The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

the_retro_bear

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by the_retro_bear » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:51 pm

psj3809 wrote:I think its a great matchup. Granted the Giants were 9-7 but theyre currently on a hot streak, seen too often in past seasons a team starts off 6-0 and then cools down the stretch when its the most important games. The Giants rushing attack is improving but they were ranked 31st all year, i'm amazed at the year Eli Manning has, you dont normally think of the Giants as a team with a 4000+ yard passer !

Disagree with the 'Brady will rip them to shreds' bit, i mean go back a few years when NE were 18-0 and i'm sure people thought they would win 56-0 in the final !

New England hadnt beaten any team with a winning record until Baltimore and to be honest they were very lucky to come away with that one. The Giants secondary is poor, the S Phillips is terrible but their d-line is superb and Coughlin created a superb gameplan last time and it'll be interesting to see what he does this time for the final.

Brady will want revenge big time on the Giants so i think its fascinating to see what they do.

But yeah losing in the Championship game to me is worse than the Superbowl. On the plus side you've got a very good coach, some great talent on defense but sadly theres a few key players to be signed and you cant franchise them all. Thats what i hate about free agency, you draft some great talent and then a fair few leave for nothing.

Amazing year for Alex Smith though but the pressures on him next year. Michael Crabtree had a great year but was invisible in the playoffs near enough.
Agreed with the point about Eli - he has had a great year no doubt about it. But for me its a case of stopping Eli then you stop the Giants - they haven't a running game to fall back on.

I still think NE will win the Super Bowl. 5 years ago they beat themselves, this time around they haven't got the pressure of a perfect season or continuing a dynasty. I'll take my hat off to the Giants if they do win it, but NE for me start at least 1 touchdown favourites.

I am glad we beat the Saints because it showed everyone we can beat a good team and not just rely on the weakness of the teams in our division. We beat a lot of good teams this year home and away but its obvious we need help on the O side of the ball. Alex has to step up next year and show this wasn't a one off. Oh and I like Crabtree - I just think if they threw to him more often he'd be better - last night they didn't throw it anyone other then Vernon Davis. And why have they stopped throwing to Gore ?? He had less than 20 catches all season long !

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Sorry Boggy! On both counts!! I'm a Spurs supporter too... so close to a point, but it was definitley a pen :( I had one eye on the Ravens / Pats and one on MOTD 2 at one point last night! :lol:

Agree with PSJ about the Ravens. They had all the momentum towards the end and, I believe, would have gone on to win that game. They should have wrapped it up with that dropped TD pass. I was totally deflated after the missed field goal and the look of disbelief on the faces of the Ravens was such an emotional sight. Now NE stroll onto the SB ... Bah!

The GIants @ Niners game was hard to judge. Both defences played great and, in the conditions, boths teams put on good displays in general. I was worried about the Giants when I read the news regarding illness that Eli and a few of the team had - I listened to a few of the ex-pros who were writing them off for that reason! :roll: Agree with you guys that Smith was poor, but I don't think he always had a lot of options. He's had a decent season so it's a shame he didn't go out with a bang. Eli looked very unflustered despite getting nailed on a few ocassions. This game could have gone either way. Although I've liked the Niners this season, and thought they'd do well, I'm pleased the Giants won.

Onto the Super Bowl then. I've got the Monday booked off too and I can't wait. So, without further ado, Stuff NE! I SO want them to lose! NE only just beat the Giants in the regular season and I do think they'll be more worried about what the Giants can do to them rather than the other way around. I've liked what I've seen of the Giants since they beat the Jets ( :( ) - an apparent turning point for Coughlin's team. The Giants were my team to win the Superbowl entering the playoffs and they still are. Eli is in great form and the team are coming into the Super Bowl hot with a lot of self-belief. Third down conversions have been very impressive. The Pats D will not put Eli under as much pressure and they won't stop the running game like the Niners did and, to be fair, the Giants haven't been too shoddy running the football this season (1400+ yds). I think Bradshaw and Jacobs will get their chances in the Super Bowl and if Eli gets time to look down field and throw he will and he'll make the plays. Contrast that to the Giants D and I think they'll do a better job of shutting down Brady hopefully snuffing out the big plays all together. Gronk and Hernadez are unbelievably good though and the Gianst will have to be aware of their threat.

