Martial art movies

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Thu May 31, 2007 9:41 am

I've got a lot of time for Yuen Biao, he's very good. I believe that Jackie Chan is on record as saying that Biao is the better martial artist. That makes sense to me, as Jackie has always seemed more of the acrobat than the fighter.

Well worth tracking down "The Prodigal Son", it's directed by Sammo and he (Sammo) has a small part in it. The fight sequences are excellent and it's unexpectedly moving in places. :) Biao has one of his relatively few leading roles and is outstanding.

Dammit, I want to go home and watch these movies now!

:D

How about a few suggestions for the most awful martial arts film. The theatrical release of 'Game of Death', as mentioned above, is pretty ropey for the most part. I would also suggest '5 Lucky Stars' as, despite having Hung, Chan and Biao in it, it manages to be unfunny and painful almost all the way through. For the US films, wow, where to start? Mortal Kombat? Street Fighter :evil: ? American Ninja? Gymkata? Any more?
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu May 31, 2007 10:05 am

jimbobmitch wrote:I've got a lot of time for Yuen Biao, he's very good. I believe that Jackie Chan is on record as saying that Biao is the better martial artist. That makes sense to me, as Jackie has always seemed more of the acrobat than the fighter.
Some of Jackie's early films show he's a pretty good martial artist, but he did seem to go off in the physical comedy side of things more. Yuen Biao is also awsome at the acrobatic stuff, he started in the industry doubling for stars doing the actobatics they couldn't do - he was a stunt double for Bruce Lee (he was also one of the "fakes" used to finish Game of Death).

Watching Knockabout the other day, I thought he looked a lot like Bruce Lee at times, he had that same awsome phsyique.

jimbobmitch wrote:Well worth tracking down "The Prodigal Son", it's directed by Sammo and he (Sammo) has a small part in it. The fight sequences are excellent and it's unexpectedly moving in places. :) Biao has one of his relatively few leading roles and is outstanding.

Prodigal Son is one of my favourites, it's a shame Biao didn't get many more roles like this, rather than the young sidekick type roles.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu May 31, 2007 10:16 am

jimbobmitch wrote:I've got a lot of time for Yuen Biao, he's very good. I believe that Jackie Chan is on record as saying that Biao is the better martial artist. That makes sense to me, as Jackie has always seemed more of the acrobat than the fighter.

Well worth tracking down "The Prodigal Son", it's directed by Sammo and he (Sammo) has a small part in it. The fight sequences are excellent and it's unexpectedly moving in places. :) Biao has one of his relatively few leading roles and is outstanding.

How about a few suggestions for the most awful martial arts film. The theatrical release of 'Game of Death', as mentioned above, is pretty ropey for the most part. I would also suggest '5 Lucky Stars' as, despite having Hung, Chan and Biao in it, it manages to be unfunny and painful almost all the way through. For the US films, wow, where to start? Mortal Kombat? Street Fighter :evil: ? American Ninja? Gymkata? Any more?
I always thought it was the other way round with Yuen Biao being the more acrobatic of the trio, Sammo Hung being the power house and Jackie Chan being in between.

I remember seeing Prodigal Son on channel 4 years ago and not being impressed by it but I got it on dvd a while back and It is a very good film. Has anybody seen Dreadnaught, that's supposed to be another of his decent films.

The Lucky Stars films are kind of ok being high on comedy and low on martial arts but The Medalion is one of the worst I've seen for a long time.
Splink!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu May 31, 2007 11:34 am

For Game Of Death, apart from the 3 genuine proper Bruce Lee fight scenes at the end and also the deleted Green House fight scene that was specially directed by Sammo Hung, the rest of Game Of Death that was directed by Robert Clouse has got to be one of the worst Martial Art films I have seen that tries to con the audience into believing that it is actually Bruce Lee throughout the film with poor results.

Tower of Death did a much better job and Tower of Death is one of my favourite martial art films.
Last edited by yethboth on Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thl

Post by thl » Thu May 31, 2007 11:44 am

felgekarp wrote:I always thought it was the other way round with Yuen Biao being the more acrobatic of the trio, Sammo Hung being the power house and Jackie Chan being in between.
I like it when those three starred in the film together. It very enjoyable. They brought up this incredible impact which was created by elements of slapstick comedy, fast-pace fight sequence and crazy stunts. Project A, Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever are the most memorable films of the lot that featured them. And not forgetting the Lucky Star series.

The title 'Dragons Forever' actually means a tribute to the three of them. After knowing each other for a long time since Peking Opera School, they would collaborate for the last time before going their seperate ways.

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Thu May 31, 2007 6:02 pm

Those old 80's Jackie/Sammo/Biao movies are some of my absolute favourite martial arts movies. Wheels on Meals is my favourite - that made me laugh so hard the first time I watched it, and Benny the Jet (a personal hero of mine) just looked SO cool in that final fight with Jackie :D

Watching Yuen Biao do the tornado kicks and flips over the moving jump-rope in Knockabout just flips my wig every time though... that guy is so talented it makes my eyes consplode. :o
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:28 am

yethboth wrote:My favourites are:

1. Game Of Death 2 aka Tower Of Death (Cartonese version)

2. City Hunter (Catonese version)

3. Naked Weapon ( Loads of nice lady assassins :wink: Maggie Q is my favourite)

4. The Big Boss (English dubbed version)

5. Eastern Condors (Catonese version)

6. New Dragon Gate Inn (Mandarin version - only version available)

7. Island Of Fire (Catonese version)

8. Drive (starring Mark Dacascos)

9. Crying Freeman (Live Action version starring Mark Dacascos)

10. No Retreat No Surrender 2

11. Brotherhood Of The Wolf (French Version)

12. Magnificent Warriors (Catonese Version)

13. Missing In Action 2: The Beginning

14. Enter The Dragon (Full Uncut Version)

15. Enter The Game Of Death (Starring Bruce Le and Bolo)

16. Fist Of Fury II (Starring Bruce Li)

17. Versus (Japanese Version)

Who here is a fan of Gary Daniels (I'm not talking about his great acting :lol: :lol: :lol: )

A few more added titles to my list.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:38 am

yethboth wrote:

Who here is a fan of Gary Daniels (I'm not talking about his great acting :lol: :lol: :lol: )

One more title to add on:

18: Bruce Lee, The Man, The Myth (Starring Bruce Li)

thl

Post by thl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:25 pm

yethboth wrote:Who here is a fan of Gary Daniels (I'm not talking about his great acting :lol: :lol: :lol: )
He also starred in the live version of Fist of the North Star.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:46 am

thl wrote:
yethboth wrote:Who here is a fan of Gary Daniels (I'm not talking about his great acting :lol: :lol: :lol: )
He also starred in the live version of Fist of the North Star.

Yep, if there ever was an award for the most wooden acting, he would probably win it. :lol:

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:44 am

Yep, if there ever was an award for the most wooden acting, he would probably win it. :D
Careful now, you can't say that whilst Chuck Norris is watching...

If you can see Chuck Norris, you are being watched.
If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only moments from death.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 am

jimbobmitch wrote:
Yep, if there ever was an award for the most wooden acting, he would probably win it. :D
Careful now, you can't say that whilst Chuck Norris is watching...

If you can see Chuck Norris, you are being watched.
If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only moments from death.

OK, I won't make fun of Gary Daniels too much considering the fact he is BRITISH :mrgreen: .

But I just can't help thinking of that scene in the film 'White Tiger' where Gary Daniels beats up a gang in a dark alley and grabs hold of one them and shouts in that person's earhole in a cockney accent 'What's my name? WHAT'S MY NAME?...............AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT' :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least Gary Daniels pulls a stunning lady in the film anyway. :wink: :D :wink:

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:14 am

British film martial artists are somewhat thin on the ground. Ray Park (Darth Maul) is very good, but he seems to have dropped off the map... :(

I watched 'Fearless' last night, or 'Jet Li's Fearless' as it insisted on calling itself. For a modern film, the dubbing was truly awful, so much so I almost thought it was a parody. To add insult to injury, it was also subtitled in English and the subtitles didn't match the dialogue! Arrgh :x :x :(

So I watched it on fast forward. It's not a particularly complex plot and is a very retro film - it could have been made almost exactly as it was 10 years ago. Once Upon a Time in China looks more recent in parts. Some of the fight scenes are very good and Li looks to be stretching himself, perhaps even showing off in parts, particularly with the weapon work - really good stuff in places. It has pretensions to match 'Hero' (one of my all-time favourties and Li's best work) and 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' but is nowhere near as good. Shame really. The wire work is obvious and tacky also.

One thing I did notice is that the 'takes' were longer than you often see in Li's work, which I consider to be the sign of a skilled choreographer and star working together well. I usually assume that the more cuts from camera shot to camera shot in a given fight scene, the shorter the choreography and usually the less good the combatants in it. I have a fair amount of respect, therefore, for the Matrix films as despite the semi-mystical nonsense and big robots, the fight scenes all had very long takes, not bad for a mostly non-martial artist cast. Tony Jaa (as mentioned earlier) is king of this at the moment. :D

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:56 am

yethboth wrote:
yethboth wrote:

One more title to add on:

18: Bruce Lee, The Man, The Myth (Starring Bruce Li)

Another title to add on:

19: Return Of The Street Fighter (Starring Sonny Chiba)

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:04 am

I own numbers 8, 11 and 14.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.