Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

bosher

Post by bosher » Thu May 24, 2007 12:45 pm

has anybody else seen undefeatable??? its class
davey bosher says relax!

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Thu May 24, 2007 7:29 pm

fordie020376 wrote:ENTER THE DRAGON is simply the greatest maertial arts movies
I'd have to brave shouts of heresy there and say I disagree with you. Oh it was good, sure, and Bruce Lee is still the grand master of kung fu films as you say, but I don't think ETD is the best kung fu movie ever made by any means.
bosher wrote:has anybody else seen undefeatable??? its class
Undefeatable? No.. who's in it?
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri May 25, 2007 4:49 am

MikeHive wrote:
fordie020376 wrote:ENTER THE DRAGON is simply the greatest maertial arts movies
I'd have to brave shouts of heresy there and say I disagree with you. Oh it was good, sure, and Bruce Lee is still the grand master of kung fu films as you say, but I don't think ETD is the best kung fu movie ever made by any means.
bosher wrote:has anybody else seen undefeatable??? its class
Undefeatable? No.. who's in it?
I have to say the fight seen between Lee and Kareem Abdul Jabaar is just an awesome spectacle to behold.

Apologies if I have got the wrong name, been a while since I saw it!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Fri May 25, 2007 9:31 am

I think the Lee/Jabbar fight is in 'Game of Death', which was only part filmed at the time of Lee's death. It's a great fight and it lifts what is otherwise an awful film! Lee himself is in only a handful of scenes with his role being playd by another actor (I use the term loosely) for the majority of the remainder. I've only seen it all the way through once but my recollection is vivid. :o

I watched 'Warrior King' with Tony Jaa last night so I thought maybe I'd share my impressions. Firstly, it's in the grand tradition of Martial Arts movies in that the plot is completely superflous and nonsensical :D other than that it's well shot and very well choreographed. One fight scene in particular is shot with a steadycam and lasts 4 minutes which must be a record. The film is worth seeing for this if nothing else.

I also enjoyed Jaa's Muay Thai style. As is well known, he doesn't pull his punches or use wire-work so if you saw it, it happened! The style seems to focus on getting in close and personal with your opponents and then breaking their legs/arms in very efficient fashion :shock: In one of those inevitable 'one man defeats an army' scenes he takes out one guy using just one leg and his knee. :D

Is there space in this thread for a side-discussion on styles of martial art used in these films? :D
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 am

jimbobmitch wrote:I also enjoyed Jaa's Muay Thai style. As is well known, he doesn't pull his punches or use wire-work so if you saw it, it happened! The style seems to focus on getting in close and personal with your opponents and then breaking their legs/arms in very efficient fashion :shock: In one of those inevitable 'one man defeats an army' scenes he takes out one guy using just one leg and his knee. :D

Is there space in this thread for a side-discussion on styles of martial art used in these films? :D
There's always room to talk about Muay Thai. :wink: The style looks devastating, and it's great to see it properly represented on screen (not Van Damme's Kickboxer rubbish).

Yeah, Warrior King was great, although I think I preferred Ong-Bak.
~Mike

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Fri May 25, 2007 11:33 am

One of the things I've always enjoyed about watching these movies is the different styles of combat used, and how they differ!

For example, Jaa's Muay Thai is, as I say, concentrated on getting in close and personal (though there are a few flying kicks/knees involved in getting there) and then bringing the pain.

Lee's Jeet Kun Do seems to focus on devasting single blows delivered from 'boxing' distance. As I recall in Way of The Dragon, Lee's style is described as 'Chinese Boxing' and reach seems to be important. That famous one inch punch is delivered at almost arms length.

To draw a third example, Jet Li's more elaborate wu-shu style has a lot more blocks and chops than Lee would have bothered with, followed up by a lightning fast sequence of blows. It also seems to lend itself to wire work more than the other two.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Jackie Chan in this context though - I don't see a specific style. Any insights anyone? :D
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri May 25, 2007 1:13 pm

What films can anyone recommend for fantastic Tae Kwon Do scenes?

The fight at the end of Drunken Master 2 with Jackie Chans real life bodyguard (Ken Lo) is just one of those "Jaw hits the floor" moments! So cool.

Has anyone here seen the film The Scorpion King? NOT the Mummy spin off with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?? It's on the Hong Kong Legends label.

