Laser Quest / Quasar / Megazone

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Laser Quest / Quasar / Megazone

Post by Joey » Sat May 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I know these places still exist but are becoming less and less prominent as the years go by.

For instance, here in Leicester, there used to be 2 Quasar centres, a Laser Quest and Megazone. Now only the Megazone remains.

Around 14 years ago when i was 14, me and my best mate joined the Quasar League run by one of the lads who worked at the Super Bowl where the arena was. We played there for about 6 months and ended up him placing 3rd and me 4th in the league. We took great joy in saying we were the 3rd and 4th best players in the area....even though we quite probably were not! :lol:

So has anyone been to one recently, used to go often or just want to share you memories...

felgekarp

Re: Laser Quest / Quasar / Megazone

Post by felgekarp » Sat May 21, 2011 4:13 pm

I used to go to Quasar quite a lot, a few of us at college used to nip down on a Friday afternoon. I remember spending one session walking round with a programmeable remote control in my pocket as me and a mate reckoned we could use it to get our lives back rather than having to go to a recharge station, suffice to say it didn't work :D I only ever went to Laser Quest once but for some reason it didn't click with me like Quasar did. I've no idea where any are now, shame really.
Splink!

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat May 21, 2011 4:19 pm

I've been to Quasar a few times...

EVERY SINGLE TIME I get the suit that doesn't work. Every time.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat May 21, 2011 7:13 pm

The one in the (now demolished) Pleasure Island dome was great, they gave you all names like Judge Dredd and Mad Max and Robocop. Obviously I was crap at it, but it was still fun.

Speaking of "places there aren't as many of" nowadays, just noticed a roller rink's been opened in Liverpool :shock:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Yeah I used to go to the Quasar on Margate seafront. I don't think it is there now. Went with a couple of friends, when I was at sixth form college. They used to pump dry ice into it sometimes. I remember the area had a 'castle like' interior. I think I fell over in there! Was never that good at it, to be honest.

There also used to be one in Canterbury, called 'Planet Laser'. It was only knocked down a few months ago. I went there when I was at sixth form college as well, plus I also went into there only a few years ago. It was quite a big place and had two levels. Lots of running up the stairs. Plus a 'fireman's pole'! Which people got banned from using!!!

I suppose it was quite a fun way to get some exercise! I imagine that a lot of these places are closing down now, as I was surprised that the Canterbury one got knocked down.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:56 am

myself and a friend from Lanky Boys used to go to the Laser Quest on King's Street (or was it Duke's Street?) his sister and her friend sometimes came along with us and after one particularly bad game from me it turned out that the sister's friend had kept shooting me in the back!!!!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun May 22, 2011 7:54 am

When I went with my mates from college we once had a game against a bunch of guys we were convinced were special forces, we got absolutely slaughtered by them, there's no way they could have just been average joes off the street :lol:
Splink!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon May 23, 2011 6:06 am

I occasionally went to the Quaser in Milton Keynes and Zap Zone in Bedford when I was younger, and went to one in Sheffield a couple of times during my uni days.

I really didn't like them; the arenas were smokey and stinky, too many of the gun packs were broken or ill-fitting, and I was convinced the scores were randomly generated at the end!

I went to one in Italy a few times that was brilliant. You could see the lasers much better and it just felt so much more accurate. The guy running it looked like Tony Soprano and he would give us all funny nicknames on our scorecards, and the place was clean, unlike the dingy ones we have here in England.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 am

For my birthday this year, I decided to do something different and look for a Laser Quest type thing. There used to be a few in Glasgow city centre, but now they're all in far off exotic places like Yoker and Rutherglen.

I plumped for the Yoker one (on the back of the episode of Limmy's Show in Yoker the week before), and my friends and I were having a good time, until we discovered the team of emo's we beat in the first round had pulled their hoodys over their vests and we couldn't shoot them back. C***s. :evil:

dste

Post by dste » Wed May 25, 2011 1:07 pm

There was one in Nottingham that myself and some mates used to frequent when growing up, unfortunately cannot remember the name of it.

Was a good laugh and I remember one time they had three steps that went up into a wall and my mate didn't realise, went running up the steps straight into the wall. We were absolutely killing ourselves laughing.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed May 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Dave300 wrote:myself and a friend from Lanky Boys used to go to the Laser Quest on King's Street (or was it Duke's Street?) his sister and her friend sometimes came along with us and after one particularly bad game from me it turned out that the sister's friend had kept shooting me in the back!!!!
Yea i went to that one a few times, it had quite an industrial theme to it if i remember correctly?

Eufeion

Post by Eufeion » Tue May 31, 2011 5:10 pm

If I remeember right there is / was a Laser Quest in Guildford in the Bus station. Also with some nice Retro Arcade games in there too :D
Check Out My Video Games Channel - Love 4 Games UK - http://www.youtube.com/love4gamesuk
(Please Subscribe - New Vids Coming Soon)

Gaming will be my first love & it will be my last.......

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Joey wrote:Yea i went to that one a few times, it had quite an industrial theme to it if i remember correctly?
I can remember lots of narrow wooden corridors painted black. there was a bridge in one corner, and a mirror I think... can't remember much about it now.

Eufeion

Post by Eufeion » Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Dave300 wrote:
Joey wrote:Yea i went to that one a few times, it had quite an industrial theme to it if i remember correctly?
I can remember lots of narrow wooden corridors painted black. there was a bridge in one corner, and a mirror I think... can't remember much about it now.
I could drawn you an entire map of the guildford one. I played it that much as a kid
Check Out My Video Games Channel - Love 4 Games UK - http://www.youtube.com/love4gamesuk
(Please Subscribe - New Vids Coming Soon)

Gaming will be my first love & it will be my last.......

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:10 am

I've been to about 5 different ones:

Laser Quest in Cov was one we went to quite a bit - had a decent layout and some good arcades in there (I remember Die Hard Arcade for one). I remember one time we almost got in a fight with a random bunch of Ruskie kids there, fun times.

Quasar in Cov was also pretty good - again, a decent layout (with a massive bridge going over the top) and reliable guns. I recall them having a VR machine and Space Invaders there too. We stopped going there after my parents' car got broken into while we were in having a game.

Went to another Quasar in Telford which was pretty stylish - very clean sci-fi look inside. Also the first place I ever played Mortal Kombat I believe. They also had Sunset Riders (which I think might have been the 4-player version). Unfortunately, as was common in those days, it was torched by some chavs and never re-opened.

Easily the worst I've been to was Zapp Zone in Cov. It was in the same place as the Crystal Maze if anyone remembers that as well (not the TV show, a kind of 'fun house' affair where you had to complete challenges and hit buttons that lit up in the crystal dome at the end). It was so bright you might as well have been playing outside, and there were ridiculous neon props all over the place. Didn't go back there again.

Finally - as recent as 2 years ago - we went to a laser-tag place in France with work. Pretty awful really - the guns only fired if you had 2 hands on them (which never f*cking worked properly, of course) and half the guns were busted. Funny as the place had a bar and everything on it, the actual laser tag itself just sucked.