Ice lollies etc

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TwoHeadedBoy

Ice lollies etc

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 am

It's sunny outside and I'm inside, killing time before I go to work. So how about talking about our favourite ever lolly ices/ice creams etc. from "back in the day"?

Used to love...

-Zap, which was just a mess of different coloured ice creams in a bar shape. Possibly factory reject sold as something intentional.
-'Orrible Ogre, a blackcurrant flavoured icy thing with some strange flavoured goo on the inside.
-Spider-Man, as above only strawberry flavoured, with blue goo on the inside.
-Casper, again like the above only blue flavoured with a darker blue goo inside.
-Donkey Kong, banana flavoured ice cream thing. Collect all the sticks to win prizes! I collected dozens of them, but never got around to sending them off to claim my inflatable banana.
-Zoom, the rocket shaped one! They don't make these anymore for some reason, which is mildly upsetting.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: Ice lollies etc

Post by SpecChum81 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:49 am

I have fond memories of Zap and Zoom lollies!! :D

Fab was another great Loll!

I also used to love Feasts as well!

Lyons Maid was lovely too as of course were Slush Puppies!! Do they really count though?

I also used to love Funny Feet! They were lovely!! :D 8) :D
Press Play On Tape

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 am

Home made lemonade lollies FTW!! :D

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:It's sunny outside and I'm inside, killing time before I go to work. So how about talking about our favourite ever lolly ices/ice creams etc. from "back in the day"?

Used to love...

-Zoom, the rocket shaped one! They don't make these anymore for some reason, which is mildly upsetting.
Don't they? I'm sure I've seen these.

I seem to remember a "Max" one, which had a cartoony lion on the wrapper. Otherwise it was always Feasts and Magnums for me.

I'll be honest, I was never really a "lolly" person. I much preferred ice cream covered in chocolate.
ImageImage

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Pear Picking Porkies, Polly Pineapples, Captain Quencher & my favourite of the bunch Rocky Rasper!

Anyone remember Hulk lollies? There's a picture from my childhood of me with my face half smothered in one with a huge grin. Apparently I loved them a lot.

EDIT - Here's a pic...

Oh yes, and of course Funny Feet.
Last edited by the_hawk on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:00 pm

My summers spent at my grandmother's farm were defined by the term "sucky pop," which is what my six-year-old cousin called Mr. Freezes (those rods of coloured ice you had to suck out of a tube). 'Course ours were half-size, generic, multipack ones bought in a supermarket and doled out to us if we were good - actual Mr. Freezes were a luxury seldom affordable in 1980's rural Ireland. 7p, sure who'd have that!?
Last edited by Dunjohn on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:14 pm

^ They're still around, they're called Ice Snappers now, 25p each and I'm addicted to the Vimto ones.

No mentions of Twister or Maxibon? Scandalous!

And there are ones called Horror Lollies, they come in a 4-pack for £1. Cola ice on the outside, then vanilla ice-cream, and in the middle strawberry slush. Lovely.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Nobbly Bobbly is my fave and thankfully still being produced.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:37 pm

There was a huge Feast-like chocolate thing around at one time where one half had a biscuit coating so you could hold it there while you ate the other end. So epic it didn't need a wooden stick but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Positive it was Walls thing though.

I also really like those Delmonte Orange Juice lolly things which thankfully, you can still get.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Big Feast-like biscuit thing? That'd be a Winner Taco, the advert was terrifying - a man ate one, then turned into a polar bear :shock:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

bsg

Post by bsg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 pm

My favourite was cider lollies... which probably contributed to many years of alcohol abuse :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:33 pm

^Me too! You still see them around, though usually from ice cream vans rather than in the shops. Also used to like the lager n' lime lollies, they were lovely, too.

Also used to love them cola-flavoured Superman lollies with the plastic sticks. And Mr Freeze icepops!! Hardly see them about nowadays. :(

thl

Post by thl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:00 am

My favourite ice lollies were Fruit Pastille and Twister. Still remembered getting Fab, Zoom and Feast at newsagents. Plus who could forget those random ice poles that includes flavours from cola, lime, strawberry, etc.

Nowadays I have to settle with 99 Cone from the ice cream van or those choc ice from any supermarkets.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:01 am

Winner Taco = Maxibon?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:55 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Big Feast-like biscuit thing? That'd be a Winner Taco, the advert was terrifying - a man ate one, then turned into a polar bear :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfPUai06D6A
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue