Annuals - pdf ?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroAerosmith

Annuals - pdf ?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 am

With Christmas coming trying to buy things that nobody really wants is a chore.

I heard that my sister was getting a kindle book reader or ipad soooo instead of spending masses of money I was hoping/wondering if its possible to either download pdf files of old girls annuals she used to read in the 70s or 80s...such as bunty or misty etc.

Or the only other option i can think of is to buy some off ebay and scan them onto my computer and maybe create a pdf file...taking into consideration i probably wont have time to do it properly.

Does anyone know of a way to get things like beano/topper/bunty/twinkle etc etc or if even if they would be available anyway?...just for me to know im not wasting my time searching.

I started doing it with an old topper annual but scanning each page isnt without its faults such as the pages being skew or the binder stopping the page scanning fully.

Greyfox

Re: Annuals - pdf ?

Post by Greyfox » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:13 am

no sadly these are not ready available online as PDF, you would have as you mentioned, I have searched for these myself for the wife..so the best thing is to Ebay a stack of them and then scan and create your pdf from there..which depending on the amount of annuals you get, is a long time consuming task..as some of the annuals are bigger than a4 in print size, so allot of trial and error with vignetting at corners going on etc which need correcting afterwards on some imaging software etc....but for a tip, recommended scanning resolutions of comics is normally based set at 1800dpi :shock: , but I think 250-300dpi would be fine for you..

hope this helps..

Grey.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Comics don't work well as PDFs on eReaders anyway. The images are too small for a full page, you can usually not read the text then. If you zoom in, then you've to pan about the page. Not so bad if the strip has been designed with these limitations in mind (or is small scale, like the 3-4 panel strips in newspapers) but for A4ish pages I've not had much joy.

iPad or other large tablet device is better.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the reply guys.

I didnt think too much into the real issues of doing it i guess. It would have been nice to have been able to re-view these old books, basically clearing any space theyd take up if id got them off ebay. I wasnt sure if zooming in on the images would make them pixely either...i was in the process of doing one of her grangehill books and the pages started falling out so whether im wrecking books for no reason ill have to consider it again. Its a pretty basic scanner printer too so various image options are probably not available....

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:47 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:I wasnt sure if zooming in on the images would make them pixely either...
You clearly don't have any of the Retro Gamer DVDs then!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward