Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

1500graham

Re: Martial art movies

Post by 1500graham » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 pm

[quote="theantmeister"]I grew up with films like Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Nico (Above the law).

Bloodsport is probably the perfect martial arts film and provided the template for Mortal Kombat and most 3D brawlers. Van Damme is awesome in it, but the whole cast is excellent. The combat is fantastic too. I wonder if UFC explicitly bans dim mak in the rules :D

The kickboxer series is pretty good too. Tong Po has to be the most awesome opponent ever in any of these films (he would kick Chuck Norris' ass). That scene where he's kicking that concrete pillar - that's badass! The series sucked after Van Damme left and the third film is so hilariously bad it is actually worth watching. They even managed to censored up Tong Po.

Nico (which is called "Above the law" according to IMDB) is Segal's best film. It is incredible that a man who moves so, erm, economically can cause so much damage. Segal is great in this film, which he wrote himself.

My favourite martial arts films these days are the Stephen Chow ones. I discovered him by accident. We went to go see Batman Begins (I think) and it was mid-summer and the airconditioning in that screen had blown. So we took a vote and ended up watching Kung fu hussle. Holy censored, what a film! The action and effects are amazing, but the film is so censored hilarious. I laughed so hard watching that film. I since discovered the Shaolin series and they're all brilliant too. If you haven't seen Kung fu hussle, you have to check it out![/quote]

Nobody kicks Chuck's arse. Nobody.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 am

shiftytigger wrote: As for dated or cheesy stuff - Showdown in Little Tokyo is still a firm favourite - though very dated. Ninja Terminator gets extra credit for being one of the only subbed or dubbed films to make me cry with laughter at the awful quality.
Ninja Terminator was indeed awful as were most of the ninja films released around that time especially those starring Richard Harrison :shock:

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:46 pm

i picked up shogun assassin the other week,apparently banned for many years.7.3 on imdb so could be good,i don't know how high up the to watch pile to put it anyone seen it?
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Havent read all the thread so apologies if this has been mentioned. But I remember the Legend of the 7 golden Vampires to be really good, iirc I think Peter Cushing stars in it. Some good fight scenes and different enough to be well worth a watch!

As for Bloodsport, I loved it back in the day and also grew up with it and the likes of Kickboxer. But I watched it again by chance recently. Lets just say the years have not been kind, not at all. A proper cheese fest :lol: Still some good bits but overall, comical.

Another one I used to love but havent seen for years is No Retreat, No Surrender. Starring Van Damme as a bad guy in one of his early roles. This was poorly done back then, but still great to watch. God knows what it would be like now.

Anyone remember The Last Dragon? Cant remember the plot anymore but it involved the characters glowing while they fought.

Overall, I dont think Enter the Dragon will ever be bettered, it still looks good now, especially compared to the 80's and early 90's stuff. Not bad considering it came out in 1973.

"Bull Sh!t Mr Han man"

Eat your nans pants

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 am

crusto wrote:Havent read all the thread so apologies if this has been mentioned. But I remember the Legend of the 7 golden Vampires to be really good, iirc I think Peter Cushing stars in it. Some good fight scenes and different enough to be well worth a watch!

As for Bloodsport, I loved it back in the day and also grew up with it and the likes of Kickboxer. But I watched it again by chance recently. Lets just say the years have not been kind, not at all. A proper cheese fest :lol: Still some good bits but overall, comical.

Another one I used to love but havent seen for years is No Retreat, No Surrender. Starring Van Damme as a bad guy in one of his early roles. This was poorly done back then, but still great to watch. God knows what it would be like now.

Anyone remember The Last Dragon? Cant remember the plot anymore but it involved the characters glowing while they fought.

Overall, I dont think Enter the Dragon will ever be bettered, it still looks good now, especially compared to the 80's and early 90's stuff. Not bad considering it came out in 1973.

"Bull Sh!t Mr Han man"
LOL, I don't remember much about The Last Dragon, but I do remember the glowing and the terrible theme tune :lol:

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="theantmeister"][quote="crusto"]Havent read all the thread so apologies if this has been mentioned. But I remember the Legend of the 7 golden Vampires to be really good, iirc I think Peter Cushing stars in it. Some good fight scenes and different enough to be well worth a watch!

"Bull Sh!t Mr Han man"[/quote]
LOL, I don't remember much about The Last Dragon, but I do remember the glowing and the terrible theme tune :lol:[/quote]

I agree with everything above apart from the theme tune to TLD being terrible. The theme tune is pure quality!
'Am i the meanest?' 'Am i the prettiest?' 'Am i the baddest mofo low down around this town?'
Awesome!!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 am

I remember The Last Dragon well, In fact I have the Region 1 DVD sat infront of me now.

The write up on the dvd says: Martial arts student Leroy Green (Taimak) is on a quest to obtain the elusive all-powerful force known as "The Glow". Along the way he must battle the evil, self-proclaimed Shogun of Harlem - A kung fu warrior also known as Sho'nuff (Julius J. Carry iii) - and rescue a beautiful singer (Prince protegee Vanity) from an obsessed promoter.

Combining pulsating music, cutting edge dancing and the best in non-stop action, Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon is kickin' good fun featuring an amazing Motown soundtrack including music by Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Vanity and DeBarge performing their smash hit 'Rhythm Of The Night'.

