John Lennon - Your Thoughts

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

John Lennon - Your Thoughts

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 am

As we approach the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death, I just wanted your thoughts and recollections of him, either as a musician or a man.

I've been a major Beatles fan since the age of about 4, and still love them more than any other Band I've heard. All four of them were perfect for each other, and therefore created what is arguably the perfect back catalogue.

When they spilt the world lost the greatest band there will ever be.

When Lennon was killed the world lost its founder.

My thoughts on Lennon are this.

Coming from a mixed up background, having a father disown him, being raised by his Aunt and having his own mother killed in his teens, Lennon had a mixed up view of the world.

This resulted in him becoming a bully, a thug and a college drop out.

Rock N Roll proved to be his great making!

Meeting McCartney would of course change Lennon, and change music as we know it!

As a Beatle, the vast majority of the songs he wrote are brilliant and timeless.

Whether written with McCartney or on his own (They seldom wrote together after 1964!) the finished works are just tremendous.

Though he wasn’t a naturally gifted musician, he had a great feel a great musicality.

A large part of their brilliance was because they were unaware of what they were doing.

He was also always insecure about his vocal ability, but I’ve always thought he had a fine voice.

After The Beatles spilt, (Which was Lennon’s decision!) Lennon changed and not really for the better in my view.

He went through Primal Therapy, and then decided to get involved with radical far left politics, which meant his music, and reputation suffered terribly!

Sometime in New York City is an awful album for example, and I have to be honest and say that I can’t stand ‘Imagine’!

He was perceived as a ‘Working Class Hero’, yet had a very Middle Class upbringing.

Don’t get me wrong though, all four of them have come up with some awful material since the spilt because they no longer had each other!

He did however come up with songs that were just brilliant. ‘Jealous Guy’, ‘Instant Karma’, ‘Whatever Gets You Thru The Night’, ‘Mind Games’, ‘#9 Dream’ just to name a few.

It’s just such a tragic shame that he was killed just as he was entering a new phase of his career.

It’s impossible to say what would have happened had he lived. He would have carried on making records for sure, and there was talk of a World Tour in 1981, but I don’t think the 80s would have been kind to him.

Who knows though, maybe he would have embraced Punk and Disco.

‘Double Fantasy’ and ‘Milk And Honey’ have touches of New Wave in them.

Or he may just have been perceived as an old Crank.

The 90s however saw The Beatles reclaim their rightful place, and I’m sure Lennon would have been at the forefront of that.

Music will always miss John Lennon and I think in 200 years he and The Beatles will still be just as popular!

RIP John Lennon
Press Play On Tape

Kilb

Re: John Lennon - Your Thoughts

Post by Kilb » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:18 am

He was nothing special
Loud mouthed and arrogant (but not in a rock 'n' roll way)
Did not even think he was a great song writer
was a has been by the time he died
Far greater bands in the 60's and 70's in my opinion

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 am

He was a "pacifist" who had support for the IRA as they killed their way through British citizens in the 70's.

He was a multi millionaire who sang "Imagine no Possessions"

Personally George Harrison's my dead Beatle of choice.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:28 am

Maybe it was innocent times or just naivety.I think he would had still being alive today if had bodyguards*apparently they where fired weeks before his death*.Was well known his whereabouts.often spoken to fans without any security beside him.

@hawk-that persona is officially edited out.he supported peace :wink:

Apparently the beatles anthology was originally going to end with a reunion concert.
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 am

He was a flawed genius.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:47 am

Horribly over-rated.

Never been a fan of the Beatles, though there is the odd worthy tune; similarly for the solo Beatles. Absulotely HATE Imagine, though - a song that bombed on its first release (some classic, huh?) and only rose to No 1 following a second release after John's murder. Shame that he is no longer with us as I am sure he would have continued to keep his fans happy with new music.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 am

A great talent (if inconsistent), but a hypocrite. His death made him a martyr of sorts and Yoko even more of a pariah as she cashes in.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 am

I consider myself a Beatles fan, but agree with much that has been written on here.

Solo they were all pretty average, with the odd gem here and there.
Lennon needed McCartney, and McCartney needed Lennon. Not to write with each other (as they very rarely did so), but to stand up to the other one, and say a song was rubbish or needed improvement.

Once they were solo artists there was nobody to say those things. John and Paul were ex-Beatles, and everyone bowed down to them, told them everything they did was wonderful, and allowed them to be self indulgent with their work. Albums such as Mind Games, Rock 'n' Roll, Sometime in New York City, Double Fantasy from Lennon in the 70's/80's were pretty poor. Similarly the list of poor McCartney albums is long too, Wild Life, Wings at the Speed of Sound, Press to Play, Pipes of Peace.....

Even George, who I agree with the earlier poster was the best solo Beatle, released some turgid albums, but was saved by having a fantastic attitude to life and fame, and releasing some superb material as well.

I'm still sad John Lennon got shot, but as a musician I think he'd have just faded like McCartney has. He'd always have been an A-List legend, but the genius songwriting of his youth would always elude him.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:13 pm

I've always like the music of The Beatles and I have the Lennon Legend compilation album, which has a lot of excellent solo songs on it. He's one of probably three famous people whos death has upset me (the other two being Diana and Douglas Adams). I can always remember being in an art lesson at school and the teachers were talking about John's death. I remember exactly where I was sitting, and I expect that memory was the morning of 9th December 1980.

I often wonder what he would have done if he had lived. There may be some other classic songs that we never got, or he might have been more like Paul and not had much of an impact since then.

I was playing some of his songs at work today, and I'll be watching the shows tonight. Starting at 20:00 on Sky Arts until 0:30 there are programmes on, and also one on BBC4 at 22:00.

"The Day John Lennon Died" was on a few nights ago on ITV, and that was good, as well as sad.

He wasn't perfect by any means, but he made some damn good music.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:25 pm

I was mad about the Beatles in my mid-teens but found Lennon's solo material heavy going. As I got older and learned more about the man the more I grew to dislike him, the wife-beating, being an annoying drug bore and generally being an obtuse hypocrite.

However, none of that changes the fact that he made some really good music, for whatever reason the man was a mess and only really found happiness just before he was murdered which is a shame. As I got older I could appreciate the qualities of the solo material that escaped me as a teenager and just like with the Beatles I feel if given the time I could make a cracking playlist of about 30% of his solo output.

A lot of the musicians I admire are/were hardly admirable in their private lives, Kurt Cobain, Shane McGowan, Ian Curtis, Shaun Ryder, Jason Pierce, Billy Holiday, Pete Doherty and Leadbelly (just off the top of my head) but they still make/made great music (in my opinion). Sometimes being a bit of a c*nt goes hand-in-hand with talent. It's just a case of do they make great music because they're partying so hard or that they party so hard because they're a bit mad and madness is close to genius? I don't know, but I think John Lennon was definitely talented and definitely an unlikeable d*ck for quite a bit of his adult life.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:06 pm

If he was still around today he would be all fat and wrinkly and appearing on morning TV sofas pedalling his latest pile of tat - some nutter shot the dude - so it goes.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Like many of the greatest singers , he died before his time. Perhaps this more than anything made him an icon that is unlikely to be forgotten.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:40 pm

the_hawk wrote:He was a "pacifist" who had support for the IRA as they killed their way through British citizens in the 70's.

He was a multi millionaire who sang "Imagine no Possessions"

Personally George Harrison's my dead Beatle of choice.
Amen brother.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Kilb wrote:He was nothing special
Loud mouthed and arrogant (but not in a rock 'n' roll way)
Did not even think he was a great song writer
was a has been by the time he died
Far greater bands in the 60's and 70's in my opinion
Got to go along with this sorry. Just as an example - If Brian Wilson had been shot and killed there would be the same fuss made over him. Wilson's stuff knocks Lennons out of the water.

I don't want to knock anyone's heroes, that's just my opinion :D

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:01 am

Sepp Salerno wrote: Got to go along with this sorry. Just as an example - If Brian Wilson had been shot and killed there would be the same fuss made over him. Wilson's stuff knocks Lennons out of the water.

I don't want to knock anyone's heroes, that's just my opinion :D
Hear hear. Indeed, for my money, only Frank Zappa can really be spoken of in the same breath as Brian wilson, and then only just; everyone else pales by comparison.