These two weeks are going to drag. SB XLVI promises to be an awesome game. GO BIG BLUE!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:39 am

Yeah i'm with the Giants all the way ! Have a soft spot for them as they made me so happy a few years back when they beat NE in that epic bit of history !

Thats why i love the Superbowl, on paper to some neutrals it might not look great but this is an epic rematch, and its the Superbowl ! Where history is made.

Boring week coming up with the yawnfest that is the Pro Bowl, shame it'll all be over soon but at least the offseason will be interesting.

And Boggy ! Couldnt believe you ! You finding out the result ! I thought you would have tried to watch it or at least see the highlights on BBC1 and avoid the score ?! Biggest game in over 10 years for the Niners ! Shame on you ! ;)

Must be tough being a Ravens fan, thinking you're there and then that happens, ouch. But just hope the Giants get the job done, would hate to see NE win yet another one

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:35 am

psj3809 wrote:Yeah i'm with the Giants all the way ! Have a soft spot for them as they made me so happy a few years back when they beat NE in that epic bit of history !
Yep, that was a brilliant win. Buress' last moment TD was very special. He was in pieces too apparently - all taped up and unable to make all the cuts. I read a book called GIANT over Christmas, it's by Plaxico Buress & it's not a literary masterpiece(!), but a great story of his life & career up to the end of that Super Bowl. Reading that book helped me get behind them in the post season. Something I've found more difficult in the past being a Jets fan!
psj3809 wrote:Boring week coming up with the yawnfest that is the Pro Bowl, shame it'll all be over soon but at least the offseason will be interesting.
I'm going to dodge this too. It'll be the first Sunday in a long time when I'll get to bed at a reasonable time!
psj3809 wrote:Must be tough being a Ravens fan, thinking you're there and then that happens, ouch. But just hope the Giants get the job done, would hate to see NE win yet another one
Absolutely - on both counts. I'm not a Ravens fan at all but I don't mind them, and losing to NE like that is hard way to go.

I'm going to get as much of the Super Bowl build up as I can. The more positivity I can muster towards the Giants, and loathing for NE, the better! :twisted: Speaking of which, time to tune into ESPN 1050.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 am

I may Sky+ the Pro Bowl but no way stay up late for it. Its avoiding the results which i find tricky what with websites/twitter etc.

The Superbowls the last few years have been very close, in the good old days it was always a blowout ! Remember to order your Superbowl programme ! I'm looking forward to that night, hopefully i can get a bit of sleep in the day so i wont have to survive on 5 cans of red bull !

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 am

Where do you get your programme from, psj? I've not thought of doing that before.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:24 am

Got mine from here for about the last 10 years...

http://www.greatamericansports.co.uk/

Got Superbowl 20 onwards, years back i bought a few on ebay so i've got the programs for SB 15 and 18 for the Raiders. One of the best things i love are the 'weekly roundups' as it brings back memories when you browse through it years later.

Can also recommend the official NFL dvds, bought the Raiders collection from amazon.com but best of all the Superbowl Series is stunning, you get the Superbowls but again one of the best things is (specially on the later ones, eg 1977 onwards) you get the road to the superbowl 30-40 minute documentary about the seasons

Heres one of them...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NFL-Super-Bowl- ... 700&sr=1-2

You'll need to be able to play US dvds (Sure everyone can nowadays), these sets are well worth it. I've got all 4 which have been released so far

They also do team histories, i love the Raiders one, heres the Jets one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-York-Je ... 767&sr=1-1

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:51 pm

psj3809 wrote:Got mine from here for about the last 10 years...

http://www.greatamericansports.co.uk/

Got Superbowl 20 onwards, years back i bought a few on ebay so i've got the programs for SB 15 and 18 for the Raiders. One of the best things i love are the 'weekly roundups' as it brings back memories when you browse through it years later.

Can also recommend the official NFL dvds, bought the Raiders collection from amazon.com but best of all the Superbowl Series is stunning, you get the Superbowls but again one of the best things is (specially on the later ones, eg 1977 onwards) you get the road to the superbowl 30-40 minute documentary about the seasons

Heres one of them...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NFL-Super-Bowl- ... 700&sr=1-2

You'll need to be able to play US dvds (Sure everyone can nowadays), these sets are well worth it. I've got all 4 which have been released so far

They also do team histories, i love the Raiders one, heres the Jets one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-York-Je ... 767&sr=1-1
Cheers, matey, that's great. I'll get a Super Bowl programme and that Jets DVD :) I'd spotted the dvd before but I wasn't sure it'd be any good, but on your recommendation I'll give it a shot.

I saw the story regarding HC at Raiders >> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... st10_Daily Is this official then?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 am

Yeah practically official, theyre waiting for all this Senior bowl stuff to be over before announcing it.

I'm quite glad with the move, Hue Jackson messed up last season with all the talk of the power/his team and how he wanted to make big changes, how he felt he could do the GM job etc. After the final loss he went all childlish with the media slating the players etc, then realised what he did. School boy error.

Anyway the new guy is very good, Pro Football Talk said it best when they said the Raiders are trying to find the next best coach now instead of 2-3 years time when Allen is a huge name etc. They did it with Gruden and they hope they've done it with Allen as hes an up and coming coach.

The Raiders offense is fine, a lot of talent, had injuries last year but when healthy they'll be fine. The defense was the huge question mark, 3rd worst in Raider history, allowed the most yards passing/passing touchdowns in Raider history and were terrible stopping the run. If Allen and his new co ordinator (whoever that is) just upgrade the defense from say 31st to 20th that'll make a huge huge difference. The penalties have to be cut as well, an NFL record last year. SO just a 'small' improvement defensively which will surely happen will help out a ton.

I'm so glad its not a retread coach like Morwhinweg or Tice, i hope the new coach gets 4 years minimum and none of this silly 'sack them after one or two years' which Al used to. Need continuity, the Steelers have had only 3 coaches in their history, need to give the new guy time.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:21 am

Well i'm looking forward to tonight, going to try and get some sleep this afternoon.

Put a bit of money on the Giants to win to make the game more exciting (not great odds), hopefully should be a good un, really want the Giants to win.

Got tomorrow booked off, saying that i have to leave early as i'm driving down to the south coast tomorrow so i would rather leave early instead of later on when it'll get freezing again.

Hope its a good game, quite a few of the last 10 Superbowls have been great as they used to be a blowout. Then roll on free agency!

Giants 35-31

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:50 am

psj3809 wrote:Well i'm looking forward to tonight, going to try and get some sleep this afternoon.

Put a bit of money on the Giants to win to make the game more exciting (not great odds), hopefully should be a good un, really want the Giants to win.

Got tomorrow booked off, saying that i have to leave early as i'm driving down to the south coast tomorrow so i would rather leave early instead of later on when it'll get freezing again.

Hope its a good game, quite a few of the last 10 Superbowls have been great as they used to be a blowout. Then roll on free agency!

Giants 35-31
Oh yes! Looking forward to this too. I'm going to try for a nap this afternoon but I might not manage to with the wean running riot. I'm out at the ice hockey tonight too so no early eve nap once the wean's in bed. Still, Dundee vs Fife so a pretty big ice hockey game and I'll be back in time to sit down and watch the Super Bowl.

I'm sticking with the Giants to win, as I have throughout the post season. Well really, against the Pats, there's little choice! Unless there could be a draw? Can there? Please!? :wink: :lol: 10,000 odd votes cast on an ESPN poll yesterday had the Pats at 65% to win.

Both teams sound confident. Looks like Gronk is not going to be as effective due to the ankle injury. Pats released wide receiver Tiquan Underwood yesterday - Super Bowl eve! Poor guy! The theory being that they've brought up a defensive lineman to take Gronk's spot on the special team. I hope Gronk plays a part. Can't have the Pats lose and have excuses! I think Cruz will need to step up, make some big plays and live up to the reputation he's beginning to get.

The score I'm not sure if it'll be tight and low or tight and high! It'll be tight either way! Ummm .. I'll go midway Giants 24 - 20

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 am

Yeah i felt bad for that guy, he'll still get a SB ring if the Pats win but he wont get any extra money, he would have got about 40k for a loser in the SB, much more for a winner obviously.

Looks like Chad Ochocinco will be active then !

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Nearly time.....

Bowls of pretzels ready
Hot dogs ready... to be cooked at half time.
Energy drink chilled to perfection.

COME ON BIG BLUE!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 pm

CRUZ!! What a quarter so far for the Giants! Early days, but take that Brady Bunch!

Time for the Giants D to stop the Pats again.... :twisted:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Giants dominated most of that half. But damn a huge Pats drive at the end to take the lead

Frustrating. Giants were driving a 9-3 up but had that huge penalty on that 3rd down conversion.

Come on Giants