Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

richie freebird

Re: Martial art movies

Post by richie freebird » Mon May 27, 2013 4:35 pm

TheDude18 wrote:Check out this scene for the ultimate martial arts showdown. Best use of springboards ever! Bonus points if you can work out what music they have ripped off too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaWJTOlca4
That is absolutely fantastic! I've never seen or heard of that paticular film, but it is the disregard for conventional physics, along with the sheer ridiculousness of some of these barmy takes on the martial arts genre that help give it an appeal to me. I mean, surely when they were filming and editing that movie that you linked there, they must have realised the hilarity of what they were doing?

I've just had a quick look through some of my collection, and noticed a movie called The Mighty Four which I also remember having some really “out of the box” physics. At one point, the hero grabs a baddie in each hand and and simply throws them up in the air, never for them to return again. The only thing is, once their bodies have left the upper screen, the shadows of them dangling on the wires are still visible on the floor. As I said though, none of this detracts from the films for me. I find myself in admiration of the ambitiousness of the film makers (who obviously had little money and by the looks of it little experience in film making) that they would even try to pull of such fantastical techniques when relentlessly whipping these films out. So little information is given on the Vengeance DVD selves too, and these films were re named so many times over the years, that it's quite hard to find out any solid, reliable information on them. Somehow that mystery adds another dimension to my appreciation for them.

Unofficial sequel to Lee's last movie, Game of Death

Of the many unofficial sequels to Bruce Lee's movies (usually whipped out by chancers wanting to cash in on his fame), Game of Death II has got to be amongst the best. For me at least, it's just better than it has any right to be. When you consider that they used stock footage of Lee, interjected with Tong Lung playing his double (and also the lead role in the film as Lee's character's brother), it sounds like a complete disaster waiting to happen. The outcome though, at least in my opinion is a respectably polished film (all things considered). The final fight in this flick is one of my favourite of all time.

I couldn't see the fight scene in question as a stand alone video after a (very brief) look on youtube, so here's the full film, if anyone is interested in seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B25BsoFfdug
And this bird you'll never change...

CranberrySeeder

Post by CranberrySeeder » Fri May 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Awesome videos. For some more American style martial arts...check out the trailer for Deadly Crossing. It's out at Red BOx right now. Definitely worth a view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFuAuxMUrQE

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Probably pushing the limits of “martial arts”, but is anyone a fan of the Lone Wolf & Cub series of films from the early / mid 70's? I watched all six of the original Japanese titles a couple of years ago, and am planning on revisiting them all in the coming weeks. I watched the first one again last week, and was reminded of the sheer awesomeness of these films.

Ogami Ittō: Official executioner of the Tokugawa Shogunate

I love the sword skills in these films, the explicit, stylised violence and bloodshed in them is right up my alley. Legend has it that it was the "shooting blood" effects in these movies that went on to inspire similar techniques in the Kill Bill duo of films.

Any more fans of this series (or any other more vintage Samurai movies)?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:59 pm

I've seen 3 of them I think and of course Shogun Assasin, great films, I've got one of the box sets that I keep meaning to work my way through at some point. Seven Samurai can't go without being mentioned and I thought 13 Assassins was quite good as well, might as well mention The One Armed Swordsman, The Blade and Ghost Dog as well, although I think Ghost Dog's pushing it a bit for a samurai movie :D
Splink!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:27 pm

I love anything with Bruce lee in he's awesome and had a fasinatng life and even has his own style martial art apart from bullet proof monk I hate ma films with people who fly as im glad mortal kombat was a bit more traditional. Drunken master is
a movie with drunken fist ma.
This guy are sick

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 am

richie freebird wrote:Any more fans of this series (or any other more vintage Samurai movies)?
Yeah the lone wolf and cub comics are damn good to...
Kurosawa stuff with mifune is all good Yojimbo, seven samurai, rashomon etc.
Lady Snowblood is great and has those awesome arcing blood effects in it...
Hanzo the Razor is cool, haven't seen that in a long time though... I remember he beat his censored with reeds everday... can't remember why.
And of course Zatoichi, the old series and the new one with Beat Takeshi in it.

I think my all time martial art movie is probly Streetfighter.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:21 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:
richie freebird wrote:Any more fans of this series (or any other more vintage Samurai movies)?
Yeah the lone wolf and cub comics are damn good to...
Kurosawa stuff with mifune is all good Yojimbo, seven samurai, rashomon etc.
Lady Snowblood is great and has those awesome arcing blood effects in it...
Hanzo the Razor is cool, haven't seen that in a long time though... I remember he beat his censored with reeds everday... can't remember why.
And of course Zatoichi, the old series and the new one with Beat Takeshi in it.

I think my all time martial art movie is probly Streetfighter.
i hope you're talking about the animated one :mrgreen:

two of the first movies i saw on tape was FIST OF FURY and THE BIG BOSS, downstairs in my neighbour's house
i'm a big fan of JACKIE CHAN, i taped almost all of the movies that channel four shown, as a season years ago ..... and right now i'm watching THUNDERBOLT on M>MOVIES!

got LONE WOLF AND CUB on dvd and got some others like CASSHERN, RAN and CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON too

hope y'all mentioned TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (1989) too, and i adore MORTAL KOMBAT, seen it in the cinema ..... bought the soundtrack, and have the dvd .....

and just finished reading about the sad circumstances about BRANDON LEE in empire magazine ..... also saw THE CROW in the cinema too!

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 am

Not the game franchise the old japanese movie!

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:12 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:Not the game franchise the old japanese movie!
Ah yes, Sonny Chiba's classic martial arts romp. I have the anthology box set of The Street Fighter movies, and also a spin off film called Sister Street Fighter. Chiba really oozes charisma in these flicks. His acting is superb. I think though, even more than the Street Fighter series, my favourite film of Chiba's may possibly be Karate Bear Fighter. His showdown deathmatch fight with a bear is just the stuff of absolute wonder lust for me. Chiba is the man though, no doubt about that.

Sonny Chiba: Can beat up bears, like

If we're including new school martial arts films in the discussion in here, then I'd like to mention The Raid: Redemption. I only saw this film on Wednesday, but I can safely say that it contains the most intricate and thrilling fight choreography that I've ever, ever seen. For those who don't know, the film is from Indonesia, and exhibits such South-East Asian fighting styles as pencak silat, eskrima and influences from muay Thai. These styles give the combat scenes a completely different feel to traditional kung-fu movies. A feel that is really, visually stunning.

It's and extremely violent movie though, so not one for the weak at stomach. If gore is your thing though, go watch it right now! (And thank me later).

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:00 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:Kurosawa stuff with mifune is all good Yojimbo, seven samurai, rashomon etc.
Forgot to pick up on this part. I also have quite a lot of Kurosawa's works (which are invariably masterpieces). It was actually Seven Samurai that got me into the genre of vintage sword fighting flicks. As mentioned, Yojimbo also blew me away and is possibly my favourite offering from Kurosawa, save for another one of his films who's name unfortunately escapes me.

Yojimbo's fantastic theatrical poster. Real works of art, these things.

I think my all time favourite film from what I've seen of the black and white era Samurai movement though has to be Harakiri (1962), directed by Masaki Kobayashi. It's very much a slow burner, but as the story gradually unfolds, the plot becomes ingenious. If you have even a passing interest in the Samurai epics, I'd highly suggest checking this one out. Luckily, in this wonderful modern wage we live in, the entire film is up, high quality and subtitled on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_2y2MxjrY

If we can predictably take some of the dabate back in the direction of Bruce Lee too, I re watched The Big Boss (for what must be at least the 10th time) on Friday afternoon. I remeber this being the first of Lee's flicks that I was ever exposed to, and he'd won me over in the very first scene. Reading opinions on Lee's movies, this one often seems to be held in the lest high regard of his offerings (Game of Death doesn't count), but for me, there's just an untouchable magic about the Big Boss which actually makes it my favorite of his movies.

Thoughts?

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:04 am

Cool, Haven't seen Harakiri or bear fighter before, have to check em out. Haven't seen the Raid yet either but have been meaning to check that out...
Another slightly less martial arty one would be Brotherhood of the Wolf, which has some freaking awesome fight scenes in it...

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:37 pm

They are drastically different films, style-wise, but all fantastic in their own right.

Harakiri has a really gradual and methodical pacing. Once all of the slowly unravelling pieces of the plot become apparent though, it builds into a thrilling (and very cleverly worked) conclusion, which makes the build up all worth while. Karate Bear Fighter is more your standard Japanese martial arts romp of its era, with the added bizarre element of, you know ...fighting a bear.! Raid: Redemption is just a relentless onslaught of ferocious brutality, but with breathtaking fight choreography and action sequences.

It just shows you how much variation there can be on films of this nature. I'd say the Samurai films can really be considered their own genre, separate from standard “martial arts”, but all in all, the Far East has a fantastic variety of cinema out there, from the 40's right up to the present day.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:25 pm

richie freebird wrote:Image
Unofficial sequel to Lee's last movie, Game of Death

Of the many unofficial sequels to Bruce Lee's movies (usually whipped out by chancers wanting to cash in on his fame), Game of Death II has got to be amongst the best. For me at least, it's just better than it has any right to be. When you consider that they used stock footage of Lee, interjected with Tong Lung playing his double (and also the lead role in the film as Lee's character's brother), it sounds like a complete disaster waiting to happen. The outcome though, at least in my opinion is a respectably polished film (all things considered). The final fight in this flick is one of my favourite of all time.

I couldn't see the fight scene in question as a stand alone video after a (very brief) look on youtube, so here's the full film, if anyone is interested in seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B25BsoFfdug

Just watched this and really enjoyed it. To be honest I think it would have worked better if they'd just junked Bruce's bits entirely and made it a completely separate film, but then it wouldn't have been as successful. Also not entirely sure how you can have a tower that goes into the ground, but never mind.

That said, can any of the resident martial arts experts explain why one of the baddies was dressed as a caveman?

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:58 pm

One of my fave fight scenes of all time :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DASVxFS5tg

The best scene in Drunken Master II - which was re-released in the US in 2000 as The Legend of Drunken Master. Ken Lo (his opponent using Master-class Tae Kwon Do) is also Jackie Chan's bodyguard in real life too.

This is Jackie on top form, the choreography is top notch, his athletic ability is un-questionable and the fight scene left many jaws-on-the-floor in the theatre.

Simply astounding.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:58 am

Enter The Dragon is still king.

Aside from that you've got to love Bloodsport.