The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:49 am

Mire Mare wrote:LA Raiders definitely has a better ring to it.

Schottenheimer isn't returning to the Jets. Tony Sparano has joined as offensive coach in his place. All very quick .. .. .. Was Schotty pushed? Probably. I don't know too much about Sparano other than Miami sacked him from HC this season and he sounds like he's a Soprano!
Pah no Oakland is the best as they were there for years in the 60s 70s and the last 15 years. BUT as i dont live out there to be honest i'm not super fussed, if they moved to LA they should get a ton of money, big names, great stadium etc so i think they should move. But roll on this weekend, cant believe i'll be cheering on Denver !

Sparano is a good co ordinator and did a good job for Dallas a few years back (Hence he got the Miami job), i think he falls into the Norv Turner type category when they're better co ordinators rather than headcoaches.

I'm really interested to see what the Colts do with Manning, they cant afford to keep him and Andrew Luck (Despite the rookie cap being much lower) surely, if they cut him then the Jets are rumoured to pick him up

As for Oakland i think Carson Palmer will do well next year with a full offseason, healthy WR's and McFadden back. A new defensive coach, if they can just get a slight improvement it'll make a HUGE difference as the defense was awful this year. BUT saying that its a shame Oakland have no picks in rounds 1-3 (They will get i think two 3rd round picks back for compensation for losing Aso/Zach Miller) as i reckon McKenzie would have tried to get that Green Bay backup QB (Matt Flynn) as he'll be a FA next year

The offseason should be interesting

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 am

Raiding Green Bay staff - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... st10_Daily

Some interesting happenings already at Oakland. Guess it'll be after the Packers season ends that we'll know for sure if the Raiders will go for Dom Capers. He's a DC at Green Bay so could be a great choice for Oakland in terms of the need for defence coaching and head coach. At least one plus I can see is he doesn't shoot his mouth of like Rex Ryan!

The more I think about it the more I think Jets would be mad to take Peyton. He's a great QB but only has a few more seasons left in him. I think they need to stick with Sanchez for another season. They do need to get him some serious support and coaching through a former top QB, experienced backup. If Peyton came as a QB coach that'd be good.... not going to happen though unless that neck injury is the end of his playing career. If it isn't Peyton will have a number of choices of teams that want his services.

The NY rumour mill is going full pelt about Sanchez and the locker room disputes. There have been unnamed statements by Jets players outing Sanchez as complacent and work shy. Other players are defending him. Sounds a mess however it's looked at! I was reading about Sparano yesterday and he's got a good record. Seems he's not been the play caller as OC though :?

Anyway, it's divisional playoff weekend and I can't wait! NY @ GB and Saints @ 49ers are must watch games for me. Texans I'm not too fussed about seeing and Denver @ NE .. .. well that could be a cracking game or it could be a NE whitewash. I'm really hoping Denver rain on the NE parade.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:18 am

Well what a game last night - NO/SF, didnt think the Niners would win that at all, epic game. One of those games which you'll remember for a long time, classic playoff game.

As for the Pats/Broncos, the Pats were superb, Brady was on fire, Tebow went back to being 'cold' as he looked like that late this season. I know its not all his fault, he wasnt playing defense etc but he didnt do well at all in that huge game. Cant stand the Pats so i'll be now wanting the Ravens to beat Houston as they stand a chance against NE

The late game should be an epic, hope the Packers win that.

But that 49ers game, epic, i was cheering on the Saints but i must admit that ending was superb, if that pass is incomplete then it'll be a FG and overtime. Huge huge play

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 pm

J - E - T - S! Jets Jets Je.. .. GIANTS! :oops: What a game at Lambeau. Pardon the pun, but the Giants were massive. Eli stepped up to the mark again and gave the Packers D a tough time. GB offence were not themselves, compared to the rest to their impressive season, but credit to the Giants for forcing a lot of the GB errors. I've had a feeling that big blue would do some damage in the playoffs. They seem to have belief and momentum.

Ravens did a good job against Houston. I'm also pleased they're taking on NE for the same reason - they're more likely to make a game of it and cause an upset. Fingers crossed!

Giants at 49ers is going to be epic. I've liked what I've seen on the Niners this season but I'm going to stick with the Giants going all the way. I need to watch the highlights of Saturdays games tomorrow night on the BBC 2 programme. It's impossible to watch Sunday games without finding out the results but I'm still looking forward to seeing the Saints & 49ers highlights.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:02 am

Well down to the final 4, want the Ravens to beat the Pats but cant see it happening, the Ravens werent great last week but Houston have a very good defense, NE dont.

