Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

James A

Post by James A » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:04 pm

The Killer has a better story line than Hard Boiled, but Hard Boiled probably has the better action scenes especially the warehouse shoot out. Both great films to watch. Hmmmm think i might watch he Killer tonight after the pub

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm

I always thought the ending of The Killer was just a little bit silly. I don't know whether it's the english dubbing that makes it that way though.
Splink!

thl

Post by thl » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:43 pm

felgekarp wrote:I always thought the ending of The Killer was just a little bit silly. I don't know whether it's the English dubbing that makes it that way though.
I thought the ending for The Killer was really good. Although it was very tragic in the sense how the leading actors died and being arrested, John Woo would intend to use that scene to build up this dramatic climax which worked really well.

I don't usually watch any Hong Kong or martial art movies in English dubbing due to it being dull and ridiculously cheesy.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:20 pm

thl wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I always thought the ending of The Killer was just a little bit silly. I don't know whether it's the English dubbing that makes it that way though.
I too thought the end of The Killer was a little on the silly side truth be told! The English dubbing certainly didn't help it.

I thought the ending for The Killer was really good. Although it was very tragic in the sense how the leading actors died and being arrested, John Woo would intend to use that scene to build up this dramatic climax which worked really well.

See above :lol:

I don't usually watch any Hong Kong or martial art movies in English dubbing due to it being dull and ridiculously cheesy.
Me neither, are we suppose to believe that everyone in Hong Kong, China, Japan et al all learnt English at school. Just kidding :o

For me, watching a dubbed foreign film, just takes something away from the overall enjoyment of the original product.

The single WORST piece of dubbing I have EVER heard has to be for Return to a Better Tomorrow with Ekin Cheng. One of the characters, a young girl under the age of 10 is dubbed by a woman, who is easily in her 30's!! :shock: The most horrible "voice acting" ever commited to celluloid.

The Killer has also been mooted as a possible US remake starring non other than housewife favourite, Richard Gere!

Other great HK Cinema films : (Not classed as Martial Arts)

Young and Dangerous (1-3)

Bullet in the Head

God of Gamblers

Infernal Affairs

Days of Being Wild

The Bride With White Hair

Once a Thief
- Worth watching for the card throwing assassin (possibly the inspiration for a similar character in the recent US film, Smokin Aces) at the end and a fun God of Gamblers reference.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:41 pm

I know it's not a film but what about The Water Margin series?

thl

Post by thl » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:39 pm

Xesh wrote:I know it's not a film but what about The Water Margin series?
It did show it on ITV4 a year ago.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:55 pm

Picked up the first series a while back, never really saw it when it used to be on beeb 2 all those years ago, for some reason I always used to forget it was on and ended up seeing the last few minutes of most episodes, I'll get round to picking up series 2 at some point, Music Zone have most of the episode discs for a fiver or at least they used to. Whilst quite enjoyable I don't think it could match up to Monkey.
Splink!

Jayextee

Post by Jayextee » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:34 am

I'm glad City Hunter has already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate; see it, now if you haven't!

Not the best film ever, but after the 600th or so time, the Streetfighter scene still makes me giggle -- any other übergeeks out there realise that Jackie (As Chun-Li) crouches before the spinning bird kick; yep, he's charging the move all right!

And "Dhalsim" yells out "Tiger!" when he kicks (Sagat's voice sample), but I'll forgive the film that.

thl

Post by thl » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Jayextee wrote:I'm glad City Hunter has already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate; see it, now if you haven't!

Not the best film ever, but after the 600th or so time, the Streetfighter scene still makes me giggle -- any other übergeeks out there realise that Jackie (As Chun-Li) crouches before the spinning bird kick; yep, he's charging the move all right!

And "Dhalsim" yells out "Tiger!" when he kicks (Sagat's voice sample), but I'll forgive the film that.
Not forgetting Guile who combed his hair and then took on Ken (played by Gary Daniels) where they both done their special moves e.g. Sonic Boom and Hadouken.

Jackie Chan who also played as E. Honda was so funny that he pulled off the Hundred Hand Slaps and Sumo Head-Ram very well, only to be done by special effects and the use of the modelled dummy. :lol:

bosher

Post by bosher » Fri May 04, 2007 10:54 am

i do like martial art films. but the one that sticks out in my mind is undefeatable. the film is about a police officer who has her sister killed in a gang realated death (i think). she then tries to find out who killed her sister and seeks revenge. i know sometimes films arent as good as they are made out to be, but undefeatable takes the censored. really bad casting, really bad (and i mean really bad) acting and propa censored fight scenes. if you dont believe me, have a look for ur self. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNhqOT2G_k

This fight scene is the last scene in the film. theres to much shouting, bad acting and crap punch sound effects. Also the best part of the film is the slow motion punches. the film isnt actually slowed down, its the actors going really slow. Honestly the film is tht censored!!
davey bosher says relax!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri May 04, 2007 7:16 pm

Oh my Word!

That is just painfully funny for all the wrong reasons.

If you watch very closely, you can see one of the "actors" displaying the emotion of pain in his face BEFORE the other guy has managed to hit him in said face! :shock:

Cynthia Rothrock eh! What about her. Always in really dodgy and hammy acted fighting films. When will she get the recognition that she truly deserves :lol:

Actually, she is in a film called Martial Law and it is actually quite an entertaining film with some above average fight scenes
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat May 05, 2007 6:25 am

The bit where Cynthia Rothrock comes on swinging that towel is cinematic gold :D
Splink!

thl

Post by thl » Wed May 09, 2007 4:45 pm

felgekarp wrote:The bit where Cynthia Rothrock comes on swinging that towel is cinematic gold :D
She also starred along with Michelle Yeoh in Police Assassin.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu May 10, 2007 5:13 am

thl wrote:
felgekarp wrote:The bit where Cynthia Rothrock comes on swinging that towel is cinematic gold :D
She also starred along with Michelle Yeoh in Police Assassin.
I've only ever seen her in China O'brian and Millionaires Express.
Splink!

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Fri May 11, 2007 8:24 am

I love these movies, probably more than is healthy!

City Hunter is brilliantly bonkers, I think I may need to rewatch that. My personal favorite of Jackie's work is Operation Condor, Armour of God 2. The first is a little weak despite our hero nearly killing himself. The second is much better and the fights at the end are great.

I'd also like to put out some respect for a couple of French martial arts films which I really enjoy:

Brotherhood of the Wolf
District 13

They are both overlong and very french but the way they shoot the action is interesting and distinctive!
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.