Bill Murray is a Legend

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kelp7

Re: Bill Murray is a Legend

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its not all good, he did also star in Lost in Translation (if star is a word that can be associated with something so dull).
Oh dear...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:41 am

I would say Lost in Translation is probably one of the best films made...ever. I utterly love it, along with all of Bill's other work.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:14 am

bensonrad wrote:I would say Lost in Translation is probably one of the best films made...ever. I utterly love it, along with all of Bill's other work.
Isn't this forum great, with so many people quite comfortable with being utterly wrong ;)

Star Wars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lost in Translation
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:30 am

bensonrad wrote:I would say Lost in Translation is probably one of the best films made...ever. I utterly love it, along with all of Bill's other work.

I also think Lost in Translation is one of the best films I've seen. Great story and characters, it looks and sounds stunning and is quite unique.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Isn't this forum great, with so many people quite comfortable with being utterly wrong ;)

Star Wars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lost in Translation
Quite! Subjectivity at it's finest.

Star Wars is another favourite film of mine but I wouldn't compare it to LiT. They're from opposite ends of the movie universe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:03 am

Star Wars being from the 'good' end, I'd agree ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

station

Post by station » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:26 pm

CIH wrote:I have seen two most awesome films this christmas/new-year, Groundhog Day and Scrooged.
I downloaded Groundhog Day a couple of weeks before Christmas (as well as some Chevy Chase and other SNL related films), and it's such a classic, under-rated film, I love it!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:15 pm

He was absolutely ace in Rushmore, perfectly cast (incredibly good film, too). Got to love Groundhog Day, too, never really liked it when it came out originally but upon rewatching it recently, thought he gave a brilliant performance, enjoyed it much more than I did in the 90s.

Just finished reading Michael Palin's Python Diaries, turns out when Palin guest hosted Saturday Night Live, Bill Murray was a bit of fan of his, he kind of took him under his wing.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:49 pm

"Hey! Phil ? Phil Connors ?"
"Ned ?"
*BOSCH!!*

Ninetyeightytwo

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Bill Murray is my favourite actor, bar none.

Lost in Translation my favourite of his performances, bar ONE - The Life Aquatic.

It's a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful film with a perfect soundtrack and a wonderfully sustained haziness throughout - both of which perfectly encaspulate the disorientation of jetlag and the alienation of foreign cities. When immersed in both, who can help but reach out to whoever will listen? Beautiful.

It's also, to my knowledge, the only film in which we get to hear the great man appropriate the vocal stylings of Brian Ferry.

Another amazing film in which he appears is Cradle Will Rock. Anyone seen that one?

ootini

Post by ootini » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Always loved loads of the guy's movies from Caddyshack to Broken Flowers to that cameo in Zombieland.

Stubled across this article however and my estimation of the lad shot up another couple of notches. Seems like a crazy, genuinely funny and sound individual.
http://thechive.com/2011/01/05/what-if- ... exclusive/

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Sorry Ant, another big fan of Lost in Translation here ;)
One of my favourite films, that.

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Yeah I deffo watched 'Scrooged' over Christmas and my 8 year old son watched it for the first time too and loved it :D . Another film I like that doesn't usually get a mention is 'Quick Change'... a film I enjoyed on video as a kid and is now on my media centre...
Too many others to mention, all the obvious ones have been so far... like most are saying though.. 'Groundhog Day' is a classic :D
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:49 pm

The Mrs has a theory that no film can be bad if Bruce Willis is in it, I've the same theory about Murray.

From Stripes to Zombieland the guy's a legend.

Good call on Quick Change, What About Bob & The Man Who Knew too Little, I love them all.

I didn't really get Broken Flowers, but hey, it had Bill Murray in it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue