Fighting Fantasy

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Re: Fighting Fantasy

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Treguard wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:I was on holiday in Haye on Wye and found a few of the newer republished books. I picked up warlock of firetop mountain and citadel of chaos as i dont own those. I wanted a newer copy of starship travellers too but my old copy is in good nick so not worth it. The other one there was sword of the samurai which i already have.

That leaves just two i REALLY want (robot commando and Knights of Doom) and the rest just bonus ones ive not read yet or enjoyed.
May have a spare copy of Robot Commando somewhere, I'll let you know. Knights of Doom goes for stupid money these days though.
I only want the ones ive read before as i know i enjoyed them. I got Knights of doom from my secondary school library a few times whilst i was there. Definitely one of the more well put together ones.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:58 pm

I read nowadays Crimson Tide is one of the rarer examples. I never did finish that one, despite blatant cheating. Robot Commando was the first one I ever read.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:25 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:I read nowadays Crimson Tide is one of the rarer examples. I never did finish that one, despite blatant cheating. Robot Commando was the first one I ever read.
Crimson tide was in my school library. I remember playing it through a few times and enjoyed it.

Theres lots of random game books i need. Id like to replace some of my Sonic ones, theres a Dr Strange one i read when i was 10 that id like to try again and there was another series based arounda Ninja that were good. I only ever played the third one in the series though.

Edit - found the ninja book. It was the Way of the Tiger series.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 am

RetroMartin wrote:
SJ_Sathanas wrote:I read nowadays Crimson Tide is one of the rarer examples. I never did finish that one, despite blatant cheating. Robot Commando was the first one I ever read.
Crimson tide was in my school library. I remember playing it through a few times and enjoyed it.

Theres lots of random game books i need. Id like to replace some of my Sonic ones, theres a Dr Strange one i read when i was 10 that id like to try again and there was another series based arounda Ninja that were good. I only ever played the third one in the series though.

the Way of the Tiger ones have all just been reissued, and they've finally done a book 7 so it doesn't end on a ridiculous cliffhanger any more. The Dr. Strange book was from TSR's Marvel series, there's also a Daredevil, Captain America, Wolverine, X-Men, The Thing and two Spiderman Gamebooks in the series. the Dr. Strange one is one of the best, along with the Daredevil book, the Wolverine book is cack, 'should wolverine attack now or wait, and then attack'? to be fair, that's as much characterisation as the comics ever had though so you can only work with what you have I guess.

Crimson Tide is pretty much unbeatable without cheating, due to an editing mistake which has you facing a Mudworm with skill 12 (the highest score you can possibly have in FF as it's based on 2 dice) when your character is a child and potentially has a skill of 1 about 2 paragraphs in. Bit unfair, and for bit unfair, read impossible.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Treguard wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:

the Way of the Tiger ones have all just been reissued, and they've finally done a book 7 so it doesn't end on a ridiculous cliffhanger any more. The Dr. Strange book was from TSR's Marvel series, there's also a Daredevil, Captain America, Wolverine, X-Men, The Thing and two Spiderman Gamebooks in the series. the Dr. Strange one is one of the best, along with the Daredevil book, the Wolverine book is cack, 'should wolverine attack now or wait, and then attack'? to be fair, that's as much characterisation as the comics ever had though so you can only work with what you have I guess.

Crimson Tide is pretty much unbeatable without cheating, due to an editing mistake which has you facing a Mudworm with skill 12 (the highest score you can possibly have in FF as it's based on 2 dice) when your character is a child and potentially has a skill of 1 about 2 paragraphs in. Bit unfair, and for bit unfair, read impossible.
Yeah i found the Dr strange book right after!

To be fair House of Hell was also buggered as im sure one of the pages you were supposed to turn to was wrong.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:13 am

RetroMartin wrote:
Treguard wrote:
RetroMartin wrote: Crimson tide was in my school library. I remember playing it through a few times and enjoyed it.

Yeah i found the Dr strange book right after!

To be fair House of Hell was also buggered as im sure one of the pages you were supposed to turn to was wrong.
House of Hell doesn't have that issue, but if you don't have a score of more than 9 for Fear you can't win as it has the standard Steve Jackson YOU MUST FOLLOW THE ONE TRUE PATH OR DEATH solution and you have to accrue 8 fear points to do it. Curse of the Mummy has a couple of editing errors regarding paragraph numbers, and Revenge of the Vampire famously has a section you have to hire a horse, which should have cost 8 gold, but is described as costing ALL your gold, which gets you to an inn, inside which is an item you must have to complete the book, but costs money to get in. If you've taken the instructions literally, you can't win.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:00 pm

Treguard wrote: House of Hell doesn't have that issue, but if you don't have a score of more than 9 for Fear you can't win as it has the standard Steve Jackson YOU MUST FOLLOW THE ONE TRUE PATH OR DEATH solution and you have to accrue 8 fear points to do it. Curse of the Mummy has a couple of editing errors regarding paragraph numbers, and Revenge of the Vampire famously has a section you have to hire a horse, which should have cost 8 gold, but is described as costing ALL your gold, which gets you to an inn, inside which is an item you must have to complete the book, but costs money to get in. If you've taken the instructions literally, you can't win.
I mustve been thinking of another book then with the wrong numbers. Ah well. Hopefully when my little one is a bit more grown up i can read some of them again with her which should be fun.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 am

Joe Dever has died, following complications from bile duct surgery. So sad, he'd just finished wrangling a deal to continue the Lone Wolf series too. Don't know if he'd finished work on book 30, and whether it will be published posthumously or not. :(

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1 ... ever_dies/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 am

Roll on Wednesday (Actually Thursday 00.00am). Warlock of Firetop Mountain is coming to iOS. Its not the usual book style game, it uses a new format which looks like small lead figures moving about the dungeon etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8OhYrkYoA

Above is the trailer for the Steam version which is already out. Cant wait to get this, i did enjoy the books on iOS but this looks brilliant

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Treguard wrote:Joe Dever has died, following complications from bile duct surgery. So sad, he'd just finished wrangling a deal to continue the Lone Wolf series too. Don't know if he'd finished work on book 30, and whether it will be published posthumously or not. :(

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1 ... ever_dies/
oh god that's sad, the Fighting Fantasy page on facebook hasn't got the news yet.
Scott me up beamie!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 pm

I know he wasn't Fighting Fantasy but he joined our group and invited me to join his group. I'll be going into the loft tomorrow to get some of my favorites from the Lone Wolf shoebox...
Scott me up beamie!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 pm

I bought 3 today for 50p each.
Knights of Doom
Midnight Rogue
Demons of the Deep
Now, where are me dice?
Going Solo...................

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:I bought 3 today for 50p each.
Knights of Doom
Midnight Rogue
Demons of the Deep
Now, where are me dice?
Knights of Doom for 50p is a bargain, You'd not see change out of £40.00 for that on ebay. Midnight Rogue is fun, but it does suffer from the classic 'pick from any of these skills but only three are actually useful' shtick (a la Monty on the Run), and Demons of the Deep is also a great romp, with multiple ways to win and Les Edwards cover art is gorgeous.

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:23 am

Treguard wrote:Les Edwards cover art is gorgeous.
I really want to get this as a untexed picture for my wall.
Got a load such as City of Thieves and Forest of Doom up already but that and Robot Commando would be the icing on the cake :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:27 pm

I was reminded of another book I couldn't finish, again even with cheating, but can't recall the name. You're an ogre or some such, and the opening has you beaten and left for dead down in a dungeon, possibly with amnesia, and I think the character was a lieutenant on a floating ship in The Trolltooth Wars? I was never able to get out of the dungeon!