Heidi and Silas - 80's tv crap Godzilla - 80's kids tv gold

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thebear

Heidi and Silas - 80's tv crap Godzilla - 80's kids tv gold

Post by thebear » Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 am

I'm mean seriously

WTF?

Does anybody know of even one kid who liked these two piles of censored?

Why did some idiot put them on?

On a more positive note I just picked up 2 dvd's of the awesome animated Godzilla cartoon

one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Liamh1982

Re: Heidi and Silas - 80's tv crap Godzilla - 80's kids tv

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:52 am

Surely you don't like Godzooki though? The old "annoying nephew" syndrome rearing its ugly head again...

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu May 26, 2011 10:58 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Surely you don't like Godzooki though? The old "annoying nephew" syndrome rearing its ugly head again...

no he's annoying, but I can stand watching him!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:30 pm

I used to love the old Godzilla cartoons :)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:16 pm

I used to like the Godzilla cartoons as a kid. He had a sidekick didn't he - God Zuki? I admit they would be pretty lame now to watch.

The same applies to Heidi. I think I realised that it was badly dubbed even as a kid. Still I enjoyed it at the time.

I think CBBC showed some other badly dubbed kids program as well, about a boy with a special power. Can't remember the name of it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:36 am

I remember the disappointment every time the titles to "Heidi" appeared.....

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 pm

The Godzilla cartoon had one big problem as far as I was concerned - and it wasn't Godzuki, It was the godawful voice talent or lack of - that did the monsterous voice of Godzilla - it sounded like some constipated old drunk sitting on the Shitter trying to banish a particularly difficult bog sausage!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:33 pm

I always liked how Godzilla could stand ankle-deep in the middle of the Pacific Ocean alongside the ship, but if he got knocked over he'd dive for miles wrestling with the baddie he was fighting.

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Silas was brilliant and hopefully it will be seeing a release on DVD soon by fabulous films, although it has been in the forthcoming section for some time now.

Superb music as well by Christian Bruhn, soundtrack available via Itunes.

It's my second favourite kids TV programme of all time, after Grange Hill of course.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:50 am

I quite liked Silas! Never liked Heidi though, or Black Beauty. Staples of summer holiday morning telly.

Those and Why Don't You. And the Pink Panther cartoon.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:58 am

greenberet79 wrote:I quite liked Silas! Never liked Heidi though, or Black Beauty. Staples of summer holiday morning telly.
'Why Don't You?', or as they said, "why don't you just switch off your television set and go and do something less boring instead".
A bunch of hideously unnatural showbiz-prepped kids with ghastly regional accents. That coming on was a clear sign you had been watching too much TV and it was time to turn it off. Just a shame there was f**k all else to do once you had.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:02 pm

I always used to watch ITV on summer mornings (and weekday afternoons for that matter), when Tommy Boyd was still hanging on like a limpet ('89-'90?).
The Beeb just had boring cartoons and cheaply-made 70s children's films.

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 pm

My god, kids programming in the 80's was bad!

Peter! Peter! Peeeeeeteeeeer! That's about all I can remember about Heidi. Silas - I know I watched it, but I can't remember a damned thing about it except I wanted to punch him in the face. Was it him who had a mate who was lame in the leg or was that another series?

Tim Tyler - the boy who [s]needed his head kicking in like no other[/s] lost his laugh was another. And there was another one involving pirates, my only memory of which is the lead pirate wanted to swallow a metal tube to prevent the hang-mans noose from working - unless that was Silas again. Shocking, either way.

About 1983 there was an influx of crap Polish (or some other Iron Block country) cartoons. Crap the lot of them. Add to that "David the Gnome". *shudders*.

But lest we forget "Treasure Island in Outer Space". That was so shitty that it featured English actors, dubbed into Italian and subsequently dubbed back into English! "Har... Har... Har...!"

And then there was that French censored Wattoo Wattoo :( Not to mention that crappy AM/JAP Battle of the Planets.

If I was really lucky, my parents would let me stay up "late" and watch "Tales of the Gold Monkey".

Man. What a childhood. :shock:
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:04 am

Godzilla was awesome, but Heidi was poop....haven't seen the other one...

Black Beauty was ace for the first minute or so while the title music played...Why Don't You made me want to smash up the telly and go and do something less boring instead....

Still, at least in Scotland we had Glen Michael and his Cartoon Cavalcade to watch.....It showed stuff like Wonder Wheels and Birdman, and a few other decent 'toons!

Apart from funky cartoons, the best telly was always the stuff you got to watch a bit later in the day though.....Hart To Hart, The A-Team, V, Battlestar Galactica, CHIPS, Hardcastle & McCormick, Manimal, Automan, The Fall Guy....etc.
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:00 pm

joefish wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:I quite liked Silas! Never liked Heidi though, or Black Beauty. Staples of summer holiday morning telly.
'Why Don't You?', or as they said, "why don't you just switch off your television set and go and do something less boring instead".
A bunch of hideously unnatural showbiz-prepped kids with ghastly regional accents. That coming on was a clear sign you had been watching too much TV and it was time to turn it off. Just a shame there was f**k all else to do once you had.
Granted, but it DID give RTD a way to learn his chops...