Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:54 pm

Enter The Dragon is the greatest martial arts film ever! I remember returning home from the video shop with it & watching it on my mate Boothy's Betamax & can safely say that we were totally mesmerised! Since then, which was around 1980 i have watched it countless times & still enjoy it to this day. I even took up Karate (as i'm sure many others have) due to the impact that it had on me as a ten year old. Everything about the film is quality (except maybe where Mr Lee jumps backwards up into a tree) & Jim (70's) Kelly is absolutely superb. The Way Of The Dragon is also fantastic.

bosher

Post by bosher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:37 pm

MikeHive wrote:
fordie020376 wrote:ENTER THE DRAGON is simply the greatest maertial arts movies
I'd have to brave shouts of heresy there and say I disagree with you. Oh it was good, sure, and Bruce Lee is still the grand master of kung fu films as you say, but I don't think ETD is the best kung fu movie ever made by any means.
bosher wrote:has anybody else seen undefeatable??? its class
Undefeatable? No.. who's in it?
dom niam is in it check out his myspace, a woman called cythnia rockroth (i think??) and a bloke called john miller II. go on you tube an type in undefeatable, its honestly one of the worst films ever made. its tht crap its funny!! the fight scenes are the best!!
davey bosher says relax!

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Hmm... Didn't somebody link to that on YouTube already?

*EDIT*
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 0&start=69

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:24 pm

my top choppy Socky movies:

Enter The Dragon
Way Of The Dragon
Fist Of Fury (an absolute classic)
The Big Boss
(list doesnt include Game of death as, technically, its not Bruce Lee. Well, it is and it isnt. the Last thirty minutes is but the first hour and a bit isnt and you can tell when they put his face over a stunt doubles face. you can see wheere they cut it out!!!, so doesn't count.)
Delta force (chuck norris kicks ass, too. AND it does qualify as he kicks Robert Forster's arse in the last half hour)
The Octagon
A Force Of One
An Eye For An Eye (nice Chuck Norris Revenge flick)
Lone Wolf McQuaid (come on, he squares up with david Carradine, for chuffs sake! a Chuck classic, as well!)
Police Story
Police Story 2
Supercop
Ong-Bak (top notch)
under Siege 2
Mercinary For Justice (Seagal straight to dvd release but is not bad. guns and fistcuffs. nice combo.)
Shaolin Soccer
the Protector (Jackie Chan classic)
Rush Hour
Rush Hour 2
Jackie Chan's First Strike
and...im going to ad this for novelty value and because its quite simply brilliant...Big trouble In Little China. one of Kurt Russell's best
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:45 am

I'll stick my favourites list on as well then.

Police Story
Police Story 2
Drunken Master
Snake In The Eagles Shadow
Armour Of God
Iron Fisted Monk
One Armed Boxer - a true classic :D
Zu Warriors
Mr Vampire
Prodigal Son
Fearless

Has anybody seen Dragon Tiger Gate yet, I just wondered if it was worth checking out?
Splink!

honglong1976

Post by honglong1976 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:10 pm

I love the martial arts film of the 70's/80's. To me they are still the best.

Enter the Dragon - WOW

this film blew me away, was the first film i bought on DVD and got me hooked on martial arts. I did Judo and Taekwondo when I was younger and now I have started Taekwondo again.

Its not Jeet Kune Do or Kung FU but its good enough for me :)

Early Jackie chan films, snake in the eagles shadow is great. If you have ever done patterns in martial arts you'll really appreciate jackie chans work here.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:05 am

felgekarp wrote:Has anybody seen Dragon Tiger Gate yet, I just wondered if it was worth checking out?
Haven't seen it, but I've watched New Dragon Gate Inn.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:16 am

thl wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Has anybody seen Dragon Tiger Gate yet, I just wondered if it was worth checking out?
I've not really been fussed about that one, what did you reckon to it?
Splink!

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:32 am

felgekarp wrote:
thl wrote:
I've not really been fussed about that one, what did you reckon to it?
New Dragon Gate Inn looks slightly spectacular with well choreographed fight sequence. Anyone familar with sword-play action?

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:47 am

Enter the Dragon is the only one i own on DVD apart from Kill Bill Vol1 and 2 ( Especially Vol 1 )

Nobody else has mentioned Kill Bill.. It is a martial arts film in my opinion.

RIK

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:47 am

Anyone seen The Black Mask?

Jet Li film, enjoyed it, worthy of a punt imho.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:34 pm

KILL BILL vol.1 was excellent.

Vol.2 was pap! i paid £18 when it first came out (before id even seen it!). i never felt so ripped off in my life! the only best aparts was in the coffin and the 'eye-see-you' move with daryl hannah
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:28 am

Finally saw Drunken Master 2 last night, I thought there were some fantastic fight scenes in it and it was only let down by the dodgy subtitles, even a badly dubbed version wouldn't have been as bad as the subtitles were.
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:10 pm

felgekarp wrote:Finally saw Drunken Master 2 last night, I thought there were some fantastic fight scenes in it and it was only let down by the dodgy subtitles, even a badly dubbed version wouldn't have been as bad as the subtitles were.
most of the martial arts movies from hong kong in the seventies had really bad dubbing. mind you, saying that, ONG BAK was really really bad for dubbing! it made me laugh!! the actual martial arts sequences though are totally mind blowing. every single punch and kick is real

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Finally saw Drunken Master 2 last night, I thought there were some fantastic fight scenes in it and it was only let down by the dodgy subtitles, even a badly dubbed version wouldn't have been as bad as the subtitles were.
most of the martial arts movies from hong kong in the seventies had really bad dubbing. mind you, saying that, ONG BAK was really really bad for dubbing! it made me laugh!! the actual martial arts sequences though are totally mind blowing. every single punch and kick is real
For God's sake boys, STOP WATCHING FILMS THAT ARE DUBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you not read?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik