The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mire Mare

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Aaaaargh! KC just fumbled a punt and Denver recovered the ball!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:34 pm

Well gutted.

Oakland had a great chance, 31-26 and then a 'crazy' kick off where the Chargers player nearly gets caught for a safety and then nearly fumbles it, instead hes ruled down on the half yard line. But then San Diego killed the game off with a 99 yard drive. All season long the defense has been dire under the Raiders def co ordinator, the offense just cant keep scoring when the defense has a nightmare as they did today (no sacks, allowed a ton of yards, including over 100 to a backup running back)

I wish Denver actually had won as this loss would have been easier to handle. But all season long i thought the Raiders were a year too early, next year is when i expect playoffs with a healthy starting offense and a new defense co ordinator.

I want a GM which should happen and a new defensive co ordinator. But i'll miss these late sunday nights at my computer watching all the Raider games on gamepass. But damn they had their chances, threw it away

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:14 am

Gutted for both of you..

I was watching the NFL.com score centre all night and was shouting for both teams.. I thought they were both going to come back and win, esp the Jets..

It's always the way,Paul.. You need a result elsewhere to go in your favour and when it does your team fail.. Happens in footie all the time..

I even thought the 49'ers were going to throw it away at the end...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:17 am

We'll just have to join you, Boggy, in supporting the Niners! Plus any team the Pats play against.

Jets season = Inconsistency, poor O Line, Sanchez' poor decisions, defence not what Rex Ryan is renown for and locker room tantrums.

I've been reading ESPN NY about the unrest in the Jets yesterday. I saw the shoving and arguing during the match in the huddle and also saw Holmes sitting on the sidelines during the last few minutes of the game. Seems he spat the dummy and lost his focus instead of pulling together with the rest of the offence. His team mates had had it with him and let him know!

There have been hints of unrest for a lot of the season. I reckon the first news out of the Jets off season will be that Schotty has had it as OC. Now it's all over for this season I can sit back and enjoy the playoffs without any stress! It's no bad thing the Jets missed the play offs. They ave a lot to sort out.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Well it seems more surprising that they were still in the hunt for some post season action with all that going on!

I don't think PSJ will be supporting the Niners.. Not being an Oakland fan and all.. ;)

Tbh I think I preferred them being LA Raiders.. Sounded cooler.. :)

B.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Ok, you guys fancy making a prediction for the two teams to get to the Super Bowl 46?

I can't see anyone, except perhaps the Ravens, stopping NE in the AFL,so I'll go with NE :( NFL is trickier to choose. For me Green Bay is the obvious choice, but I'd like to see SF or the Giants do it. I'll go with the Giants.

Super Bowl 46 prediction - Pats vs Giants

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:36 am

I cant see the Niners doing it at all, think their record totally flatters them, dont get me wrong they play very well in Harbaughs system but i just dont see them as a championship team.

I'm going for the obvious i'm afraid New England vs Green Bay. New Orleans/Green Bay would be a great NFC Game though, the Saints are on fire and narrowly lost to GB in week 1

I cant stand NE so i hope they dont make it, hope the Ravens beat them, cant see anyone else as Big Ben is hobbled in Pittsburgh and some of the other AFC teams (Denver, Houston, Cincy) are very weak.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:51 am

I agree I don't think my boys will do it.. me may have flattered to deceive this year, but I am confident we can move forward and be a strong team for a season or two..

GB V NE for me also.. can't see it being any different tbh...

B.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 am

I'm not a Niners fan but i am a 'old skool' NFL fan so i love it when teams such as Dallas/Chicago/SF etc make the playoffs.

Cant stand these teams like Houston/Atlanta in the playoffs, feels wrong ! Hope they lose instantly ! I cant stand Denver and i think Tebow is totally over-hyped but it is fascinating seeing one team play like its the 1940's, just makes a change from the usual 5 WR set etc. Pittsburgh are a true old skool team so i hope they do well but with an injury to Big Ben and their leading RB out for the playoffs it'll be tricky. But the atmosphere at these playoff games are amazing, should be great to watch.

Wifes not happy with the next two weekends as theres two games on saturday and 2 on sunday both weekends ! I'll be missing the sunday games sadly (Customer visit on the monday) so i'll be avoiding the score and watching those when i'm back.

Offseason should be interesting this year as theres no players strike, free agency/draft etc. Just hope my team hire a new defensive co ordinator and finally a GM , then i'll be happy

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:46 am

So it's the Saints then for the Niners.. Gonna be tough..

I'm with you psj about old skool.. I always like it when the old teams do well.. Just seems right..

B.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying the games tonight. So much more relaxing when you're not watching the team you support!

Giants game was a great watch and a fantastic win. Giants D was immense and offence got going in 2nd half. My tip for the Superbowl are over hurdle 1.

Watching Steelers now. Both teams going for some deep plays in the last few minutes with Denver currently leading. Big Ben is looking ok so far.

I didn't see Saturdays games but I've seen the results. No surprises really.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 am

Well i was away for a day so had to miss sundays games, watched them late last night. Cant believe Tim Tebow, arrgh ! He did play very very well though and made a lot of big plays passing which surprised me. I cant see him getting past the Pats, i'm torn on who i want to win. I hate the Pats and want them to lose every game but now theyre playing Tebow and the Broncos ! For once i'll be cheering on the Pats!

Yeah i'm jealous my teams not in the playoffs and i'm not just saying it but i cant see the Niners winning, then again you never know but Saints/Packers would be an amazing NFC Game. Another good weekend coming up with 4 great games, love this stage when the 'big boys' get involved. Must be New England/Baltimore in the AFC Game, really hope NE dont get to the SB though.

I'm happy, Raiders hired a great GM in Reggie McKenzie so thats a brilliant start.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 am

Looking forward to the games this weekend

Sad to see the Raiders coach get sacked, BUT he was his own worst enemy after the final game where he was blaming everyone but himself. Now hes acting just as immature whinging and moaning to anyone who will listen, most coaches who get fired dont open up any cans of worms and get on with getting another job. You can tell Hue was a rookie HC the way hes been with the media, schoolboy error.

I'm still happy with the Raiders GM, theres rumours they might move to LA which i think would be good, proper stadium etc.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:17 pm

psj3809 wrote:Looking forward to the games this weekend

Sad to see the Raiders coach get sacked, BUT he was his own worst enemy after the final game where he was blaming everyone but himself. Now hes acting just as immature whinging and moaning to anyone who will listen, most coaches who get fired dont open up any cans of worms and get on with getting another job. You can tell Hue was a rookie HC the way hes been with the media, schoolboy error.

I'm still happy with the Raiders GM, theres rumours they might move to LA which i think would be good, proper stadium etc.
The return of LA Raiders! Hurrah!! :)

B.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:28 pm

boggyb68 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Looking forward to the games this weekend

The return of LA Raiders! Hurrah!! :)

B.
LA Raiders definitely has a better ring to it.

Schottenheimer isn't returning to the Jets. Tony Sparano has joined as offensive coach in his place. All very quick .. .. .. Was Schotty pushed? Probably. I don't know too much about Sparano other than Miami sacked him from HC this season and he sounds like he's a Soprano!