Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:01 pm

LoungeVamp wrote:Um... does Big Trouble in Little China count? I loved that film 8)
I'd get my coat if I was you. :lol:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:01 pm

I bought 'The Iceman Cometh' from Tesco the other day, expecting a good martial arts flick.

Turns out it is a Honk Kong version of the 'historical man gets frozen in ice, defrosted in 20th century'. A bit like California Man with Brendan Fraser.

Has the worst ever voice acting for the english dub.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:13 pm

LoungeVamp wrote:Um... does Big Trouble in Little China count? I loved that film 8)
It does count as a martial art action movie, as long Kurt Russell understand what Kung Fu is all about. :lol:

Also I should not forget the scene when one of the baddie inflated so much that he blew himself up!! :lol:

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:20 pm

SirClive wrote:I bought 'The Iceman Cometh' from Tesco the other day, expecting a good martial arts flick.

Turns out it is a Honk Kong version of the 'historical man gets frozen in ice, defrosted in 20th century'. A bit like California Man with Brendan Fraser.

English dubbing is so crap. I just can't stand those lame cheesy dialogues, which was acted out by some amateur voice actors/actresses. It's absolutely diabolical!!

Better off watching it in the original language with English subtitles.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Tapey297 wrote:Ong Bak is superb but the best Martial arts movies are:

Iron Monkey
Once upon a time in china and
Once upon a time in china 2

Iron monkey is a little silly in places but the other two happen to have quite decent plots too.
Iron Monkey was probably Donnie Yen's best film he'd starred in.

The fight sequence between him and Jet Li from Once Upon A Time In China II was amazingly superb. Just how I like it - very quick and well choreographed. :)

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:52 am

thl wrote:
SirClive wrote:I bought 'The Iceman Cometh' from Tesco the other day, expecting a good martial arts flick.

English dubbing is so crap. I just can't stand those lame cheesy dialogues, which was acted out by some amateur voice actors/actresses. It's absolutely diabolical!!

Some dubbing can be done very well. the original language is always going to be better but CTHD was good and when they put money into dubbing like with the Ghibli animations it is usually top notch.

But this was bad choice of voices, badly timed and most of all badly acted by the voice doubles. Steer clear if you are tempted by the cheap price in tesco.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:21 am

I tried to Iron a Monkey once. It bit me and I spent three weeks in a hospital. :(
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:52 pm

Jet Li's The Legend Of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 are amazing, shame that some of the stuff he's made in the US has been terrible...

ToxieDogg

Re:

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:54 pm

thl wrote:

The Monkey TV series would lose a lot of it's comedy value without the cheesy English dub. There's a place for it if it's done properly

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:31 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Jet Li's The Legend Of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 are amazing, shame that some of the stuff he's made in the US has been terrible...
Another Jet Li movies to look out for is Fist of Legends.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
thl wrote:

The Monkey TV series would lose a lot of it's comedy value without the cheesy English dub. There's a place for it if it's done properly
I actually seen the Hong Kong movie based on this very popular Chinese myth. It's titled A Chinese Odyssey Part I & II, in which it starred Stephen Chow.

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:28 am

I vaguely remembered seeing a crazy Japanese martial arts/prison movie years ago called Riki-Oh. I found it on DVD recently (under the title The Story of Ricky) and I have to say that it is one of the most enjoyable martial arts movies I've ever seen. The only way that I can describe it is a combination of The Shawshank Redemption and Mortal Kombat (with a bit of Evil Dead 2 in there as well)! If you've not seen it, find it now! :D

In fact, click here for a trailer. Be warned, it's very gory and is not suitable for those of a sensitive disposition!

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:03 pm

Two of the most unintentionally funny martial arts films I remember watching growing up were 'Black Belt Jones' starring Jim Kelly and the diabolical 'The Man from Hong Kong' . This was filmed partly in Australia and starred the/one of the original Bonds - George Lazenby.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:09 pm

What is the Jackie Chan film that was done in Australia? I only lasted about 15 minutes and turned it off.

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Was it 'Mr. Nice Guy'? I can't recall seeing it though - but thought I read something in the papers when it was being filmed around Melbourne - possibly?