Most wanted toys as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Re: Most wanted toys as a kid?

Post by joefish » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:41 am

pyroxian wrote:Image
Spot on with that one.
Thanks to eBay (and Ikea, I suppose) I now have a glass cabinet containing the entire 1979 LEGO Space line-up. :mrgreen:

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 am

I wanted some of the 'bigger' Transformers - had the likes of Bumblebee and a couple of Decepticons but never the likes of Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus etc. Always admired the Turtles blimp and van in the Argos catalogue too, as well as Ghostbuters' Ecto-3 (had 1 and 2).

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Mask - Switchblade (the helicopter / plane)

http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/switchblade.html

Always wanted Jetfire transformer, that purple battle cat panther thing from he-man and top trumps super heroes

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Years ago I bought all the Manta force stuff I could find for my stepson (because I'm a geek and it was too awesome not to and it was being sold off cheap because it was being discontinued) so the lucky sod had both the Big white / grey ship and the Red Venom, but also had the astro shark and one or two other ships. We still have them boxed up and in the loft, he's saving them for his own kids (along with his mountain of Lego)

Personally in the late 70's I wanted this:

Fortunately, my mother wasn't an idiot and bought me this instead:
which turned out to be the most popular toy ever with both me and all the people who played it over the next few years, and amazingly still works today!
HADDOCKEN!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Always wanted the Millennium Falcon, got it one year for Christmas and it was incredibly disappointing. Me and my brother destroyed it with hammers a year-and-a-bit later. Slave 1 was sh!t, too, the plastic bits at the back never quite slotted in properly. That eventually got hammered, too (the 'Han in carbonite' was an ace inclusion, though.)

The AT-AT was much better, you could (acceptably) pull its legs off and use it as a playset.

RetroPitstop

Post by RetroPitstop » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 am

I remember being somewhat of a pauper as a kid, and there was always this one kid who had the latest thing, I remember having not just one but ALL of the M.A.S.K vehicles and when I asked for a go he said I could for 20p. I begged my parents accordingly following that traumatic ordeal!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm

We didn't have a lot, but we did OK, and my parents did wonders at Christmas. I remember one kid, my brother's age, who always had the latest and greatest toys, like the 'Slam Bang Sam' cars - battery-operated remote control (on a wire) VW-beetle cars that broke bits off when they collided. I was jealous, until my Mum pointed out that he was an only child, and all the toys and games said 'for 2-4 players'...

RetroWench

Post by RetroWench » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 am

I never got a Mr Frosty! Although I've since heard that it was somewhat of a disappointment! :(

The best christmas ever was the one where my parents bought me a (second-hand) boxed breadbin C64 with loads of games, when I was about 8, I think. I had no idea what one was or what it did, but had so much fun finding out! :D

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:56 am

RetroWench wrote:I never got a Mr Frosty! Although I've since heard that it was somewhat of a disappointment! :(
every year i asked for one of these as a kid and never got one. finally an ex-girlfriend bought me one for christmas a few years ago, and i can confirm it was a bit sh*t. whether that was because it's all just lumps of plastic now, or if indeed, it always was - i can't say.... :lol:

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah I always wanted a Mr Frosty, never got one.

I also wanted the LCD Afterburner. Never got that either!

http://a.parsons.edu/~lik43/wirelesstoy/?p=220

It looked AMAZING!!!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

dreiber

Post by dreiber » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:12 am

I had all the toys from the famous cartoons in the 80s. All the Transformers, all the He-Man action figures or the dinoriders toys. You name i had it.

Why do I say had it? My mom has trown them in the trash last year when cleaning the attic :(

That sucked big time :(

sg1000

Post by sg1000 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:21 pm

The T-rex from jurassic park and the car

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:48 pm

It didn't actually exist but after renting Transformers the Movie from my Video store like 5 times I really wanted a Unicron transformer!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:54 pm

GunstarHero wrote:It didn't actually exist but after renting Transformers the Movie from my Video store like 5 times I really wanted a Unicron transformer!
Better late than never...:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__unicron+armada

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:01 pm

joefish wrote:
GunstarHero wrote:It didn't actually exist but after renting Transformers the Movie from my Video store like 5 times I really wanted a Unicron transformer!
Better late than never...:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__unicron+armada
Its a bit lame really, should be at least 4 times bigger!

Just found my Transformers the Movie DVD on my shelf, taken it down in preparation for watching it a gain at some point.