Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:42 am

I love the traditional fighting fantasy type of book but what they've done with Sorcery is superb. Love seeing these old classics being so popular

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
Treguard wrote:Starship Traveller is out now on IOS, I think on Android too. It's got some nice new features such as being able to name all your crew, I'm just hoping they've tweaked the ending slightly as the original book was incredibly unfair in as much as you didn't know if you'd been following the wrong path for the entire book until practically the last section. Granted it increased the replay value, but going through the entire book and then having your whole crew killed because you visited the wrong sequence of planets (with no explanation as to why they weren't right) was really unfair.
Thanks for the heads up, I've downloaded it I'll let you know the ending when I get there. Sorcery is also out on android and it's been converted to android really well, well worth a download. Haven't completed it yet, just need the grail quest books converted and all my books can go in the loft!
Tin Man Games are doing all of Herbie Brennans books soon, but they're starting with Fire*Wolf. With Grailquest, as with Starship Traveller I hope there's a little tweaking, seeing as to complete book 1 you had to fail a dice roll and fall down a pit and injure yourself to find the way out of the sodding maze, but I loved the way those books didn't take themselves too seriously, real breath of fresh air to get killed by a vampire carrot and sent to the dreaded section 13. And Who didn't love the Poetic Fiend?

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon May 12, 2014 7:48 pm

I preferred the Lonewolf series of books by Joe Dever. There was a more role playing element to them. As for fighting fantasy series I thought the illustrations were awesome and very adulated (House of Hell for example) considering the age of the target readers and because of this these books kicked Harry Potters arse!

spuggybridge

Post by spuggybridge » Fri May 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Loved these in the early to mid 80's, remember Deathtrap Dungeon being a right !@£$%^& to finish.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue May 27, 2014 11:32 am

Khare! Cityport of Traps is available on IOS and Android too. If you liked what Inkle did with the Shamutanti Hills you'll like this too, although Khare was always more of a pain in the arse to complete, having to get all the phrases to open the door at the end and giving you no option to retrace your steps if you'd missed any made it much more linear than it should have been. Beinteresting to see if this version forces you down the same route.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:45 am

Had an hour last night on Forest of Doom (iOS), brought back a lot of memories. I'm ashamed to say i'm often an 'app horder' and hadnt played this much despite buying it ages ago. Got into it last night, bookmarked it so i'll resume later tonight. A good old classic book/app

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:38 am

psj3809 wrote:Had an hour last night on Forest of Doom (iOS), brought back a lot of memories. I'm ashamed to say i'm often an 'app horder' and hadnt played this much despite buying it ages ago. Got into it last night, bookmarked it so i'll resume later tonight. A good old classic book/app
The thing that bugged me about Forest of Doom was that despite being set in a forest, it's effectively a dungeon crawler with usually just binary options for where you go at the end of a paragraph- north or east, north or west, etc. Theres never any chance to backtrack and you eventually end up at Stonebridge and have to go back to the begining again, but for some reason the app somehow doesn't let you carry over the equipment you're carrying and obviously you've no cash to buy more from Yazmatro so you can't complete it, making the option to go back to the beginning largely pointless.

the Starship Traveler app is very good, they have tweaked the ending so there's more chance of winning, though if you don't have all the info you need you are reliant on some lucky dice rolls. The quick combat is a nice touch too.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:28 pm

I've just completed star ship traveler on the android, still unfair... :-(

I've got sorcery to get through next then the first part of lone wolf. In super retro paper and ink I found night of the necromancer and house of hell in a charity shop, unread and a pound each. Awesome.
Scott me up beamie!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:I've just completed star ship traveler on the android, still unfair... :-(

I've got sorcery to get through next then the first part of lone wolf. In super retro paper and ink I found night of the necromancer and house of hell in a charity shop, unread and a pound each. Awesome.
Night of the Necromancer is really good, its by Jonathan Green so it's tightly scripted and doesn't suffer from that many totally unfair deaths. If you fail it's mostly your own fault. And if you think Starship Traveller is unfair, you're gonna love re-reading House of Hell...

There's a Fighting Fantasy convention in London in September. I'm tempted to attend but it's a bit of a trek. Anyone else interested, details can be found here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/fighting-fa ... nturl_text

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:40 am

Looks like a new series will be available on iOS, launch title here...

Fantasy gamebook app: PROTEUS - THE TOWER OF TERROR
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=232293

About PROTEUS
"Proteus" was published in the late 1980s as a periodical complete solo adventure game magazine in which you play the role of the Hero, originally by IPC Magazine Ltd. and later by Wimborne Publishing. With a focus on Fantasy and Sci-Fi, each magazines story provided different rules and options. As stated in the magazine itself: PROTEUS was an ancient Greek God who could change his form to avoid foretelling the future, so you can see our scope for adventures is endless.
-------------------------

I do vaguely remember a monthly fighting fantasy mag i used to get, presume it might have been Proteus. Might give this one a go

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:55 pm

I used to love these books/games as a kid. We only had five translated to Finnish: Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Citadel of Chaos, Forest of Doom, Starship Traveller and City of Thieves. The first and last ones are still my favourites, I even browse through the pages these days at times.

I remember having the Friday afternoons as my FF days, ran quickly home from school and started playing even if I knew how to complete them without any problems. I just tried to do as much extra as possible without getting to a dead end. I think I still have my scratch book simewhere with all the character sheets etc. from those days.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:55 pm

I still have the book for starship traveller, really good one and not as hard as you would think, plus the multiple 'alternate endings' were fun.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 pm

I don't usually find photoshopped signs and things funny, however:

http://mightygodking.com/2008/06/23/bad-habits/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:44 am

Treguard wrote:I don't usually find photoshopped signs and things funny, however:

http://mightygodking.com/2008/06/23/bad-habits/
Ha ha very good !!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Appointment with F.E.A.R. is available from today on IOS, Android and PC/Mac. I don't get paid till Friday but I'm really excited for this, the new game engine Tin Man have got running for this looks awesome.