Best Gamepad for SNES Emulator?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

WesY2K

Best Gamepad for SNES Emulator?

Post by WesY2K » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Dear all,

I hope this is the right subforum :-)

I am looking for a very good USB gamepad to use with the SNES Emulator Snex9x. I bought one that looked good but the dpad sucks. If I press down sometimes he won't recognize what I do. So, do you have any suggestions?

The best pad for Retro Games?

Thanks in advance.

FatTrucker

Re: Best Gamepad for SNES Emulator?

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Xbox360 Pad. Plug and Play with a PC.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:39 pm

The Xbox pad is good, but a much better alternative is to either get hold of a Super RetroPort or just get a SNES pad modded to USB. The disadvantage of the latter is that you can't use the pad in a regular SNES afterwards, so the Super RetroPort is probably the best option. Get one at http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=29
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

uberpixel

Post by uberpixel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:27 am

Get the Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad. It's a Snes pad but with a USB connector. Works without driver installation on Win7.

I bought a pair in Tokyo and loved them so much, I got my friend who works for Konami to send me another 3 for 5 player Bomberman on ZSnes. :P

You can find them online via eBay or Google for other stockists.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:57 pm

I second the SNES retroport

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:46 pm

It depends on whether the OP thinks the SNES pad is worth bothering with. I'd say buy another brand USB pad instead tbh given how poor the SNES pad is.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:21 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:It depends on whether the OP thinks the SNES pad is worth bothering with. I'd say buy another brand USB pad instead tbh given how poor the SNES pad is.
Are you drunk?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:22 am

speedlolita wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:It depends on whether the OP thinks the SNES pad is worth bothering with. I'd say buy another brand USB pad instead tbh given how poor the SNES pad is.
Are you drunk?
No. Are you?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:01 am

:wink: Huzah.Someone else, who like myself thinks the Snes pad...not all that!.

Never understood the 'love' it or the G.C pad get.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:58 am

thevulture wrote:
:wink: Huzah.Someone else, who like myself thinks the Snes pad...not all that!.

Never understood the 'love' it or the G.C pad get.
Cheers! Seemingly because it had the diamond-shape button layout, shoulder buttons and wasn't as unergonomic as the abomination that was the NES pad the SNES controller gets lauded in some quarters as being great. It's not and nor was it ever. Released a fair time later than Mega Drive the controller for SNES was far less ergonomic than Sega's design. The d-pad and buttons were/are stodgy to press too - not a hundred miles removed from the 'dead flesh' feel of the keyboard on the original Speccy. Quite possibly the most overrated first party gamepad in console history, imho.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Exactly.For me? the only thing s it had in it's favour were:The shoulder buttons and being a marked improvement on the Nes pad.

It lacked any wieght, thus feeling like a toy, the button response never 'felt' right.Went to Snes after playing on a MD for years and thought...woah!...this is what's been called the superior pad? shurley shome mishtake....(Miss Moneypenny).

Thumbs down from myself.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm

I also should have referenced the PC Engine gamepad too as that of course came out even earlier than the Mega Drive. Its d-pad was also a whole load better than the feeble d-pad of the SNES pad.

Given the frequency with which SNES/Nintendo fans love to remind us all that it was Nintendo who reputedly first designed what we now know of as the d-pad back from the Game & Watch days (as opposed to four separate buttons for up/down/left/right) one would have perhaps thought they'd have come up with a decent one for the SNES pad...

Back on topic... it'd be interesting to hear of what other USB gamepads suitable for the OP's purpose are any good. The Saturn USB pad would be a no-no imho due to the difference in button layout... even though it's obviously a great overall design. I'm not sure what else is available to buy but, along with the OP, would be interested to learn of what's any good.

Despite what I've said here I do in fact own a SNES pad. I bought it for use with SNES games via Wii's VC for a more 'authentic' feel. I bought the SNES pad-to-GameCube/Wii adaptor as sold by that company referenced earlier in the thread. It certainly feels authentic - authentically crap, that is! :lol:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Duno, I always felt that the SNES pad was solid.

Much much better than the original Mega Drive pad.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 pm

6-button MD > SNES > 3-button MD

Neither are perfect though - SNES D-pad/buttons too stiff, MD a bit rattly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:32 pm

The SNES pad is an absolute atrocity for me.

I use a wonderful USB Saturn pad on my PC.