Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:44 pm

Enter the Dragon is a bloody good album too...

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:01 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Finally saw Drunken Master 2 last night, I thought there were some fantastic fight scenes in it and it was only let down by the dodgy subtitles, even a badly dubbed version wouldn't have been as bad as the subtitles were.
most of the martial arts movies from hong kong in the seventies had really bad dubbing. mind you, saying that, ONG BAK was really really bad for dubbing! it made me laugh!! the actual martial arts sequences though are totally mind blowing. every single punch and kick is real
For God's sake boys, STOP WATCHING FILMS THAT ARE DUBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you not read?
But what I was saying was the subtitles on Drunken Master 2 were very poorly done and even a badly dubbed version would have been better. Can you not read? :wink:
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:39 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Finally saw Drunken Master 2 last night, I thought there were some fantastic fight scenes in it and it was only let down by the dodgy subtitles, even a badly dubbed version wouldn't have been as bad as the subtitles were.
most of the martial arts movies from hong kong in the seventies had really bad dubbing. mind you, saying that, ONG BAK was really really bad for dubbing! it made me laugh!! the actual martial arts sequences though are totally mind blowing. every single punch and kick is real
For God's sake boys, STOP WATCHING FILMS THAT ARE DUBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you not read?
reading? whats that? i like to look at the purdy pictures :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

John Paulie

Post by John Paulie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:05 am

I love martial arts movies. I like the old skool kung fu films the most though. The Shaw Bros. films are my favorite. I have a censored load of their DVDs. I also have a huge library of kung fu movies from the 70's, 80's and 90's. There's too many to list, so I'll just list a few of my favorites (in no particular order).

36th Chamber of Shaolin (aka Master Killer)
Return to the 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Legendary Weapons of China
Martial Cub
Shaolin Martial Arts
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Heroes of the East
Dirty Ho
Challenge of the Masters
Chinatown Kid
5 Deadly Venoms
My Young Auntie
Executioners from Shaolin
Clan of the White Lotus
Shaolin Mantis
Chinese Super Ninja
Martial Arts of Shaolin (Shaolin Temple III)
3 Evil Masters

Shaolin vs Lama
The Victim
Daggers 8
The Prodigal Son
7 Grandmasters
Warriors Two
The Loot
The Invincible Armour
Shaolin & WuTang
Mystery of Chess Boxing
Fearless Dragons
Ninja in the Dragon's Den
World of Drunken Master
Shaolin Temple
Game of Death II
Ninja vs Shaolin Guard
The Secret Rivals (1 & 2)
The Buddhist Fist
Rebellious Reign
Pedicab Driver

...and many more.

thl

Re: Martial art movies

Post by thl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Thought I might have to dig this thread out as I came across someone (who we might be familar with) reviewing some martial arts films:

The Street Fighter/Down To Hell
Drive/Fist Of Fury II

marius

Post by marius » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 am

Bloodsport is still my favourite martial arts movie :)

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:49 pm

This may be a sin, but never really got in to the Bruce Lee movies, always like Van Damme or Mr Chan personally, Ong Bak is up there too!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:20 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:This may be a sin, but never really got in to the Bruce Lee movies, always like Van Damme or Mr Chan personally, Ong Bak is up there too!
'Tis a sin of the highest order, sir. Kudos on liking Mr. Chan and Mr. Van Damme, though.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:20 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:This may be a sin, but never really got in to the Bruce Lee movies, always like Van Damme or Mr Chan personally, Ong Bak is up there too!
'Tis a sin of the highest order, sir. Kudos on liking Mr. Chan and Mr. Van Damme, though.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:19 pm

Right, another simply cool martial arts film (also by the makers of Ong Bak / The Warrior King), is :

And here is one of my fave fight scenes in the whole film, courtesy of youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqXReEX ... re=related

Lacks a decent plot, but then that's not what the film is for, it's more a showcase of talent for it's main star, Yanin "Jeeja" Vismistananda
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

retro-cube

Post by retro-cube » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:22 am

i like the american ninja films. in those years i also practiced karate so it really catched my eyes. anyway i didnt succeded in doing the tricks they show in the movies :)

and also the ninja turtles where cool, go donatelo :)
you put the lime in a coconut and call me in the morning

prinnysquad

Re:

Post by prinnysquad » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 am

John Paulie wrote:I love martial arts movies. I like the old skool kung fu films the most though. The Shaw Bros. films are my favorite. I have a censored load of their DVDs. I also have a huge library of kung fu movies from the 70's, 80's and 90's. There's too many to list, so I'll just list a few of my favorites (in no particular order).

36th Chamber of Shaolin (aka Master Killer)
Return to the 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Legendary Weapons of China
Martial Cub
Shaolin Martial Arts
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Heroes of the East

Dirty Ho
Challenge of the Masters
Chinatown Kid
5 Deadly Venoms
My Young Auntie
Executioners from Shaolin
Clan of the White Lotus
Shaolin Mantis
Chinese Super Ninja
Martial Arts of Shaolin (Shaolin Temple III)
3 Evil Masters

Shaolin vs Lama
The Victim
Daggers 8
The Prodigal Son
7 Grandmasters
Warriors Two
The Loot
The Invincible Armour
Shaolin & WuTang
Mystery of Chess Boxing
Fearless Dragons

Ninja in the Dragon's Den
World of Drunken Master
Shaolin Temple
Game of Death II
Ninja vs Shaolin Guard
The Secret Rivals (1 & 2)
The Buddhist Fist
Rebellious Reign

Pedicab Driver

...and many more.
That's a great list. I salute you sir. Especially the picks in bold (many others you've listed I haven't watched yet). I'll also throw in Duel of 7 Tigers, Blood Treasury Fight, Thundering Mantis, 18 Bronzemen, Born Invincible, Crippled Avengers, Hell's Windstaff, Legend of a Fighter, Shaolin Intruders, Massacre Survivor, Hitman in the Hand of Buddha, Shaolin Temple Strikes Back, Five Superfighters, Magnificent Butcher, Snuff Bottle Connection and The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:27 pm

since this thread has been resurrected it gives me the chance to possibly find the name of an old kung fu/shaolin film i'd love to know the name of.

so here's my recollection of the film plot:

a village is attacked by bandits one of the villagers goes to a shaolin temple to learn kung fu so he can defend the village the next time they attack,when he asks at the temple they say they will only train him after he repairs their temple which needs some building work which he agrees to do.so he starts the work and the other shaolin monks train around him and he starts copying them using his building materials.
this goes on for something like 5 years and at the end he says he has finished so he can start learning kung fu,the monks refuse to train him and start to attack him,he fights his way out not realising he is using their own moves against them goes back to his village believing he has failed the bandits attack again and he kicks arse.

there are bound to be quite a few mistakes in my memory but it was a long time ago i watched it.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

prinnysquad

Post by prinnysquad » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 pm

The structure sounds similar to Return to the 36th Chamber, but the particulars sound somewhat different. If that's not the one, I'll have to do a bit more research.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 pm

prinnysquad wrote:The structure sounds similar to Return to the 36th Chamber, but the particulars sound somewhat different. If that's not the one, I'll have to do a bit more research.
from checking youtube that looks like the one,as i said it was a long time ago and i did get a lot wrong but there is a couple of key scenes that makes me confident your right i'll have to get a copy and confirm.thankyou i've been trying to find the name for an absolute age,ironically i recorded the 36th chamber and deciple of the 36th chamber off tv months ago hopiing one of those was right,little did i know i was so close thanks again :D
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"