The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 am

boggyb68 wrote:Love NFL, don't watch it as much these days but back in the day I was an avid 49'ers fan.. Still keep an eye on it though...

B.
Yep i'm all excited. The season kicks off this week, they have a kickoff game now on thursday nights so i'll watch it friday as it'll be a late one otherwise.

Then its all systems go on sunday on Sky (i've got the choice of games on nfl.com/gamepass so i'm happy !). The wifes wondering why i keep doing the late shift for the baby this week and shes now realised why ! Need a 'pass' for sunday !

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:47 am

psj3809 wrote: Yep i'm all excited. The season kicks off this week, they have a kickoff game now on thursday nights so i'll watch it friday as it'll be a late one otherwise.

Then its all systems go on sunday on Sky (i've got the choice of games on nfl.com/gamepass so i'm happy !). The wifes wondering why i keep doing the late shift for the baby this week and shes now realised why ! Need a 'pass' for sunday !
Now after this thread I am going to make an effort to watch it this season.. hope the 49'ers have a good draft and play reasonably well.. otherwise I will call for the return of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice!! :) Or even Steve young! ;)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:14 am

Well the initial kickoff game (They now open the season with a big game on a thursday night) was played. I wont give anything away (just watched it early this morning). But bring on this sunday, microwave burgers, red bull are at the ready for 6 and a half hours of NFL ! (the wife is 'so' happy !)

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Love the NFL. Been interested since those Channel 4 mid 80's Sunday night matches. Way back then I decided I'd not do the same my pals and follow the Miami Dolphins. No, instead I chose the NY Jets and I still follow them. I still have a NY Jets sweatshirt from the mid 80's that still fits me and I still wear :)

I was gutted the Jets missed out on the Seperbowl last season. Here's hoping they go one step further this season.

GO JETS!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:40 am

Theyve got a really good chance (By the way I DONT know who won the sunday night game with the jets/cowboys - going to watch it soon) so i'm not ruining anything for you !

But theyve got a lot of great players, its great when you follow a team, go through some lean years (I remember when the Jets were 1-15) and then after years of frustration you suddenly realise you have a great team and the potential to go for the Superbowl.

Jets/Patriots is now like Chelsea/Man Utd, should be a great game later on in the year.

But you've got a young QB in Sanchez so you 'should' have many more good years ahead. Anyway going to watch the Jets/Cowboys game after work tonight.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 pm

I was going to stay up and watch the start of the Jets vs Cowboys but fell asleep on the sofa. I ended up dragging myself off to bed before it even started! I watched the highlights this morning but I'd already seen the score. It was still great to watch even though some of the plays in the 4th qtr were awful from both sides. The Jets were so far behind at one point that I began to think I'd read the final score wrong! :lol:

Jets vs Raiders week 3 8)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 am

I've just started watching the new season on Channel 4 & it feels really odd after so many years of it being on Channel 5, although I can't remember when it moved from Channel 5. Didn't it first start on 4 all those years ago? I started watching it back in the early 1980's & 'chose' Chicago as my team as I liked the Fridge. :lol:

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:58 am

Just been on NFL.com, great result for the 49'ers against the Seahawks, who were last seasons divisional winners..

Did you see the 102yd kick return Ted Ginn Jr ran in.. pretty good stuff, he also ran a punt return..

Good start.. :)

B.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:16 pm

I was a washington redskins man myself, I got into it after someone bought me a redskins cuddly toy for my birthday. I remember playing american football on the atari 2600 around the same time, you could only play as 2 teams and one wore pink lol. :shock:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 am

Well over the moon the Raiders won, had a good few days watching NFL games on nfl.com/gamepass BUT there was a problem with the Raiders game, kept flicking forward a quarter or so for a few seconds which ruined it as i would see the score. Normally its fine.

Anyway at least the Raiders won, i'm nervous about NE and the Jets but games like Denver they need to win.

Despite the change of the kickoffs there were a lot of returns this week for touchdowns. Some big surprises as well (Eg Atlanta losing and KC getting hammered).

Glad the NFL is back though !

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:57 am

God I hate losing in OT!!!!! :twisted:

Not nice is it PSJ?

B.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:06 pm

I love the way this thread started as a 'what's all this American Football nonsense?' thread and has now been totally derailed into a 'Yay! Let's talk about American Football' thread. :lol:

Giants are playing tomorrow, please don't go 0-2, please!

Anyone else think that Dunta Robinson should have been suspended? I mean once is a silly mistake, twice is premeditated assault.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Used to think NFL was a rubbish version of rugby, but now I accept it for what it is I really enjoy it. Takes a while to get used to all the rules, and it's always best to 'SKY+' it so you can fast forward through the ridiculous number of breaks. My only issue is that - even when winning by loads - most teams use the most negative tactics going into the final quarter. Even when they have another 7 points in sight , they will mostly opt for shutting up shot than going for glory. It's the footballing equivalent of taking the ball into the corner when you're clean through on goal.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:34 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:... they will mostly opt for shutting up shot than going for glory. It's the footballing equivalent of taking the ball into the corner when you're clean through on goal.
That might be because defences have been ahead of offenses for quite some time in the NFL, but this year, maybe due to the lack of practice time, offense has the edge. There have been some cracking fourth quarters already.

And not to forget that 'shutting up shop' in American Football' means winning the ball and making steady progress upfield (either that or lose the ball to the other team and risk conceding), so you can't just put ten men behind the ball like in Football. As long as the difference is less than 7, games will always go to the wire.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:51 am

Isn't there also some silly system where teams can get fined and penalties for "running up the score"? I know I've seen various debates on things like PTI and Round The Horn about over the years.

As for my cheeseheads. Good start to the season picking up where we left off. Given it looks like a good season it can only end badly if you ask me from previous years. PRefer to do things on the edge of our seats!