Your first Lego set

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retromax

Re: Your first Lego set

Post by retromax » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 am

My first Lego was a big homebrew beer making bucket 3/4 full of various bricks n stuff, also 12 of the lighter grey 1970's road boards.
I always regretted giving it away to my young cousin as it was never appreciated!!!

Years later When my little boy was at the right age we started to buy him Lego, stuff like the great big Lego police station and Indiana Jones mine track and various other sets and brick packs. I'd always wanted him to have the road boards too like I had as a kid as you could build an entire town but they always seem to fetch £5+ per board on ebay. One day I was at the carboot and this bloke had a big box of them and said he wanted £1 each!!!... counted them and there was 25.... so I offered him £20 and got the lot :D
We've probably spent over £500 on Lego over the last 10 years... occasionally it still gets played with, there are three 35l 'Really Useful boxes' full of it which I will never get rid of!!!, god knows where all the sets are as they are just mixed in with the rest but all the boxes and instruction sets are in the attic.

never too old to play with Lego :)
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 am

These are the first lego sets I remember getting as a tiny tot.
Im pretty sure I got 6803 first which was released in 1983. But the buggy is from 1979 so I could be completely wrong there.

We also had an inherited bucket of old lego that belonged to my Dad, including the remnants an old lego rail system with blue track pieces. Probably late 60's or early 70's stuff.

One of my favourites was the Taurien Ore Carrier (6985) which was a big blue space ship that could be split in two. I got that one for Xmas one year along with a rake of other sets.

I remember getting the space monorail (6990) for my birthday one year. To say I was well chuffed is an understatement.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:33 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: This is the biggest one we ever got:
I remember staring at the pics for this one in the catalogues and wishing that I could have it. Unfortunately as a kid, you had no money so a 'big' set only came around every birthday or Christmas and I never got this. I love those 90's Lego System boxes because there's just so much happening on the cover :)

My first one to kick-start an obsession was this 90's set:

Loved Lego so much as a kid. That Brickset site is amazing...brings back memories of all the sets I had and all that I only saw but didn't own. Sadly sold everything I owned years ago because there were boxes and boxes of it taking up untold amounts of space. On one hand I wish I still had it all but on the other, you just can't keep everything forever can you?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 am

My brother got two sets for Xmas! Looks like the obsession may be beginning again :D

He got these two:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Ive always loved lego, I have all my original lego sets but all the bits are split into block type now rather than original sets. As a kid I had (among a lot of other sets) a Space Monorail, Eldorado Fortress thing and a large Technics sports car.

More recently I bought myself a Lego Tower Bridge, quite a large set with a few thousand pieces. I built it, dismantled and sold it again for about £20 less than I had paid new :) great fun, took about 10+ hours to build.

I got my little cousin the Minecraft lego set for Christmas, mainly because I wanted it myself :) i've not been round since to have a go though.

Edit:

I also made these with my old lego quite recently...

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 pm

I inherited three large tubs of lego from my brother. Don't think I ever had any themed sets though, but used to love making planes and jumbo jets with my Dad. I believe all the lego has been passed on to my nephew now.
TwoHeadedBoy wrote: This is the biggest one we ever got:
I remember my friend who lived a few doors away had this one. Was an awesome set!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Megamixer wrote:
My first one to kick-start an obsession was this 90's set:

I had that one as a kid!!! Thank you for the flashback :D

I remember getting a bucket from my cousins, and small playsets when my dad came home from his cross-country business trips. However the set that sticks in memory was one my grandfather gave me for christmas:

(pic taken from google, my set is long gone!)

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:14 pm

What was the next step up from Lego? It was metal but it wasn't Meccano, it was owned by Lego. Any ideas?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:49 am

Funnily enough, my first set was the earlier version of the Service Station in the OP....

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:47 am

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 pm

retromax wrote:My first Lego was a big homebrew beer making bucket 3/4 full of various bricks n stuff, also 12 of the lighter grey 1970's road boards.
I always regretted giving it away to my young cousin as it was never appreciated!!!
My lego was kept in an old home-brew bucket too ha ha. If I was on a serious build and really need some specific parts the whole lot would get poured out and my mum would go mad at the mess. Dunno why really, I could scoop it all back up with the aid of a few Town bases in like 10 minutes!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:36 am

^My Star Wars and Action Force figs n' accessories were kept in a home brew tub, too! Great things, they are, wish I had some now! :D

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 pm

My Matchbox and Corgi cars are all in a home brew tub!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Actually my toy cars went into the 'brew tube eventually too! I guess brewing your own beer then giving the tubs to your kids was popular in the 70s and 80s eh ?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 am

Combo-Breaker wrote:What was the next step up from Lego? It was metal but it wasn't Meccano, it was owned by Lego. Any ideas?
Technic? Those were more advanced and some sets were remote control models.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.