Depeche Mode

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:49 am

I saw those remasters listed a while back. What a total and utter disappointment they are. Compare them to the excellent 2CD Cure reissues (which have one CD with the remastered album and another with all of the related B-sides, demos and live tracks they could squeeze on) and Depeche Mode's offering comes up shockingly short. I'm also not sure about the point of the 5:1 stuff—most won't listen to the albums like that, and that's not what they were designed for anyway.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

David GP

Post by David GP » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:57 am

Listening to albums remixed in 5.1 might sound weird, but when done cleverly, the process truly adds a new dimension to sound. Pink Floyd's anniversary reissue of Dark Side of the Moon is really, really amazing.

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to DM's own reissues yet, so I am clueless as to their quality, but I intend to find out soon. Should they be mixed as well as their latest album - which was also released in 5.1 -, I am in for a treat.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu May 04, 2006 5:09 pm

I can safley say that Black Celebration has settled in very snugly with Violator as the pet favourites ^_^

Wonderful all the way through!

Any more for me boys?

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Mon May 08, 2006 7:07 am

Violator is THE best album!

in my top 10 albums by anyone actually

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon May 08, 2006 7:42 am

David GP wrote:Listening to albums remixed in 5.1 might sound weird, but when done cleverly, the process truly adds a new dimension to sound.
For me, this is just gloss, because this isn't how the music was originally designed. Also, it's a gimmick that only the die-hard fans will really get a lot out of (most will just listen using their hi-fis, iPods, or whatever).

For my money, I'd have preferred DM to do what the Cure did, filling the second disc full of previously unreleased demos, all of the relevant b-sides, and the best live tracks of the time.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Gaztee

Post by Gaztee » Sun May 14, 2006 7:25 am

Well I finally found this topic, so here is my 2 cents!

Favourite CD - Violator
Fav Song - Nothing (headcleaner rock mix on the remix cd xcelent)
Fav song on 'Angel' Jon the revalator

Unfortunately missed then in March as I was flying back from Vegas at the time. Just hope they come around again

Gaztee
:twisted:
I love Aircars

Mad Gerald

Re:

Post by Mad Gerald » Mon May 15, 2006 4:50 am

Gaztee wrote:
Unfortunately missed then in March as I was flying back from Vegas at the time. Just hope they come around again

Gaztee
:twisted:
They were excellent when i saw them in March.

They're headlining at the O2 Wireless Festival in Hyde Park - Sunday 25th June. - Im going, anyone else?

Officially a crap gamer - but one that works for SEGA

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon May 15, 2006 12:06 pm

They're headlining at the O2 Wireless Festival in Hyde Park - Sunday 25th June. - Im going, anyone else?
i would like to go along to that even if i had to walk to London all the way from the West Midlands.
:)
Press play on tape

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:27 pm

My dear old Da' bought us the Best of Depeche Mode Vol.1 and I believe I've grossly under-estimated their earlier stuff.

Last album I bought was Black Celebration from advice in here and it's aces.

But, I've just heard 'Never Let Me Down' on the way to school, last track on the best of and by Key Stage 3's Arse I can't stop playing it! An easy rival to 'Enjoy the Silence' personally.

A song that 'Send's Me' so to speak.

"That fuggin song sends me man, y'know?"

Un-related - I think I can confirm that the earliest song I can remember, but not 'remember' is Bauhaus' 'Bella Lugosi's Dead'. Brought on by watching the film 'Ed Wood' and hitting t'net. Song fired up and the noise that came out reached in somewhere and messed me up a bit. "So that's that sound!"

Classic.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 pm

An overrated band who went from bland synthpop to bland synth music with their collective heads stuck up their own arses. Still, as long as they've got enough sheep, sorry, fans they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:56 pm

The remixes triple CD set is fantastic.

I've got loads of DM 12 inches, some of the remixes are just superb.

DJ Shadow's version of "Painkiller" is great, there are also excellent mixes by Kruder & Dorfmeister, Luke Slater, Bushwacka! and Underworld. I reckon I could sneak some Mode into almost any set!

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 pm

An overrated band who went from bland synthpop to bland synth music with their collective heads stuck up their own arses. Still, as long as they've got enough sheep, sorry, fans they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Jesus Christ, did Dave Gahan sleep with your boyfriend or something? :roll:
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:55 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:I saw those remasters listed a while back. What a total and utter disappointment they are. Compare them to the excellent 2CD Cure reissues (which have one CD with the remastered album and another with all of the related B-sides, demos and live tracks they could squeeze on) and Depeche Mode's offering comes up shockingly short. I'm also not sure about the point of the 5:1 stuff—most won't listen to the albums like that, and that's not what they were designed for anyway.
I saw The Cure at wembley area a couple of weeks ago!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:10 pm

James Bond wrote:
Jesus Christ, did Dave Gahan sleep with your boyfriend or something? :roll:
You do realise I'm male unless you're inferring that somone that doesn't like that band is gay which isn't a very enlightened attitude in this day and age.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:50 pm

don't get me wrong i like depeche mode, but like frank said they are pretty bland but in their own unique way, i really have to be in the right mood to listen to them otherwise they just bore the 5hit outta me