Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Re: Martial arts films

Post by thl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:The Big Boss is good, no doubt about that, but I think imho though, that Enter The Dragon is that bit better. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because the final fight against Han in the Room of Mirrors, or John Saxon's fight against Bolo that clinches it. It might even be the story (Bruce Lee as a spy? Well, why not?), I just can't put my finger on it.
It's still regarded a classic as it defined the film genre. The fight with O'Hara was superb as he demonstrated the speed and power in front of the crowds. Plus the bit where he sidekicked his opponent (also real-life friend) was actually real and he was left with a broken sternum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpu_lTDyd88

Also taking on the guards in the basement was incredible too as the whole fight sequence was choreographed by Bruce Lee himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgCwyHr7Fzs

c0nfu53d

Re: Martial art movies

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 am

bankrupt123 wrote:KICK BOXING is only movie which i very like.Jean-Claude Van Damme ... i like him lot.
Some of my fav movies are Van Damme's, Bloodsport, Knock Off etc. The Quest is a cool movie to watch too as it has a very varied mix of martial arts styles on show.

And welcome to the forums.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:16 am

thl wrote:
That's right as she starred in Yes, Madam!, Royal Warriors, and Magnificent Warriors. She also co-starred with Jackie Chan in Police Story 3: Supercop; Jet Li in Tai Chi Master; and Donnie Yen in Wing Chun.
Have you seen SilverHawk? I don't think it got good reviews from the critics but I really enjoyed it.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:28 am

pratty wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I picked up the Aces Go Places/Mad Mission box set the other day, Bey Logan mentions them a bit in his commentaries for the Lucky Stars films so I thought I'd check them out.
Let us know what it's like. I've only seen one Sam Hui film which was Private Eyes, I remember really enjoying it.
Sam Hui also starred in Swordsman and Dragon From Russia (live film based on the manga Crying Freeman).
goldenone wrote:The only way to watch and fully appreciate Game Of Death is if you get the 2 disc HKL platinum version and watch the 45 or so minutes that was cut out. Absolutely brilliant and shows what a fantastic film this would have been if it had been fully completed.
The original footage was also available on the Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey DVD. As it was written, produced, directed and starred Bruce Lee himself, he wants to continue generating his ideas by bringing every aspects for the film, including different martial arts styles and unique fight sequences. Definitely a must-have documentary.
c0nfu53d wrote:Have you seen SilverHawk? I don't think it got good reviews from the critics but I really enjoyed it.
I seemed to miss out on it as I watched House of Flying Daggers and New Police Story during that time. Will take a look at it.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Been a while that I remembered watching these martial arts documentaries:

The Best of the Martial Arts Films
Kung Fu Fighting

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:31 am

thl wrote:
pratty wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I picked up the Aces Go Places/Mad Mission box set the other day, Bey Logan mentions them a bit in his commentaries for the Lucky Stars films so I thought I'd check them out.
Let us know what it's like. I've only seen one Sam Hui film which was Private Eyes, I remember really enjoying it.
Sam Hui also starred in Swordsman and Dragon From Russia (live film based on the manga Crying Freeman).
Doh, I forgot I have both those films. :oops: :lol:
c0nfu53d wrote:Have you seen SilverHawk? I don't think it got good reviews from the critics but I really enjoyed it.
thl wrote:I seemed to miss out on it as I watched House of Flying Daggers and New Police Story during that time. Will take a look at it.
I thought Silverhawk was pretty decent, and Michelle Yeoh was pretty hot in her costume. Would have been easier to take it more seriously were it not Luke Goss playing the villain though. I have the HK DVD on my trade list if anyone's interested, as I have two copies.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Found a cool little Hong Kong martial arts documentary here, lots of big names interviewed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbBY2M5ryF4

Edit: oops didn't see it was already posted. :oops:

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Just seen a couple of action packed martial Arts Movies Invisible target staring Jaycee Chan (Jackie Chan's son) and Nicholas Tse and Kill Zone staring Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung and Simon Yam.

Both are recommended esp. Kill Zone which while a bit brutal in places really shows off Donnie Yen's blistering speed and skills as a martial Artist and action director. It also shows Sammo Hung is as good as he ever was.

Both have dubbed tracks as well as subs so you can pick your poison (I prefer dubs)

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 am

Killzone/SPL is a great action film. Donnie Yen is probably the be the best in the biz right now, probably ahead of Jet at this point.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Just watched Magnificent Butcher for the first time today, it was indeed magnificent.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:56 pm

pratty wrote:Just watched Magnificent Butcher for the first time today, it was indeed magnificent.
It's an ace film, have you seen Iron Fisted Monk as well?
Splink!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 pm

felgekarp wrote:
pratty wrote:Just watched Magnificent Butcher for the first time today, it was indeed magnificent.
It's an ace film, have you seen Iron Fisted Monk as well?
No not yet. I don't have lots of Sammo's film as I tend to favour Jackie Chan's stuff over his his, but Sammo is still a legend, I've got most of Jackie and Sammo's collaborations like Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Yeah I know what you mean there, I picked up a few of Sammos films when Hong Kong Legends were releasing them, he's done some quality stuff, I can recommend Millionaires Express, Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon, Eastern Condors, Close Encounters Of The Spooky Kind and The Odd Couple if you're after some others.
Splink!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:48 pm

felgekarp wrote:Yeah I know what you mean there, I picked up a few of Sammos films when Hong Kong Legends were releasing them, he's done some quality stuff, I can recommend Millionaires Express, Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon, Eastern Condors, Close Encounters Of The Spooky Kind and The Odd Couple if you're after some others.
Thanks, I've got Spooky Encounters and Eastern Condors already. I think I've seen Millionaire's Express but I can barely remember it. The Odd Couple is one I'll keep a look out for too, oddly I don't even remember that being released by HKL but as I say I guess my attention was elsewhere at the time.

Sammo's fighting and choreography is really top notch, but I think what puts me off some of his films is his general directing, I find the films he's directed incredibly broad and cheesy, more so than even Jackie's. I know they're mostly comedies but watching things like Mr Nice Guy you wonder how anyone could allow that acting to make it into the final film.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Found myself watching Seagal's Out For Justice a few nights back. Snuck in to see this at the pictures back in 1991 (when I was 16) and absolutely loved it, it was proper bone-crunching savagery, one of the best ass-kicking films I'd ever seen!

Watching it again...it's dated quite badly (at points) but is still a very brutal film, though the plot is ruddy ludicrous. Worst bit is Seagal in that vest n' beret combination, it just looks so baaaaad, embarrassingly so, the man's level of vanity at the time must've been ridiculously high, he looks *outstandingly* twuntish in such garb.

Still a fun movie, though, and still ass-kicking. ;)