Junk food, ...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:47 pm

Anyone I mention this to hasnt got a clue what I am on about, but...

Does anyone remember what I think was called a Striper Bar?

It was in a green packet, the treat itself was multi-coloured (striped obviously) sort of like opal fruit texture????

Oh and Quatro the drink.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:22 pm

What about fruit salad and black jack sweets (both still made). 8)

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:33 am

What about Heinz Haunted House soup?

Pasta pieces in the yummiest tomato soup ever. There was similar product on sale a few years ago, but I can't remember what it was called.

Also, this selection of adverts has remind me of Superhero Crisps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ORM0LV ... ed&search=

(Check out 2.44 minutes in.)

Tony Horgan

Post by Tony Horgan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:11 pm

planetmatt wrote:I like Tab Clear but the drink i really miss is Quatro.
I never liked Quatro myself (too bitter) but I did once meet the bloke/kid off the TV advert. As I remember he did a sort of flying karate kick at a drinks machine.

Yes, my memory is correct...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iBTuz56yVU

We were both on the same modelling job at the time - Kays Catalogue I think. We had a dry ice machine for the Action Man pyjamas shoot. :oops:

He also played a young Clark Kent in one of the Superman movies.

So does anyone remember Wickers? There were a bit like savoury Shreddies, and the chicken flavour ones tasted just like dry chicken and mushroom Pot Noodles. The advert was based around some sort of medieval peasant scene I think.

Also Snackpots. They lost in the big instant noodle war of the late 70s/early 80s. "Snackpot! Snackpot! Nobody's got the taste that we've got!" So went the song.

Or, cheese and tomato Pot Noodles anyone? The little bits of tomato were rather piquante, and never really softened up no matter how long you left it to brew. One fairly recent Pot Noodle ad had the cheek to proclaim "Now available in all the flavours they always have been." Wrong! Where's the cheese and tomato?

I think that's enough for now.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:35 pm

The Big Mac celecrates it's 40th birthday this year!

Copied from RetroThing.com:

Big Mac Celebrates 40 Years

Two forty year-old all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. It doesn't have quite the same ring as the original tongue twister. Still, I suspect that McDonald's Big Mac is older than most Retro Thing readers, including both Bohus and I.

The fatty double-decker sandwich first appeared in 1967. It was the brainchild of Jim Delligatti, a McDonald's franchisee in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. It's distinctive center bun was added to hold the overly gooey concoction together. Over 500 million are sold each year in North America alone. In some ways, the supersized Big Mac is the ancestor of the modern fast food industry -- what originally started out as an occasional treat has become a regular part of the American diet.

Incidentally, 89 year-old Delligatti recently opened the McDonald's Big Mac Museum Restaurant, which features the world's largest Big Mac statue.

Big Mac Museum story: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 23320.html

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:40 pm

TheBoingoBandit wrote: Two forty year-old all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

what is in that special sauce anyway? smelt like crap, tasted like crap, looked like crap.....wait...IT IS CRAP!!!!i should know...i made enough of them at one time. they probably jiffed in a tube whilst on the bog and put fluff in it and hey presto! 'special sauce'!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:35 am

I think its suppposed to be some mustard and mayo mix, it comes in these pots that you put in this gun thing, much like the squirt stuff you get for bath rooms. Fortunatly over the last couple of shifts Ive been put out on lobby, to give my damaged hand a rest.

chewy

Post by chewy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:46 am

Whatever happened to those gummy sweets you got on the front cover of comics and on those long strips? (Real Ghostbusters and Transformers had them on all the time.) They were usually in the shape of Slimer or Spiderman and such. They were probably filled with so much crap... :lol: