Laser Quest / Quasar / Megazone

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

STranger81

Re: Laser Quest / Quasar / Megazone

Post by STranger81 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 am

At Derby theres still the Bowling/Quasar combo. Although I havent been since I was a kid.

They used to have a thing on Saturday mornings where it was £5.00 for unlimited games from 10-2. And every now and then we'd sit a game out, and when they were all in the game we'd get the microphone thing from under the desk and swear down it. When your 12 that felt hardcore! And for a total rush we'd go and rock the penny falls machine in the arcade.

SIR'86

Post by SIR'86 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:47 am

I went to a Laser Quest place near me a couple of weeks ago, to take my son out for a treat.

We got put in with a group of 13 year olds, and they were going on about Call Of Duty on the consoles and how good they were going to be at shooting in the laser quest game.

They soon learned that COD skills do not translate into the real world when I kicked their backsides figuratively speaking by beating them all, and ending up as the top scorer in both games. They were getting really frustrated because as soon as they could see me I'd shoot them.
They said 'You're right good you are! What do you play, Xbox or PS3?'

I replied, "Neither, I'm a PC gamer and we have to aim when we play shooters!" :roll: :mrgreen:

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:30 pm

I think theres still a Quaser in yarmouth but it might be gone now, there was one once in stevenage but that went years ago, last laser game place I went to was one called laser planet and it was f**king awful. The guns were useless if you didnt have tiny hands due to the stupid system of two hands to activate, they were dinky little pistols and people would cheat, only good bit about that trip was I beat my mate in a ice cream eating contest and pizza hut was doing one price for as much as you like.
Nowadays I cant be bothered, I dont even bother with target practise for my slingshot or BB guns anymore (I used mine responsibly on cans, jars and bottles, always away from people and animals), Ive only got one good eye for aiming and my hands shake.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Gonad

Post by Gonad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 am

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote: I plumped for the Yoker one (on the back of the episode of Limmy's Show in Yoker the week before), and my friends and I were having a good time, until we discovered the team of emo's we beat in the first round had pulled their hoodys over their vests and we couldn't shoot them back. C***s. :evil:
You're just lucky they didn't bring their own guns, in Yoker.

:wink:
ImageImage

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:33 pm

We have a Megazone here in Falkirk which I attend now and again. In fact, my girlfriend and I went there for her 20th birthday just recently and got no funny looks whatsoever.
I do pride myself in being pretty good at laser tag, as it goes ;)

sack

Post by sack » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:20 am

dste wrote:There was one in Nottingham that myself and some mates used to frequent when growing up, unfortunately cannot remember the name of it.

Was a good laugh and I remember one time they had three steps that went up into a wall and my mate didn't realise, went running up the steps straight into the wall. We were absolutely killing ourselves laughing.
There was a megazone over near the ice arena, and a quasar by the market square. Normally ended up in the Quasar, seeing as folks were probably meeting up by the left lion and I had a lazy bunch of mates.

not sure if either of them are there any more.
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:51 am

Blimey, I remember the Zap Zone at Preston Megabowl. Don't know if it's still there. Remember beating one of the "tournament" scores they had on a board, but it was because I got 12 base hits in one game (I remember you got 3 lives, and had to recharge your lives by holding your gun sideways at a recharge point).

Unfortunately, I was too young to ever get in one of those Crystal Maze things (I remember they had one at the Sandcastle in Blackpool). Gutted.
ImageImage

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:55 pm

All the ones I've ever known are closed.

I remember reading an article in C&VG a long time ago from someone who'd visited one of the first ones in the USA and thinking how amazing it was.

The first one I actually played was in Loughborough (whilst at Uni) and it was a bit grubby and dark inside, with simple black wooden barricades. Imaginative Sci-Fi themed it was not.

Then there was one with pistols instead of two-handed guns in an old cinema in North Camp, on the southern edge of Farnborough. It had a neat layout with mine-traps on the stairs and bases on the balconies. I used to go there regularly, though the only people ever playing it were the staff and their mates. The best game I had in there was an after-hours lock-in game with all the lights turned off. That place is now a Mormon church.

Then I spent six months in London. Because there were a lot of visitors, I could regularly get the high score in the Trocadero, which got you a free game, so I could go for months without paying. Sadly, like the brilliant Alien War scare tour downstairs, it's long gone.

By the time I got back to Loughborough, that one had closed too.

When I started work down south, there were signs painted on Portsmouth city centre car park for one, but that was all gone and the car park is now demolished. As has the one on the quayside in Southampton - that whole shopping arcade is now houses. There does appear to be one in a kids' activity centre on the edge of Fleet, but it doesn't look too promising.

