Tom And Jerry Censored

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

James A

Tom And Jerry Censored

Post by James A » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 am

Watching some of these on the Cartoon Network at a friends on thew weekend i couldn't help but notice bits where chopped out of these and Toms owner had suddenly developed an Irish accent instead of the southern american one she uesd to have. Also no Black or Chinamen or Red Indian refferences in some of the cartoons

Bit of research finds out that they've been censored for political correctness even on some DVD prints and that theres no complete 100% uncut version available.

IS this PC going too far????

jdanddiet

Re: Tom And Jerry Censored

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 am

...and apparently the dog in Dambusters is having a name change too....
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:30 am

jdanddiet wrote:...and apparently the dog in Dambusters is having a name change too....
As Stephen Fry who is working on the script said:
"It's no good saying that it is the Latin word for black or that it didn't have the meaning that it does now - you just can't go back, which is unfortunate.

"You can go to RAF Scampton and see the dog's grave and there he is with his name, and it's an important part of the film.

"The name of the dog was a code word to show that the dam had been successfully breached.

"In the film, you're constantly hearing 'N-word, N-word, N-word, hurray' and Barnes Wallis is punching the air. But obviously that's not going to happen now.

"So Digger seems OK, I reckon."
HADDOCKEN!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm

You can't possibly reference someone's colour or accent, but its ok to smack a cat in the face with a frying pan.

I can understand wanting to remove some of the racial slurs that aren't deemed acceptable, but to suggest that Southern American housewives/housekeepers don't exist seems a tad silly. I can't say that as a child or adult I've ever questioned the fact she was black or American, she just was who she was, Tom's owner/carer. There's no pleasing some people, they'd be in a huff if it was all middle class white people in cartoons too.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

prinnysquad

Post by prinnysquad » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:05 pm

I think it's a shame that some things are being altered in retrospect. Tom and Jerry is very much of its context and should be approached as such. It opens a Pandora's box of possibilities, where every historical product with a questionable (by modern standards) aspect is fair game for butchering. There's a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment in some martial arts films, some of it severe and very derogatory. But should these be censored?

In one sense, stereotypes and the like in these old cartoons and films show us how far society has come, but there's no point hiding from the past. I suppose in the other sense, the cartoons might imprint a number of unpleasant stereotypes in the minds of youngsters, but people grow and learn to think for themselves. Ultimately, they don't need censors and editors to do that for them.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Stuff like this is annoying but it only really p1sses me off when they decide to censor all of the DVD releases too. Aren't many of the Street Fighter II animated movie releases censored too? (would love to know which versions aren't btw).

It's like they want us to start downloading (the complete) stuff illegally.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:22 pm

It's not just T&J - It has happened to episodes of Monty Python and the most recent one I noticed was that they have now messed about with episodes of the Young Ones.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Funny thing though had Dads army on before and i was thinking how long it would be before they started cutting out Corporal Jones going on about the fuzzy wuzzys.

What have they done to the Young Ones?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:31 am

James A wrote:Funny thing though had Dads army on before and i was thinking how long it would be before they started cutting out Corporal Jones going on about the fuzzy wuzzys.
Or more worryingly, they'll cut out the clips where he emphatically reminds us that "They don't like it up 'em".

I found a pr0n blog a while ago called 'Corporal Jones' :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:24 am

They've done it with Only Fools and Horses - any derogatory references to the Irish and Indians/Pakistanis have been cut or dubbed.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 am

They were thinking about taking out all the outdated offensive sh-t for the DVD release of 70's sitcom "Mind Your Language", but then they realised they couldn't get away with selling a 20 second long DVD.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 am

Megamixer wrote:Stuff like this is annoying but it only really p1sses me off when they decide to censor all of the DVD releases too. Aren't many of the Street Fighter II animated movie releases censored too? (would love to know which versions aren't btw).

The Street Fighter Anniversary set on XBox came with SFII, SFIII and the movie, which it specifically described as unedited on the box, yet the shower scene was still absent. I haven't seen the version with the shower scene intact since the era of the VHS.

The obvious censoring of old cartoons gets me too, especially when it's stuff I never actually noticed as a kid (as usual, South Park did an episode on this, involving the town flag). I knew Tom's owner was black but never "noticed" it; too busy wondering why the feck they never showed her face.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Dunjohn wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Stuff like this is annoying but it only really p1sses me off when they decide to censor all of the DVD releases too. Aren't many of the Street Fighter II animated movie releases censored too? (would love to know which versions aren't btw).

The Street Fighter Anniversary set on XBox came with SFII, SFIII and the movie, which it specifically described as unedited on the box, yet the shower scene was still absent. I haven't seen the version with the shower scene intact since the era of the VHS.
The movie comes on the PS2 Hyper Street Fighter II as well with the same description but I was positive that somebody had said before that it was edited. Thanks for jogging my memory :)

Sounds like it's a good idea to perhaps buy tapes from when these things were unedited and convert them over to DVD.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 am

Megamixer wrote:
Dunjohn wrote:

The movie comes on the PS2 Hyper Street Fighter II as well with the same description but I was positive that somebody had said before that it was edited. Thanks for jogging my memory :)

Sounds like it's a good idea to perhaps buy tapes from when these things were unedited and convert them over to DVD.
I think it might have been me that mentioned it was edited and its just not the shower scene as im sure there some swearing cut out as well. Ive got a DVD of the movie and im pretty sure thats uncut. Need to sit down one day and compare them

Apparently there is one Tom & Jerry Episode where you do see Toms owners face

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:50 am

Dunjohn wrote:The obvious censoring of old cartoons gets me too, especially when it's stuff I never actually noticed as a kid (as usual, South Park did an episode on this, involving the town flag). I knew Tom's owner was black but never "noticed" it; too busy wondering why the feck they never showed her face.

True that, you just don't notice these things as a nipper. There's one we used to watch all the time called "Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat" (YouTube has it!), which we didn't see as racist - just a load of lazy people who suddenly started singing and dancing.

Oh, and it's a big fat NSFW on that one!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.