Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:40 am

drewbar wrote:Was it 'Mr. Nice Guy'? I can't recall seeing it though - but thought I read something in the papers when it was being filmed around Melbourne - possibly?
That's right. It also featured some actors/actresses from TV soap programmes such as Neighbours and Heartbreak High.

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:34 pm

Gee, Heartbreak High....have not thought about that for a long time. All those years of therapy....gone! :)

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:12 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:I vaguely remember some Ninja films with Sho Kosugi in the mid/late 80's.
Don't forget the Street Fighter TV series with Sonny Chiba.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:26 pm

That havent made a dvd set for that have they, I might look it up
Watching you sleep since 1990

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Yeah they have.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:41 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Jet Li's The Legend Of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 are amazing, shame that some of the stuff he's made in the US has been terrible...
Those are amazing films. I've loved them ever since accidentally finding them on TV late one night.

It's a shame they haven't had a decent DVD release.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 am

I'm a big fan of Kung Fu films, I especially like Sammo Hung's films. His career has been prolific and so influential on Hong-Kong Kung Fu cinema. (He was even in Enter the Dragon).

Hong-Kong Legends and Optimum releases make up an ever increasing part of my DVD collection.

Here's a list of my favourites and some others worth watching for anyone who's interested:

-Once Upon A Time in China 1,2,3
-Magnificent Butcher
-Iron Fisted Monk
-Iron Monkey
-Dragons Forever
-Encounters Of The Spooky Kind
-Mr. Vampire
-Prodigal Son
-Odd Couple
-Project A 1&2
-Eastern Condors
-Police Story
-Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon

A special mention should go to Jackie Chan's Armour Of God, not for being particularly good (it's just silly fun), but for the scene with the female body guards. If the 80's hair and makeup wasn't scary enough, the fact that during the fight scene they're all replaced by rather burly male stuntmen in drag is. :lol:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:57 am

Apart from the Once Upon A Time films, your list is almost the same as mine.
Splink!

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:40 pm

felgekarp wrote:
thl wrote:
Favourite Jackie Chan films are Project A, Police Story, Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, Armour of God and Drunken Master II. :D

Shaolin Soccer is another good movie to see for its comedy thanks to Stephen Chow. :lol:
I've never seen Drunken Master 2 due to it not getting some form of official release
This film also featured Korean American actor Ho Sung Pak, better known as Liu Kang in the Mortal Kombat I & II game. He played as one of the leading baddies along with Jackie Chan's real life bodyguard Ken Low.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:35 pm

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:I'm a big fan of Kung Fu films, I especially like Sammo Hung's films. His career has been prolific and so influential on Hong-Kong Kung Fu cinema. (He was even in Enter the Dragon).
I particularly enjoyed watching Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao as the leading cast in classic films such as Project A, Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, and the Lucky Stars series.

Jackie Chan was also in Enter the Dragon, playing as one of the guards in the basement scene. If you look at the action sequence very carefully, Jackie got into Bruce's headlock and then whack by the staff during the scene.
The Penultimate Ninja wrote:Here's a list of my favourites and some others worth watching for anyone who's interested:

-Once Upon A Time in China 1,2,3
-Magnificent Butcher
-Iron Fisted Monk
-Iron Monkey
-Dragons Forever
-Encounters Of The Spooky Kind
-Mr. Vampire
-Prodigal Son
-Odd Couple
-Project A 1&2
-Eastern Condors
-Police Story
-Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon
Looking at that list, nearly all the films was screened on Channel 4, Bravo and CNX couple of years ago.
The Penultimate Ninja wrote:A special mention should go to Jackie Chan's Armour Of God, not for being particularly good (it's just silly fun), but for the scene with the female body guards. If the 80's hair and makeup wasn't scary enough, the fact that during the fight scene they're all replaced by rather burly male stuntmen in drag is. :lol:
That could be the point. Those Amazon women might have be replaced by stuntmen during that fight sequence. Lots of takes had to be edited quite often to ensure audiences that they're fighting Jackie. Also this film nearly ended not just Jackie's career, but his life. The out-takes are shown at the end credits.

Wildnites

Re:

Post by Wildnites » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:39 am

thl wrote:Also this film nearly ended not just Jackie's career, but his life. The out-takes are shown at the end credits.
Considering he had already done the Stunt but didn't like the way it looked and done it again :shock:

Lucky to be alive really...
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:59 am

Wildnites wrote:
thl wrote:Also this film nearly ended not just Jackie's career, but his life. The out-takes are shown at the end credits.
Considering he had already done the Stunt but didn't like the way it looked and done it again :shock:

Lucky to be alive really...
That's exactly what he done in Project A. For example the clock tower stunt. It took at least three takes to get it right.

Jackie went through a lot of pain during that sequence and when he look back at those takes, he deicided on the footages to use for the final print.

Also that scene was inspired by Harold Lloyd's Safety Last!.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:31 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:I also used to love the American Ninja films, however, watching one recently, they have dated very badly!
It showed it on Bravo a few weeks ago as part of the martial arts week. And believed it or not, it included some sequels. :o

American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt was a bit of a laugh. The storyline may sounded too obvious, but poor scripts, cheesy dialogues and bad castings made it as worst than the previous films. The fight sequence are okay and quite fun to watch, but apart from that the choerography, editing and timing are ridiculously slow. Otherwise it's all done in a very typical western style. :lol:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:11 pm

Just bought Invincible (from executive producers Mel Gibson and Jet Li).
Anyone know if it is any good?

C4

Post by C4 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:18 am

I personally like Jackie Chan's City Hunter (1992).