Very enjoyable movie and a fact you may not know is that in the song 'Sexy and I know it' The line 'Like Bruce Leroy, I got the glow' comes from the main plot of this movie as the lead character is known as Bruce Leroy and unsurprisingly at the end of the movie obtains the glow.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 am

It's Martial Arts week starting on Film Four tonight. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow is the only "retro" film but it's a good'un. From what I remember Shijuku Incident isn't much of a Martial Arts film though.

From the Film Four website:

Thursday 20 September
Ip Man, 9pm

The first biopic of the first public teacher of the Chinese martial art wing chun. Wilson Yip (Dragon Tiger Gate) directs, and Donnie Yen (Hero, Seven Swords) star.
Ip Man 2, 11.05pm

Part two of Wilson Yip's biopic centres on Ip Man's migration to Hong Kong in 1949 as he attempts to propagate his discipline of wing chun martial arts.

Friday 21 September
Shinjuku Incident, 11.45pm

Jackie Chan plays a down-on-his-luck Chinese immigrant worker in Japan who becomes embroiled in the dark and dangerous world of the yakuza while searching for his missing girlfriend.

Saturday 22 September
Flash Point, 12.35am

Martial arts star Donnie Yen plays a maverick cop out to take down a gang of Vietnamese criminals in this Hong Kong action thriller from director Wilson Yip.

Sunday 23 September
Snake In The Eagle's Shadow, 11.05pm

The 1978 feature debut of prolific martial arts movie director Yuen Woo-ping, starring a young Jackie Chan as a school janitor turned kung fu fighting machine.

Monday 24 September
Chocolate, 11.25pm

In Prachya Pinkaew's third feature, an autistic girl goes on a Bruce Lee-inspired rampage to collect her mother's old debts.

Tuesday 25 September
Detective Dee And The Mystery Of The Phantom Flame, 10.50pm

He makes Sherlock Holmes look like an amateur... Andy Lau stars, as mystery and martial arts combine to gripping effect in this period epic from Hark Tsui.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

thl

Post by thl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:07 pm

F-zero

Post by F-zero » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 am

Awesome thread, good to see there's still plenty of HK film fans out there.

I'll just throw in another few films that i didn't see, both from Donnie Yen.
Mismatched Couples & Flash Point.

Mismatched Couples is one of Donnies earlier efforts and is a bit quirky but if you like 80's Hk Cinema its well worth checking out.
Flash Point is more modern but has great action and a good musical score.

Both worth watch.
I'd be interested to see what you's think.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:12 am

thl wrote:Donnie Yen interview on this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19085830
Cheers for the link. Refreshing to hear Donnie Yen isn't desperate to crack America for the sake of it.

He really is a suberb talent, and looks fantastic for his age.
F-zero wrote:Awesome thread, good to see there's still plenty of HK film fans out there.

I'll just throw in another few films that i didn't see, both from Donnie Yen.
Mismatched Couples & Flash Point.

Mismatched Couples is one of Donnies earlier efforts and is a bit quirky but if you like 80's Hk Cinema its well worth checking out.
Flash Point is more modern but has great action and a good musical score.

Both worth watch.
I'd be interested to see what you's think.
Yep, Flashpoint is very good, haven't had the chance to see Mismatched Couples but would happily give it a go. Same goes for the Tiger Cage movies, I've yet to see them aswell.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

CranberrySeeder

Post by CranberrySeeder » Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 am

Above the Law is NOT Seagal's best movie. What about Under Siege, On Deadly Ground and Deadly Crossing - the one that just came out at Redbox. They're all equally if not more awesome than Above the Law, which is also awesome in its own right.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

I've watched countless martial arts films, ranging from the popular movies of Bruce Lee, right down to the outright bizarre low budget efforts that tried to capitalise on his popularity following his demise. After watching all of Bruce Lee's films, I started watching some of the material done by the “clones” who came after him and adopted slightly modified versions of his name (Bruce Li, Bruce Le, Dragon Lee etc). Some of the films by these guys are actually quite good, but some especially those by Bruce Le are absolutely garbage, aside from their unintentional comedy qualities. This one is particularly whacky -

Bruce Le – Exploitation at its finest

Of all the rip off merchants though, I think Dragon Lee is my favourite (though this goes against popular opinion). A few years ago I hit amazon pretty hard searching out as many of Dragon Lee's films as I could. Dragon Lee vs 5 Brothers, Big Boss II and of course Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger were some of my favourite flicks from this Korean, taekwondo trained Lee Clone. Hwang Jang Lee is a pretty cool baddie and adversary to Dragon Lee in this one, too -

One of Dragon Lee's finest (and most bizarre) entries into the genre

In more recent years, I was thoroughly blown away by Donnie Yen's outstanding performances as Ip Man in the two Ip Man films. The first Ip Man may actually be my favourite martial arts film of all time. Pretty impressive, especially when you consider just how many of these films that I've seen, and how I also have a massive bias towards the kung-fu flicks of the 70's and 80's!
And this bird you'll never change...

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:20 pm

I too was completely blown away by the recent Ip Man films. Not only is Donnie Yen a fantastic martial artist but he comes across very charismatic in his films too, he has a presence not dissimilar to Bruce Lee. While I can remember hiring loads of dodgy kung Fu and action films from our local video shop (or even better, van to save me walking to the shop!) but I never got into the Ninja craze of the 80’s. Check out shitcase cinema on YouTube for some great reviews on these ‘forgotten classics’

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Check out this scene for the ultimate martial arts showdown. Best use of springboards ever! Bonus points if you can work out what music they have ripped off too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaWJTOlca4