John Lennon - Your Thoughts

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: John Lennon - Your Thoughts

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:41 am

In Utero is potentially a great album let down by shoddy production. Bleach however is just poor.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 am

Utero was recorded very quickly.And bleach was recorded in an small indie record studio :).
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:39 am

clarance wrote:
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:So The Beatles changed music forver?

Really, so what would music be today, without them? we still had better bands like The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd...
... and the Monks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5iI0__9S1c - so much music out there from that time period that outshines Lennon/McCartney.
Yeah right :D
I've never heard of them before, and I can see why. Just another band that does rock and roll music for people that don't like music about people. It's not even a twentieth as good as The Beatles. And that keyboard, I heard that before somewhere - wasn't that background music in an episode of The Saint? :)

If you want to talk about someone ahead of their time doing something that's actually personal then this is the clip of clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQiIMuOKIzY

Just listen to the old dear's introduction "This is what gets the young folks going"! Look at the audience in their gowns in the background - they don't what the hell is going on! HE was truly ahead of his time, and he was the REAL influence that made the Beatles possible.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Spector wrote:
Yeah right :D
I've never heard of them before, and I can see why. Just another band that does rock and roll music for people that don't like music about people. It's not even a twentieth as good as The Beatles. And that keyboard, I heard that before somewhere - wasn't that background music in an episode of The Saint? :)
Don't know quite what you mean with "Just another band that does rock and roll music for people that don't like music about people", but you're so wrong anyway :)

Although you may have a point about the organ solo.

The Monks rock.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:02 am

Naitch wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Its difficult what to believe, you hear loads of weird stories about him, i dont think he was this angel though. Acting as a hippy in his million pound mansion with people starving and he has about 500 mill or so in the bank, ridiculous. Plus that IRA thing.

Naitch - Beatles fan since 4 years old ? Are you sure ? At 4 i think you were probably only interested in lego not the Beatles !

Great great band for their time but the wrong era for me, can appreciate their music but i just cant get into them. Like the bands they influenced though.
I sure was!

I absolutely loved Thomas The Tank Engine, which was of course voiced by Ringo! :D

My Dad said to me 'You know, Ringo who reads the Thomas stories used to be in a very famous band called The Beatles!'

He then played me 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand', and I was hooked from there!
Sorry, this just sounds contrived.
There is no way a 4 year old can be a fanatic about anything. Full Stop.

John Lennon (& the Beatles for that matter) are over-rated.
Many, many bands' music still sounds good today (regardless of age).
The Beatles however sounds old. Simple and old.
A lot of the words actually sound like they were written by a child so maybe that's why you were hooked.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:52 am

stvd wrote:
Naitch wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Its difficult what to believe, you hear loads of weird stories about him, i dont think he was this angel though. Acting as a hippy in his million pound mansion with people starving and he has about 500 mill or so in the bank, ridiculous. Plus that IRA thing.

Naitch - Beatles fan since 4 years old ? Are you sure ? At 4 i think you were probably only interested in lego not the Beatles !

Great great band for their time but the wrong era for me, can appreciate their music but i just cant get into them. Like the bands they influenced though.
I sure was!

I absolutely loved Thomas The Tank Engine, which was of course voiced by Ringo! :D

My Dad said to me 'You know, Ringo who reads the Thomas stories used to be in a very famous band called The Beatles!'

He then played me 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand', and I was hooked from there!
Sorry, this just sounds contrived.
There is no way a 4 year old can be a fanatic about anything. Full Stop.

John Lennon (& the Beatles for that matter) are over-rated.
Many, many bands' music still sounds good today (regardless of age).
The Beatles however sounds old. Simple and old.
A lot of the words actually sound like they were written by a child so maybe that's why you were hooked.
Well there is a way that a 4 year old can get hooked on this, because I was. Full stop!

It has nothing whatsoever to do wih age!

I'm 29 now, and I'm still just as hooked as I was 25 years ago!

I think most of The Beatles catalouge sounds just a fresh as anything released today!

What other bands took huge leaps of development with each album?

It's all down to personal taste I suppose, but whatever bands you love most likely wouldn't have even formed without The Beatles, let alone redorded albums!
Press Play On Tape

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:25 am

Naitch wrote:I think most of The Beatles catalouge sounds just a fresh as anything released today!
Nah, sorry! If you hear a Beatles song it sounds old - you can tell it isn't a "modern" sound.
Naitch wrote:It's all down to personal taste I suppose, but whatever bands you love most likely wouldn't have even formed without The Beatles, let alone redorded albums!
That's right because before the Beatles, there wasn't any recored music, was there?
I would have to hear different but I doubt NWA or Public Enemy were influenced, in any way, by the Beatles.

And nobody want's a stranger (especially from the 'net) telling them they're lying, and I'm not.
I'm just saying that you recollection that you "loved" the Beatles when you were 4 is probably not
100% accurate. Rather an "interesting" anecdote that you hope will impress anyone remotely interested.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:47 am

stvd wrote:
Naitch wrote:I think most of The Beatles catalouge sounds just a fresh as anything released today!
Nah, sorry! If you hear a Beatles song it sounds old - you can tell it isn't a "modern" sound.
Naitch wrote:It's all down to personal taste I suppose, but whatever bands you love most likely wouldn't have even formed without The Beatles, let alone redorded albums!
That's right because before the Beatles, there wasn't any recored music, was there?
I would have to hear different but I doubt NWA or Public Enemy were influenced, in any way, by the Beatles.

And nobody want's a stranger (especially from the 'net) telling them they're lying, and I'm not.
I'm just saying that you recollection that you "loved" the Beatles when you were 4 is probably not
100% accurate. Rather an "interesting" anecdote that you hope will impress anyone remotely interested.
Yes...there was indeed recorded music before the Beatles!

Hence they being influenced by everyone from Al Jolson to Marvin Gaye!

Good old sarcasm... :roll:

But to me, The Beatles do sound timeless, and pretty much all their albums sound as good as any modern recording.

We all hear different things, but I'm a Sound Engineer and to my ears they still sound like they could have been released in modern times!

Public Enemy must have been infuluenced by The Beatles in some way, hence sampling them on more than one occasion!

The 'anecdote' is not 'designed' to impress.

In fact I couldn't care less if people are interested or 'impressed' or not.

But it is indeed 100% accurate!

If someone doesn't like The Beatles then thats up to them!

We all have different likes and tastes... :D
Press Play On Tape

club

Post by club » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I teach Primary school kids, believe me when I tell you a 4 year old can certainly get pretty fanatical about stuff, usually stemming from their parents' or siblings' influence. Today I had a six year old tell me she wanted to be in Three Days Grace when she was older :?
+1 for you enjoying something decent at such a young age!

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 am

Naitch wrote:Public Enemy must have been infuluenced by The Beatles in some way, hence sampling them on more than one occasion!
:roll:
Sampling something and being influenced by something are not the same thing.
It's quite common to take a snippet from a crap song and turn it into something listenable.
Which is what Public Enemy did on more than one occasion :wink: (I think it was only 2 but there you go).

Everybody has different tastes, you're right.
The Beatles are not mine.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 am

I've tried many times (And being a huge Oasis fan you think i would love the Beatles) but i dont know, it just sounds old fashioned and 'music for my parents'. Do appreciate how many hits they had and back then in the 60's i can see why they were soooooo huge compared to the music before.

But i just cant 'relate' to the music, just sounds old, then they went through their indian hippy moustache phase which really put me off. Great music for parents but not really anything i can relate to. Do find the documentaries about the Beatles fascinating, the way women just go mental and scream, bizarre. When i go and see a concert of my favourite band i dont faint or start screaming. Weird the way girls act at concerts !

Very very talented band though, nowadays so much music is manufactured, songs given to some pretty slim 21 year old and its just 'throwaway pop'.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Shmikcles!

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:32 pm

psj3809 wrote:I've tried many times (And being a huge Oasis fan you think i would love the Beatles) but i dont know, it just sounds old fashioned and 'music for my parents'. Do appreciate how many hits they had and back then in the 60's i can see why they were soooooo huge compared to the music before.

But i just cant 'relate' to the music, just sounds old, then they went through their indian hippy moustache phase which really put me off. Great music for parents but not really anything i can relate to. Do find the documentaries about the Beatles fascinating, the way women just go mental and scream, bizarre. When i go and see a concert of my favourite band i dont faint or start screaming. Weird the way girls act at concerts !

Very very talented band though, nowadays so much music is manufactured, songs given to some pretty slim 21 year old and its just 'throwaway pop'.
New and modern doesn't mean better though, lol it drives me nuts when people refuse to like something basing it on that it's not modern. On a retro site it's an odd thing to say :lol:

I'm a big Oasis fan too, I've seen them 5 times, but I may never have got into them if I wasn't into The Beatles since about 1982 being 10yrs old. As soon as I heard Definitely Maybe, I thought Beatles. Oasis started out old-fashioned and contrived yet with an original twist. That was until the later years when the Oasis originality waned, because they didn't really change their style much throughout, unlike The Beatles.

Beady Eye (Liam's new band) is now as old fashioned and contrived as ever, they're just Oasis mk2 without the chief, and they're now sounding like a cross between The Beatles, The Who, Oasis and Jerry Lee Lewis. Nice enough music though which my fiance has just bought but it's pretty average.

Anyway, I feel that some people analyse Lennon's troubled life too much and unfairly judge his songs by it. This I think will be the same for the Gallagher brothers but much moreso. I think many opinions are based just down to personal music preferences though. But it takes an interesting and even difficult life (such as Lennon's) to write about different interesting things, and nobody is perfect, Lennon's troubled life was just exposed too much which swayed some peoples views. If his life was more a mystery like George Harrison's then I'm sure more people would appreciate his music more for what it is.

Anyway, a fact is now that The Beatles have already proved themselves to stand the test of time, and as the biggest band of all time. Even after all these years they're still always gaining new young fans and selling millions of albums worldwide and they will continue to do so as they're now a huge important part in modern history.

There has never been such mania about any band than during Beatlemania. The only band who couldn't hear themselves play live for all the screaming fans drowning them out. The only band who really would get ripped to pieces by loads of adoring fans lining the streets with the police pushing them back if they had stepped foot out of the car onto the street during 1964-1966.

Of course they're not to everyone's tastes, and it's only those people who will say that they're over-rated. It doesn't mean it's true though, as the facts say otherwise stapled in history.

I saw Paul McCartney perform in Hyde Park London last year. First time I saw a Beatle live, and a life long ambition fulfilled. He alone still fills out the entire venue today by young and old, my neice was only 15 and she's a huge fan, and Macca has lost none of his showmanship 8)

The Beatles will always be #1 for me and for millions of others (and will continue to be) around the world. It was and always will be all about the music first :)

Steve1977

Post by Steve1977 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm

stvd wrote:

I think som people in here are being a little mean to Naitch to be honest with you. Especially the bit about them sounding dated...maybe so when you listen on AM through the Radio but I believe most of the Beatles albums use techniques (for the first time them) that are still used today. (Multiple tracks to produce that wall of sound etc.) so to accuse them of sounding dated and therefore, implying that the other bands mentioned are not dated is blatantly wrong.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Yep agreed. This will probably cause a small wobble here, but there's nothing much left to invent in music styles now it's more or less all been done.much of rock music now is just more rehashes of old from the innovators, so less new music will actually stand any real test of time. All there is really left now is for lyrics and videos to get more explicit purely for shock value to sell, and the promoters will tell people it's cool and many will always believe hype.

I define cool as liking something that sets you apart from the mainstream, or being just yourself in other words, and not just to follow with current trends, fashion and attitudes.

Old music doesn't mean it sounds dated thus not being music worth having on the playlist, only those who just follow the latest fads (because they're told to) believe this. This is what music labels want us to believe to promote anything new, but again new doesn't mean it's better, it doesn't even mean that the production is any better. Quite often not. Even drums are much synthesized now. There's less musical talent now than there ever has been which is why we now have to suffer The X Factor. What/who do we have these days now, Lady Gaga? More gross than cool :(

New music will always become old, but the fashion followers will then have to hate that too calling it dated and move onto something else for another 5 minutes. That's not what being a music fan is.

The Beatles are a band that will never sound dated, but the dedicated followers of fashion will always convince themselves that they do, because they're brought up to believe that the only good music is what's current.

A shame, if they wasn't fooled into feeling embarrassed by what we are told to think what we should like and shouldn't, then perhaps they'd realise that they're missing out on so much good music out there. My point isn't that they have to like The Beatles, not everybody did in 1964, I'm not generalising everyone who prefers todays music, it's just the ones who falsely believe if it's not new then it's too old-fashioned to listen to. I'm also defending the point that The Beatles are not dated as after all they still have millions more fans throughout the world than any current band or artist today (and always gaining young new ones everyday) even though they're not top of the pops right now, All these undwindling millions can't be wrong.