In the NFC i badly want the Giants to win as i'm not a Niners fan at all (sorry boggy !).

As always it'll come down to turnovers, the Packers self destructed early on, end of the first half they called that timeout when the Giants did a basic sweep and the half would have been over, then they replayed 3rd down again because of the TO and had that long run to set up the hail mary. Then of course the fumble late on which was returned nearly for a td, bad bad game by the Packers.

But bit tired today but not too bad, i love the AFC/NFC games next week, huge piece of history you watch, hope there'll be no controversial finishes. Cant stand NE though but they are looking very good.

Ordered my SB programme already (got the last 25 !) so should get that soonish. In between the Superbowl and the championship games is the Pro Bowl, probably wont bother with that, i do love my american footy but i find that so dull

Looking forward to seeing who the Raiders will hire now that GB are out of the playoffs, surely its Winston Moss

But looks like Boggy will be biting his nails big time this sunday ! To me losing in the championship game is much worse than losing in the Superbowl, to not even get to the superbowl and lose a week early is the worst. With the Raiders i was gutted when they lost the 2000 AFC Game to Baltimore, when they finally got to the SB in 2002 i wasnt happy with the loss but the whole hoopla/event/hype of being in the final was brilliant

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Ravens vs NE is going to be a classic. HEad tells me that NE's attitude of scring one more than their opponents is creditable , but that very rarely wins you the Superbowl , and the Ravens are the most formidable opponents they've met - and will have absolutely no fear.

On the other side you simply cam't look past the Giants, but I can't see either winning the Superbowl.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Ravens vs NE is going to be a classic. HEad tells me that NE's attitude of scring one more than their opponents is creditable , but that very rarely wins you the Superbowl , and the Ravens are the most formidable opponents they've met - and will have absolutely no fear.

On the other side you simply cam't look past the Giants, but I can't see either winning the Superbowl.
I was totally, 100% convinced that the Giants were going to win the NFC. Then I watched the highlights of the Niners win over the Saints and I began to feel a little less confident. The Niners were up for that game and when they went behind, with very little time left, they dug deep and pulled it out. Amazing stuff. I've heard a lot of folk saying the Giants won their Superbowl against the Pack and so won't be as up for SF. I don't agree with that. I think beating the Pack will drive them on. It's going to be some game and close to call. I'll stick with the G men as I already said.

I can't see past a NE win. I just don't think the Ravens are good enough. They struggled playing against the 3rd string Houston quarter back so I can't see them handling Brady at the moment. NE will need to go into the game over confident, underestimating the Ravens for the Ravens to have a chance.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Mire Mare wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Ravens vs NE is going to be a classic. HEad tells me that NE's attitude of scring one more than their opponents is creditable , but that very rarely wins you the Superbowl , and the Ravens are the most formidable opponents they've met - and will have absolutely no fear.

I was totally, 100% convinced that the Giants were going to win the NFC. Then I watched the highlights of the Niners win over the Saints and I began to feel a little less confident. The Niners were up for that game and when they went behind, with very little time left, they dug deep and pulled it out. Amazing stuff. I've heard a lot of folk saying the Giants won their Superbowl against the Pack and so won't be as up for SF. I don't agree with that. I think beating the Pack will drive them on. It's going to be some game and close to call. I'll stick with the G men as I already said.

I can't see past a NE win. I just don't think the Ravens are good enough. They struggled playing against the 3rd string Houston quarter back so I can't see them handling Brady at the moment. NE will need to go into the game over confident, underestimating the Ravens for the Ravens to have a chance.
Whatever happens, I really look forward to the playoff for the Superbowl. Quite often the final itself is overshadowed by the glitz and glamour of the occasion - but the divisional finals are the best 2 games of the season for my money. Will pull up achair , few nice cold beers and maybe a few hot-dogs. 8)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:03 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Whatever happens, I really look forward to the playoff for the Superbowl. Quite often the final itself is overshadowed by the glitz and glamour of the occasion - but the divisional finals are the best 2 games of the season for my money. Will pull up achair , few nice cold beers and maybe a few hot-dogs. 8)
Hot dogs and beer! My kind of party 8) :lol:

Giants game kicks off at 11.30pm which will be too late for me. I'll have to watch it on Monday night. I suppose I'll have to watch NE, but I'll be cheering the Ravens!!
Last edited by Mire Mare on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 am

Yep love the conference championships, witnessing a bit of history and hoping for an epic game which people will be talking about 20 years later.