Again, really poor plot, but it does have some really cool fight scenes, and the protaganist looks like he'd make a great "Lei Wulong" if there was ever a Tekken Live Action film - (which is still in development hell) :evil:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Sat May 26, 2007 5:31 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:What films can anyone recommend for fantastic Tae Kwon Do scenes?
Anything with Hwang Jang Lee - the original Drunken Master maybe. Also, maybe try the Black Sheep Affair... it's a bit wireworky and effects heavy and the story is pap, but it's Korean-made and features lots of TKD.
EvilArmourKing wrote:The fight at the end of Drunken Master 2 with Jackie Chans real life bodyguard (Ken Lo) is just one of those "Jaw hits the floor" moments! So cool.
Yeah! The first time I saw that scene I just couldn't believe it, I've never seen anyone kick like that guy! The first thing I said was, "... that's it. I'm learning to do that." :wink:
~Mike

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon May 28, 2007 5:01 am

yethboth wrote:My favourites are:

1. Game Of Death 2 aka Tower Of Death (Cartonese version)

2. City Hunter (Catonese version)

3. Naked Weapon ( Loads of nice lady assassins :wink: Maggie Q is my favourite)

4. The Big Boss (English dubbed version)

5. Eastern Condors (Catonese version)

6. New Dragon Gate Inn (Mandarin version - only version available)

7. Island Of Fire (Catonese version)

8. Drive (starring Mark Dacascos)

9. Crying Freeman (Live Action version starring Mark Dacascos)

10. No Retreat No Surrender 2

11. Brotherhood Of The Wolf (French Version)

12. Magnificent Warriors (Catonese Version)

13. Missing In Action 2: The Beginning

14. Enter The Dragon (Full Uncut Version)

Who here is a fan of Gary Daniels (I'm not talking about his great acting :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Just a few additional titles I forgot to add beforehand.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon May 28, 2007 7:10 pm

Does A Chinese Ghost Story classify as being martial arts?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue May 29, 2007 5:53 am

jimbobmitch wrote:I think the Lee/Jabbar fight is in 'Game of Death', which was only part filmed at the time of Lee's death. It's a great fight and it lifts what is otherwise an awful film! Lee himself is in only a handful of scenes with his role being playd by another actor (I use the term loosely) for the majority of the remainder. I've only seen it all the way through once but my recollection is vivid. :o
There where actually quite a few scenes filmed with Lee, they've appeared on a coupld of dvd's, there's at least 3 floors of fighting scenes, one with a guy with Nunchucks, one with a, I think he was a Judo expert and the fight with Jabbar.
Splink!

thl

Post by thl » Wed May 30, 2007 3:31 pm

felgekarp wrote:
jimbobmitch wrote:I think the Lee/Jabbar fight is in 'Game of Death', which was only part filmed at the time of Lee's death. It's a great fight and it lifts what is otherwise an awful film! Lee himself is in only a handful of scenes with his role being playd by another actor (I use the term loosely) for the majority of the remainder. I've only seen it all the way through once but my recollection is vivid. :o
There where actually quite a few scenes filmed with Lee, they've appeared on a coupld of dvd's, there's at least 3 floors of fighting scenes, one with a guy with Nunchucks, one with a, I think he was a Judo expert and the fight with Jabbar.
That's right. If you watch the documentry called Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey, it contains an original script of The Game of Death. It was written by Bruce Lee himself who also went on to produce and direct the film. Although the film was incompleted, this would have been another classic if Bruce was still alive.

The original storyline takes place in Korea. It's about a retired, undefeated martial artist known by the name of Hai Tien. When his brother and sister got kidnapped by the crime syndicate, Tien was left with no choice but to take part in the objective made by the gang boss. In order to see his brother and sister again, he must join a group of trained fighters to go and retrive the treasure. It was located at the the top of the pagoda which is guarded by five strong mercenaries.

First guardian (probably Whong In-sik) would be the taekwondo expert.

Second guardian (probably Taky Kimura, real life friend) use praying mantis style plus some elements of Chinese martial arts.

Dan Inosanto (real life friend of Bruce) was the guardian of the third floor. Trained in escrima (Filipino martial art style) which is very much weapon based where he used a kali to take out his opponent.

Ji Han-jae (black belt in Hapkido) was the guardian on the fourth floor. Used grappling and throwing style against his opponent.

And finally the top floor guarded by Kaeem Abdul Jabaar, who uses an unknown style believe to be the essence of Jeet Kune Do.

thl

Post by thl » Wed May 30, 2007 4:57 pm

This version was a bit of a mess. During that film, there was a cardboard cut-out of Bruce which I found very flawed and silly. Some of the footages was taken from other films (The Way of the Dragon) to make it become part of the sequence. Plus the storyline wasn't intended to be how Bruce would want it after his death. Since Robert Clouse took over through directing, he change everything and did what he can do best for the production. Overall it's very average. Plus the fight sequences with the real Bruce Lee is probably the best bit of the film.

And yet there's been a lot of follow-up to the real Bruce Lee. And they are: Bruce Lai, Bruce Lau, Bruce Le, Bruce Li, Bruce Lo, Bruce Lu and the list goes on...

thl

Post by thl » Wed May 30, 2007 6:04 pm

MikeHive wrote:Anything with Hwang Jang Lee - the original Drunken Master maybe.
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu May 31, 2007 7:42 am

Xesh wrote:Does A Chinese Ghost Story classify as being martial arts?
I liked this one. It's fun and over-the-top but very entertaining. I like some of the hong kong Ghost/Vampire films - Mr. Vampire and Encounters of the Spooky Kind are really good.

I watched Knockabout on tuesday night, it's another Sammo Hung directed film so you know what to expect. It has a great final sequence and a good leading part for Yuen Biao.