MUSIC

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NRGuk

MUSIC

Post by NRGuk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

What old school songs are you listening to at the moment? Mine is Ace of Base - I Stole the Sun LOL!

nakamura

Re: MUSIC

Post by nakamura » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Bit of Chime by Orbital came on the player today, epic.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Ninetyeightytwo

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:16 pm

The Waterboys are, for me, in almost constant rotation. I have "nuff respect" for their "Dream Harder" and "Rock In The Weary Land" albums. The former contains the Glastonbury Song, which sends me (and anybody who's ever been to said festival and enjoyed it) into near-paroxysms of yearning nostalgic joy every time I hear it. The latter contains "We Are Jonah", one of the most uplifting rock songs ever written by anyone, I reckon.

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 pm

All sorts on the current mp3 disc in the car a right old mis-match of stuff including.......

Jeff Lynne 'Video'
They Might be Giants 'Birdhouse in your soul'
Edelweiss 'Bring me edelweiss' :lol:
Ultravox 'Vienna'
Daft Punk 'Da Funk'
Beatles 'Lady Madonna'
Sum41 'Makes No Difference'
Ambassadors of Funk 'Supermario Land' :wink:
Dr Spin 'Tetris' :wink:

to name a few and loads of others that as above have no catagory except that I like em' oh..... and a few for the missus too :wink:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 pm

nakamura wrote:Bit of Chime by Orbital came on the player today, epic.
I'm sure that comes on at the end of one of those girly films...one of those ones with that lindsey lohan in. Missus was watching it and that came in at credits and I was like wtf?

Similar, but does anyone remember Golden Girls - Kinetic? Absolute stone cold early rave/acid classic. Prok & Fitch did a good true t' original breakbeat mix fairly recently too

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 pm

808 State - Cubik, how bloody ace were 808 State, the mancunian marvels???!!!!! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoFUiihvr0

Heard somewhere that A Guy Called Gerald was possibly reuniting with them, just hope there's some quality bleepy stuff forthcoming. :D

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:55 pm

NRGuk wrote:What old school songs are you listening to at the moment? Mine is Ace of Base - I Stole the Sun LOL!
Ace of Base did a song called I Stole the Sun?

I've been listening to mostly new music recently, but I was listening to Kate Bush a couple of weeks ago.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm

JazzFunk wrote:808 State - Cubik, how bloody ace were 808 State, the mancunian marvels???!!!!! :
Pacific is my fav - great tune.

retromax

Post by retromax » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 pm

oli_lar wrote:
JazzFunk wrote:808 State - Cubik, how bloody ace were 808 State, the mancunian marvels???!!!!! :
Pacific is my fav - great tune.
My fav 808 state is 'The only Rhyme that bites' :lol:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 pm

TheAlex wrote:I've been listening to mostly new music recently..."
With very few exceptions, "new music" to me stops in the late 90s very early 2000s. Grunge ftw.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 am

oli_lar wrote:
nakamura wrote: Similar, but does anyone remember Golden Girls - Kinetic? Absolute stone cold early rave/acid classic. Prok & Fitch did a good true t' original breakbeat mix fairly recently too
KINETIC - Confused you will be. This track has been classed as an Orbital remix under the artist names of either "The Pied Piper" or "The Golden Girls". So what happened ?....ok read on

The original "Kinetic" track appeared on the "Hooked on Hope Ep" which was released by "The Pied Piper" (Absolute 2 Records - ABS 002 DJ). For those who have heard this original track and the Orbital remixed track will realise how totally different they each sound.

Orbital reworked the track for an old friend from school (The Pied Piper) and a new tune was born! For this reason they decided to release the track under the name of "The Golden Girls". Its one of Orbital's classic collaborations/remixes and not a difficult one to find as Distinct'ive re-released the already re-released track.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 am

Yeah I remember hearing that when I first heard the track and was looking for other stuff by them. Never did manage to get around to finding the original - is it good?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:43 am

oli_lar wrote:Yeah I remember hearing that when I first heard the track and was looking for other stuff by them. Never did manage to get around to finding the original - is it good?
I'd love to say I'd got it on white label from when it came out, but I ain't heard it either mate!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 am

Release seems pretty cheap on discogs, may have to see if I can bundle it in with an order some time.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 pm

On R&S Records - RS 92 022

The frank de wulf mix and the orbital mix (credited to Paul hartnolll & Michael hazell)

Both stunning mixes of Golden Girls........