I'll watch the first hour of the Giants game and then come back to it the following morning/evening. Just want those Patriots to lose !!

Sad the season is nearly over but the Superbowl in recent years has been exceptional so i'm looking forward to that also (Following day already booked off). With no strike the offseason will be exciting this year and free agency starts late Feb.

Still eager to know who the Raiders will have as HC, some interviews have scared me (Tice/Morwhinweg) but i cant believe theyre serious. Apparently they'll announce their HC early next week which i hope is true.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:30 am

Sorry Boggy ! I know what its like to lose one game away from the Superbowl

GUTTED the Patriots made it, there goes another bunch of 16 year old NFL fans who jump on the Patriots bandwagon now. Ravens had that in the bag at the end, were driving, was 3rd and 4th and 1, was hoping Flacco was going to run for the first down. But a terrible drop by Evans who should have held on (Great effort though by Sterling Moore - gutted the Raiders cut this rookie) and then of course the shanked FG. Arrrgh !

Very good game but the Pats were very lucky at the end i thought.

As for the 49ers/Giants, the conditions ruined the game slightly, epic game by Manning who was hit hard a lot, i know its just one game but Alex Smith seemed to revert back to his old self, what was it, 1 or 2 completions to his WR's ? Did make some very good throws but he needed to step it up. Was hoping for a crazy overtime game due to the new rules. But that 49ers punt returner, ouch ! Nightmare nightmare game, he was only returning punts as Tedd Ginn was out.

Well the Pro Bowl is next week (dont care for that), got the day booked off after the Superbowl as its a historic event, looking forward to it, my SB programme should be turning up now in the next week or so.

Raiders still looking for a HC, should happen this week but i heard McKenzie contacted Gruden but i cant see Gruden coming back sadly

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 am

Yeah I was gutted about the result.. but wish the Giants all the best for the final... I haven't seen any yet but will now only skim through the action as I know the result..

What with Spurs losing it turned into a real crap day of sport yesterday.. :(

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

the_retro_bear

Post by the_retro_bear » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:10 am

Being a 49ers fan was absolutely gutted crawling into bed close to 4am this morning.

Agree with your post psj about Alex Smith - seemed as if everything he did right last week he did wrong this week, but then again I am sure a lot of that is down to fairly conservative play calling.

However I can't agree with the theories about this Giants team - no way are they as good as people say. The first team to get to the big game with a 9-7 record ??? 5 weeks ago they were dead and buried. Once the route to Cruz was shut down at the start of the 3rd Quarter the Giants had no offensive weapons at all, their run defence was poor all night long and their secondary wasn't tested - Brady will rip them to shreds in the Super Bowl.

Whilst I have no love for the Patriots I do think they are the better team and hope they win the Super Bowl. Not that I think I can be bothered to watch it now as a Patriots-Giants rematch has generates no interest for me sadly.

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:58 pm

I think its a great matchup. Granted the Giants were 9-7 but theyre currently on a hot streak, seen too often in past seasons a team starts off 6-0 and then cools down the stretch when its the most important games. The Giants rushing attack is improving but they were ranked 31st all year, i'm amazed at the year Eli Manning has, you dont normally think of the Giants as a team with a 4000+ yard passer !

Disagree with the 'Brady will rip them to shreds' bit, i mean go back a few years when NE were 18-0 and i'm sure people thought they would win 56-0 in the final !

New England hadnt beaten any team with a winning record until Baltimore and to be honest they were very lucky to come away with that one. The Giants secondary is poor, the S Phillips is terrible but their d-line is superb and Coughlin created a superb gameplan last time and it'll be interesting to see what he does this time for the final.

Brady will want revenge big time on the Giants so i think its fascinating to see what they do.

But yeah losing in the Championship game to me is worse than the Superbowl. On the plus side you've got a very good coach, some great talent on defense but sadly theres a few key players to be signed and you cant franchise them all. Thats what i hate about free agency, you draft some great talent and then a fair few leave for nothing.

Amazing year for Alex Smith though but the pressures on him next year. Michael Crabtree had a great year but was invisible in the playoffs near enough.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 pm

In NFL a good defence usually beats a better offence - but I still think NE will beat the Giants - it's payback time!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"