I think paintballing's more fun anyway.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm

sack wrote:There was a megazone over near the ice arena, and a quasar by the market square. Normally ended up in the Quasar, seeing as folks were probably meeting up by the left lion and I had a lazy bunch of mates.

not sure if either of them are there any more.
It would have been the Megazone on the corner down from Ice Nine.

Cannot remember where the Quasar was in all honesty.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Fishsta wrote:Blimey, I remember the Zap Zone at Preston Megabowl. Don't know if it's still there. Remember beating one of the "tournament" scores they had on a board, but it was because I got 12 base hits in one game (I remember you got 3 lives, and had to recharge your lives by holding your gun sideways at a recharge point).

Unfortunately, I was too young to ever get in one of those Crystal Maze things (I remember they had one at the Sandcastle in Blackpool). Gutted.
Closed Megabowl became tenpin, shut down completely before xmas is now being gutted to be a Waitrose!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:36 am

You are KIDDING???

Damn. Remember many happy weekends of me and the lads getting the 125/126 bus from Chorley, stopping off at the Megabowl arcade, then going over to the cinema for a film.

Bring back the good old days.
ImageImage

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Fishsta wrote:You are KIDDING???

Damn. Remember many happy weekends of me and the lads getting the 125/126 bus from Chorley, stopping off at the Megabowl arcade, then going over to the cinema for a film.

Bring back the good old days.
Nope and Nope

Work is currently on going was a sad sad site last time i checked a few weeks ago.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Trikkitt

Post by Trikkitt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Joey wrote:For instance, here in Leicester, there used to be 2 Quasar centres, a Laser Quest and Megazone. Now only the Megazone remains.
Actually another opened there a year or two back, it's a LaserForce. So some are still doing well....
DigitalDuck wrote:I've been to Quasar a few times...

EVERY SINGLE TIME I get the suit that doesn't work. Every time.
That hacks me off, I hate it when the venues don't keep their equipment in good condition! Nothing worse than paying to play and finding half the kit doesn't work, and when you shoot people they don't die.

Katzkatz wrote: There also used to be one in Canterbury, called 'Planet Laser'. It was only knocked down a few months ago.

I suppose it was quite a fun way to get some exercise! I imagine that a lot of these places are closing down now, as I was surprised that the Canterbury one got knocked down.
Yeah is good exercise and a lot more fun, the one in Canterbury closed down because the landlord wanted to build student flats... nothing to do with the business itself. I run a site so it was good for us, but its always a shame to see a venue close.

I wish there was a way to encourage people to play more competitively, but the people who are good tend to just beat down on the ones who are starting out. Only if you can take a beating will you stick around and play more. I got in to owning my own one because I enjoy playing - so our kit works! If any of you are around Whitstable and want a game give me a shout!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Trikkitt wrote:
Katzkatz wrote: There also used to be one in Canterbury, called 'Planet Laser'. It was only knocked down a few months ago.

I suppose it was quite a fun way to get some exercise! I imagine that a lot of these places are closing down now, as I was surprised that the Canterbury one got knocked down.
Yeah is good exercise and a lot more fun, the one in Canterbury closed down because the landlord wanted to build student flats... nothing to do with the business itself. I run a site so it was good for us, but its always a shame to see a venue close.

I wish there was a way to encourage people to play more competitively, but the people who are good tend to just beat down on the ones who are starting out. Only if you can take a beating will you stick around and play more. I got in to owning my own one because I enjoy playing - so our kit works! If any of you are around Whitstable and want a game give me a shout!
Okay, thank you for the reply. I didn't what the circumstances of the Canterbury 'Planet Laser' were. I was surprised that it got knocked down - especially as only a few months before I and a group of friends had gone in there to play! It was the first time that I had been back to it in ages, as I had first tried it when it opened up. I take it that you managed it? I loved how the fireman's pole was not allowed to be used in there! :lol:

I think Quasar on the Margate seafront closed down a while ago. Another thing gone from Margate! That one used dry ice I think, sometimes! Plus it had an 'old castle-like' interior. I don't know if you knew of it?

I have just done a quick google and have found your place in Whitstable. I might check it out one of these days! Be warned - I am rubbish!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 am

I've done this a few times when I was younger and found it a bit lame really - no comparison to paintball where you get some feedback when you fire and the risk of pain really ups the tension; I was used to using shotguns by then too and a little pew pew thing was basically a little kids toy.
Last edited by RetroBob on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob