Depeche Mode

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

forestville

Depeche Mode

Post by forestville » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Depeche Mode formed in the early 1980s and are still around to this day, their latest album "playing the angle" is a very good album with the songs on there sound like their older stuff with a 21st century twist.

What do you think is Depeche Mode's best album, have you seen them live in concert, have you ever met them.

I saw them live at the Birmingham NEC Arena back the year 2001, and they were quite good especially their 1980s stuff.

I look forward to seeing them in concert again this coming March.

:D 8)
Press play on tape

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:30 am

Fave album is 'Songs of Faith and Devotion', been to several DM concerts.

Not keen on 'Playing the Angel'...

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:15 am

My favourite is either Ultra or Songs of Faith and Devotion.

Never seen them live.

I currently have Playing the Angel and the 3 disc remix set in my car. I prefer the remixes to Playing the Angel.

igbandy

Post by igbandy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:51 pm

now then, something very close to my heart are DM..

I have been a fan since 1981 (I was 11ish) and have grown up listening to them.

I cant say which album is my favourite, as it depends on moods n things :wink:

I have a vast collection of live bootlegs (audio and video/dvd) and thousands of fan remixes.

I have seen them..

once in 1990, twice in 1993, once in 1998, once in 2001. Saw Dave Gahan on his solo tour twice in 2003.

I am going to see them in Prague on the 23rd January, and im doing all 4 uk gigs in March and April, also going to see them in Dubln in June 8)

since 2001 I have also been going to various DM parties in the UK, and one in Amsterdam in 2004. And I also go and see a DM tribute band called Black Celebration, who usually play in Crewe(their local town) but they are playing in sunny Stourbridge this Friday night coming (13th January)..

one last thing, since January 2005, I have been DJing at the Black Celebration gigs, playing pure DM and solo stuff.. I love it 8)

zx6rman_uk

Depeche Mode

Post by zx6rman_uk » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:09 pm

Seen them many times,, very big fan

Best ever gig was in Sheffield in 2001 (Songs of faith and devotion) superb gig.

Seen them 15 times,, mainly NEC, Crystal Palace, Manchester etc.

Saw Dave Gahan on his solo tour,, best stuff was DMs thought other than 'Bottled Living' which I love.

Also going to see them in March at the NEC.

Glad to see theres also DM fans here.

Fave Album,, Black Celebration

Loads of rare stuff,, most prised are the ALCB box sets and a Hammersmith Live LP (1984)

Regards Scot

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:25 pm

Been listening to the new album for the past few weeks in the car - and I have to say 'what a bloody fantastic release'!

Love it! :D

Darren Guest

Post by Darren Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:05 am

Have to say I was very disapointed by Playing the Angel, I think it was one of their weakest albums (Post Black Celebration).

My favourate album would have to be Violator as it's one of the few albums I can listen to where I like every single track.

Although I have been into them since 1988 I have only seen them once in concert which was the Exciter tour at wembley Arena.

I did however win tickets to see them at the recording of Dream on and I Feel Loved in 2001 for CD:UK. There was only 130 of us there and it beats seeing them in concert any day of the week. At the end of the recording most people had left, leaving around 15 people remaining and Dave Gahan on stage. Dave then came to the front of the stage and started shaking the hands of the remaining 15 people. For some stupid reason I just waited at the back but my wife went and shook his hand.

I have got tickets to see them at Webley Arena in April but honestly nothing can compare to seeing them like that in such a small venue.

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 pm

Darren Guest wrote:Have to say I was very disapointed by Playing the Angel, I think it was one of their weakest albums (Post Black Celebration).
*The* weakest, post Black Celebration. Strong contender for worst DM album.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:03 pm

Im actually listening to remixes 81-04 disc 3 right now :)

igbandy

Re: Depeche Mode

Post by igbandy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:10 pm

zx6rman_uk wrote:Seen them many times,, very big fan

Seen them 15 times,, mainly NEC, Crystal Palace, Manchester etc.

I was at Crystal Palace as well :) and funnily enough one of my most prized DM items is the Crystal Palace gig on DVD, its a bootleg and I supplied some footage for it. So I am also name checked on the end credits :)

btw its nice to see a few DM fans on this forum. All I usually here on non DM related forums is the same old..

oh i thought the lead singer was dead

or

are they still together?

or

they where an 80`s band... even tho some of their best albums where released post 1989

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:32 am

igbandy wrote:oh i thought the lead singer was dead
:lol:

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:42 am

Spiff wrote:
He was for a while... then they revived him. :D

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:06 am

merman wrote:
Spiff wrote:
Now *that's* a rockstar lifestyle!

Mad Gerald

DM - fan since 81

Post by Mad Gerald » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:30 am

I too have been a fan since 81 - i was 11 at the time. Playing the Angel is a great release - hopefully John the Revelator will be released as a single - I can imagine some fecking hot remixes of that.

Best album? Hmmmm.. Again, depends on the mood. Black Celebration is nice and dark. The 3CD remix album is good. I tend to just let iTunes shuffle the lot and play them that way.

I really like their instrumentals too. Also, Recoil and Martin L Gore's solo projects are very good.

Looking forward to seeing them in March :D

I'd also recommend a band called Mesh - very DM-a-like.

Mad G.

igbandy

Post by igbandy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:39 pm

merman wrote:
Spiff wrote:
he has actually died twice :(
Mad Gerald wrote:I too have been a fan since 81 - i was 11 at the time. Playing the Angel is a great release - hopefully John the Revelator will be released as a single - I can imagine some fecking hot remixes of that.

well... Suffer Well is the 3rd single and John The Revelator is the 4th single :wink:

and this time next week I will be at an arena in Prague waiting with bated breath for DM to come on the stage, I am a tad excited :lol: