Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dave300

Re: Martial art movies

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 am

I can't be arsed to read all the pages in this thread and although it's probably been mentioned already, I watched Ip Man and Ip Man 2 recently. Both excellent films - based on the life of the Master of a certain Mr. Bruce Lee. Set during the invasion of Japan (and later, the Brits!). They both have simple, humble storylines, but the fighting is very well choreographed. Really enjoyed both of them.

icester

Post by icester » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 pm

I loved the old bruce lee game on the commodore 64. Them was the dayz

OldKid

Post by OldKid » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm

pratty wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
pratty wrote:Just watched Magnificent Butcher for the first time today, it was indeed magnificent.
It's an ace film, have you seen Iron Fisted Monk as well?
No not yet. I don't have lots of Sammo's film as I tend to favour Jackie Chan's stuff over his his, but Sammo is still a legend, I've got most of Jackie and Sammo's collaborations like Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever.
I've been waiting to see this film... I think I might watch it this weekend!

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm

My fabourites are still:
Ninja in the Dragon's Den
Iron Monkey
Hand of Death

Slightly less 'actiony' I love (and strongly recommend):
Twilight Samurai
The Hidden Blade
Love and Honour
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 90s Tv Series.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:27 pm

OldKid wrote:
pratty wrote:Just watched Magnificent Butcher for the first time today, it was indeed magnificent.
I've been waiting to see this film... I think I might watch it this weekend!
Do it, easily my favourite Sammo movie.

Recnetly I've been on a bit of a Bey Logan comentary binge. I wasn't really watching the films at the time but I found myself drawn into watching The Young Master, great fun!
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Trev & Simons 'Ninja Day Off' from Going Live.

Thought Ong Bak / Warrior King showed a promising rising star - sadly they are the best of his output that I've seen.

Skinny Tiger fatty Dragon , The Bodyguard (not the KC trash) , Project A and the odd couple are but a small selection of titles I find nestled in my frequent watch pile.

As for dated or cheesy stuff - Showdown in Little Tokyo is still a firm favourite - though very dated. Ninja Terminator gets extra credit for being one of the only subbed or dubbed films to make me cry with laughter at the awful quality.

prinnysquad

Post by prinnysquad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:44 pm

felgekarp wrote:Yeah I know what you mean there, I picked up a few of Sammos films when Hong Kong Legends were releasing them, he's done some quality stuff, I can recommend Millionaires Express, Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon, Eastern Condors, Close Encounters Of The Spooky Kind and The Odd Couple if you're after some others.
The Odd Couple has some of the best weapons action I've seen, and features Dean Shek in a truly remarkable cameo.
Sammo is superb in Knockabout, Iron Fisted Monk and Magnificent Butcher as well as those you've mentioned. He's even pretty good in Hapkido. A true great!

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 am

Ip Man and Ip Man 2 are on Film Four on Friday if anyone hasn't seen them.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 pm

pratty wrote:Ip Man and Ip Man 2 are on Film Four on Friday if anyone hasn't seen them.
IP Man 2 is basically Rocky IV isnt it? :D

They are alright, not the bees knees as many seem to think
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:51 am

I grew up with films like Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Nico (Above the law).

Bloodsport is probably the perfect martial arts film and provided the template for Mortal Kombat and most 3D brawlers. Van Damme is awesome in it, but the whole cast is excellent. The combat is fantastic too. I wonder if UFC explicitly bans dim mak in the rules :D

The kickboxer series is pretty good too. Tong Po has to be the most awesome opponent ever in any of these films (he would kick Chuck Norris' ass). That scene where he's kicking that concrete pillar - that's badass! The series sucked after Van Damme left and the third film is so hilariously bad it is actually worth watching. They even managed to censored up Tong Po.

Nico (which is called "Above the law" according to IMDB) is Segal's best film. It is incredible that a man who moves so, erm, economically can cause so much damage. Segal is great in this film, which he wrote himself.

My favourite martial arts films these days are the Stephen Chow ones. I discovered him by accident. We went to go see Batman Begins (I think) and it was mid-summer and the airconditioning in that screen had blown. So we took a vote and ended up watching Kung fu hussle. Holy censored, what a film! The action and effects are amazing, but the film is so censored hilarious. I laughed so hard watching that film. I since discovered the Shaolin series and they're all brilliant too. If you haven't seen Kung fu hussle, you have to check it out!

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 am

theantmeister wrote: Nico (which is called "Above the law" according to IMDB) is Segal's best film. It is incredible that a man who moves so, erm, economically can cause so much damage. Segal is great in this film, which he wrote himself.
I'll second this.
I remember watching Nico and Dark Angel in the same night and loving both of them but Nico, apart from a few tacky sped up fight scenes it a great action film with seriousness not seen in any of Segal's later work.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 05, 2012 4:46 am

theantmeister wrote:My favourite martial arts films these days are the Stephen Chow ones. I discovered him by accident. We went to go see Batman Begins (I think) and it was mid-summer and the airconditioning in that screen had blown. So we took a vote and ended up watching Kung fu hussle. Holy censored, what a film! The action and effects are amazing, but the film is so censored hilarious. I laughed so hard watching that film. I since discovered the Shaolin series and they're all brilliant too. If you haven't seen Kung fu hussle, you have to check it out!
Stephen Chow is brilliant. I must recommend Shaolin Soccer, King Of Comedy, God Of Cookery and King of Beggers. But a lot of older films are great too, stuff like Hail The Judge, Flirting Scholar, Forbidden City Cop and Fight Back To School.

Seems like his output has really slowed down lately though which is a shame. Both Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle were rumoured for sequels for a long time.

thl

Re: Martial arts films

Post by thl » Wed May 23, 2012 7:23 pm

pratty wrote:Stephen Chow is brilliant. I must recommend Shaolin Soccer, King Of Comedy, God Of Cookery and King of Beggers. But a lot of older films are great too, stuff like Hail The Judge, Flirting Scholar, Forbidden City Cop and Fight Back To School.

Seems like his output has really slowed down lately though which is a shame. Both Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle were rumoured for sequels for a long time.
Good call. His films in the 90s are my favourite.

You also forgot about Curry and Pepper, Tricky Brain, Out of the Dark and Sixty Million Dollar Man. Plus All for the Winners, God of Gamblers II and God of Gamblers III: Back to Shanghai are defintely a must see. Another one to look out for is Love on Delivery and I highly recommend it.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

[quote="paranoid marvin"][quote="thl"]I start watching martial art movies around the late 80s. Actors/actresses I remembered are Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh and Sammo Hung. They're all big name stars that dominated the Hong Kong movie industries, as well in Asia and the rest of the world.

The film that's likely to be remembered is [i]Enter the Dragon[/i]. It's still regarded as a classic thanks to the impact that Bruce Lee brought and created in front of the cameras. Ataaaaah!![/quote]

ETD is the best martial arts film EVER![/quote]

Agreed!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

1500graham

Re:

Post by 1500graham » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:48 pm

[quote="LoungeVamp"]Um... does Big Trouble in Little China count? I loved that film 8)[/quote]

You bet it does...classic!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."