Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: Martial art movies

Post by pratty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:36 am

c0nfu53d wrote:I'll have to checkout the MTV dub sometime as I'm a big hip hop fan - Ive only seen the Prem Asia dub myself.

For me City Hunter is awesome because it's enjoyable on so many levels. The first time i saw it I laughed so hard I had to pause film. Humor aside the fights are amazing and very varied thanks to the mixture of western/eastern actors. The UK's Gary Daniels and Austrailian Richard Norton in particular are amazing Richard Norton almost out fights jackie Chan at the end which is an achievement in it's self. Add to this the paradies (Bruce Lee and SFII) plus the super hot acteresses and you have a film that will never get old.

If you want to see a JC film that stands out from the others, have you see Georgeous? I get the feeling JC had alot of input into that films plot and structure. As a result it has a very different feel while keeping standard Chan feel to it.
Yeah I've seen Gorgeous, it's pretty good. I think Jackie had been dying to put a bit more romance into his movies.

Richard Norton is very good, his acting is quite hammy but he's a good screen fighter and an excellent foil for the likes of Jackie Chan and Sammo.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:28 am

I picked up the Aces Go Places/Mad Mission box set the other day, Bey Logan mentions them a bit in his commentaries for the Lucky Stars films so I thought I'd check them out.
Splink!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 pm

felgekarp wrote:I picked up the Aces Go Places/Mad Mission box set the other day, Bey Logan mentions them a bit in his commentaries for the Lucky Stars films so I thought I'd check them out.
Let us know what it's like. I've only seen one Sam Hui film which was Private Eyes, I remember really enjoying it.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:07 am

This thread might help me track down a film my parents rented for me in the 80s!

My memory is very hazy but here goes:

The main guy wears an all white ninja suit.
He has to rescue a girl from a big house.
The finale see's him climbing up to said house through gardens, fighting loads of people as he goes.
And the final fight he throws his sword behind him and it kills the main bad guy.

I know ive just described probably 50 films from that era but I really want to track it down.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

jacobSander

Post by jacobSander » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 am

STranger81 wrote: My memory is very hazy but here goes:

The finale see's him climbing up to said house through gardens, fighting loads of people as he goes.
And the final fight he throws his sword behind him and it kills the main bad guy.

I know ive just described probably 50 films from that era but I really want to track it down.
wohh! That's a little bit hard to track down man. I think no one knows more than someone who lives more than a hundred years ago.lol
There are also occasions where you take control of kaede, a female ninja, with ninja sword who has joined you in your quest.
-Ninja Man-

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:42 pm

STranger81 wrote:This thread might help me track down a film my parents rented for me in the 80s!

Can't say it rings a bell but could it be White Phantom????

That is the first ninja movie that springs to mind where the lead character wears an all white suit.

jacobSander

Post by jacobSander » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:25 am

Hmmm. That seems to be a wild guess.

Is it the "White Ninja"? lol. Is there any Vid that is titled with this?

Well that was just a wild guess.
There are also occasions where you take control of kaede, a female ninja, with ninja sword who has joined you in your quest.
-Ninja Man-

OldSkool

Post by OldSkool » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:37 am

This film sounds vaguely familiar to me too. But, the main guy is like in his late teens right? (Or at least he is meant to be, if its 80's then he was probably in his early 30's playing an 18 year old).

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:40 pm

STranger81 wrote:This thread might help me track down a film my parents rented for me in the 80s!

When you talk about ninja movies with white suited ninjas, this sprang to mind.

jacobSander

Post by jacobSander » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:13 am

Wow. Is that jet li or another guy that looks like him?
His eyes seems to be familiar to me.
-Ninja Man-

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:53 pm

thl wrote:I start watching martial art movies around the late 80s. Actors/actresses I remembered are Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh and Sammo Hung. They're all big name stars that dominated the Hong Kong movie industries, as well in Asia and the rest of the world.

The film that's likely to be remembered is Enter the Dragon. It's still regarded as a classic thanks to the impact that Bruce Lee brought and created in front of the cameras. Ataaaaah!!
Bruce Lee films are epic, but they were horrible with lip syncing, a trait most Hong Kong films made back then did a lot.

Wasn't Enter the Dragon the only one without this due to Hollywood? This may explain why it's more fondly remembered.

Give me The Big Boss any day!

Oh and I like Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story too...and the game!

Michelle Yeoh? Is she the one in Enter the Dragon who kills herself (as Bruce Lee's character's sister?) I may look her up and see what she did.

Damn you OP, now I want to watch The Big Boss again!?! :(
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Gotta admit, I prefer The Big Boss too. It was Bruce's best movie. And Michelle Yeoh is the lady in the 007 movie, tomorrow never dies and a load of HK movies.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:40 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Gotta admit, I prefer The Big Boss too. It was Bruce's best movie. And Michelle Yeoh is the lady in the 007 movie, tomorrow never dies and a load of HK movies.
The Big Boss is good, no doubt about that, but I think imho though, that Enter The Dragon is that bit better. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because the final fight against Han in the Room of Mirrors, or John Saxon's fight against Bolo that clinches it. It might even be the story (Bruce Lee as a spy? Well, why not?), I just can't put my finger on it. But, saying that, I love all Bruce Lee's movies (apart from the first hour of Game of Death), and Jackie Chan, with his comedy Kung Fu.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:34 am

The only way to watch and fully appreciate Game Of Death is if you get the 2 disc HKL platinum version and watch the 45 or so minutes that was cut out. Absolutely brilliant and shows what a fantastic film this would have been if it had been fully completed.

thl

Re: Martial arts films

Post by thl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Starlight wrote:Michelle Yeoh? Is she the one in Enter the Dragon who kills herself (as Bruce Lee's character's sister?) I may look her up and see what she did.
It was Angela Mao, who also starred along with Sammo Hung in Hapkido.
c0nfu53d wrote:And Michelle Yeoh is the lady in the 007 movie, tomorrow never dies and a load of HK movies.
That's right as she starred in Yes, Madam!, Royal Warriors, and Magnificent Warriors. She also co-starred with Jackie Chan in Police Story 3: Supercop; Jet Li in Tai Chi Master; and Donnie Yen in Wing Chun.