firetop mountain and citadel of chaos as i dont own those. I wanted a newer copy of starship travellers too but my old copy is in good nick so not worth it. The other one there was sword of the samurai which i already have.

That leaves just two i REALLY want (robot commando and Knights of Doom) and the rest just bonus ones ive not read yet or enjoyed.
May have a spare copy of Robot Commando somewhere, I'll let you know. Knights of Doom goes for stupid money these days though.