Audio Cassettes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sputryk

Re: Audio Cassettes

Post by Sputryk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:04 am

Used to buy That's VX 90's for my home recordings, and still have plenty of compilations tucked away. Have also some cheap blanks that I never got the time to fill, and now never will as I don't need to.

CD-tape recordings sound fine, tape-tape recordings were a bit dull, and record-tape were just troublesome (I hated too much silence between songs, and taping from vinyl was almost impossible to time accurately without long silences) though were also fun to do. And now all we do is 'click' and it's downloaded to iPod etc. All the fun has been taken away.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Pre recorded cassettes had their own sound unique to the format, and it was great, far better than the souless CD or mp3, but only if you didn't use Dolby, which sucked the life out of the top end! The big drawback for tapes today? They don't flatten into mono! There's loads of phasing, so you can't play them out of one speaker like you can with CD or vinyl. Damn!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Spector wrote:Pre recorded cassettes had their own sound unique to the format, and it was great, far better than the souless CD or mp3, but only if you didn't use Dolby, which sucked the life out of the top end! The big drawback for tapes today? They don't flatten into mono! There's loads of phasing, so you can't play them out of one speaker like you can with CD or vinyl. Damn!
If you used a "Metal" or "Chrome" tape with Dolby S and Dolby HX Pro(which provided more headroom for top end sound) you could get great recordings. Particularly from a CD source, and they weren't that bad from a vinyl record either. Although to be honest you rarely needed to use Dolby S when recording from a CD source and using a metal/chrome tape.

Dolby S was near enough the professional equivalent of Dolby SR which was used in professional recording studios. Sadly it came out a bit too late for tapes - in 1993. Then Sony had unleashed a monster - Minidisc! Ironically they released tape decks with Dolby S around the same time. Couple this with Philips ill fated Digital Compact Cassette(anyone remember or had one of these?) and those trusty silver coasters(the humble CD) and the writing was on the wall for the audio cassette.

I think most of; if not all pre recorded tapes were on "Normal" format. Probably for compatibility. But also I suspect because of cost.

station

Post by station » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:38 am

I've still got a Blaupunkt tape machine in my car. I seem to remember appreciating taped copies of music better as it was such a pain to rewind to listen to the song again.
I'd love to use tapes again, think I might order some from Argos. I'm definitely going to whip out my minidisc car stereo at some point.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:31 am

Remember the skip function on some decks,it was handy feature,but if a song had a second silent or faded sound,the deck would stop and play that as the next song.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:02 am

I still play a few cassettes. Rollins Band, Dave Lee Roth, etc. The last tape I bought was Radiohead Ok Computer. I remember doing TONS of metal compilations on tape for school :D

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 pm

I was given my first Philips Cassette player for my birthday in 1978.

I still have the first "mixed" tape I recorded from Radio Piaccadilly in Manchester. Loved listening to their late night rock shows.

My car still has a radio cassette but rarely use it because of its appetite - it eats them alive :shock:

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:35 pm

Fred83 wrote:Remember the skip function on some decks,it was handy feature,but if a song had a second silent or faded sound,the deck would stop and play that as the next song.
And if you had an album such as Abbey Road, then it would not stop due to their being no "gaps" in between tracks :lol:

Was a pretty good feature though, still have my old Sony Hi Fi complete with twin cassette & high speed dubbing - I remember it was the best thing since sliced bread when that was invented :D

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Who remembers aiwa decks..

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Fred83 wrote:Who remembers aiwa decks..
I do. I never had one tho.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:17 pm

There is nothing finer in the world of retro than pulling an unlabelled C90 cassette from the big cardboard box of Spectrum games, placing it in the trusty old recorder, typing Load "", and then sitting back with an ice cold Dandelion & Burdock to see what gaming exotica from the past the little plastic treasure box contains.

And then a few minutes later asking yourself why you ever copied Beaky And The Egg Snatchers in the first place.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:48 pm

the pound shops still ell packs of audio cassettes.
i bought a few recently to copy some spectrum tapes.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:36 pm

I frequently used to appear in the living room carrying a large pile of vinyl, tapes, CDs and a pair of headphones asking my parents if I could make another mix-cassette on the stereo.
"What, ANOTHER one?!"
"Yeah!"
....was bloody great, used to spend hours doing it and loved it :) Dragging and dropping / downloading several hours' worth of music onto some digital device just isn't the same.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.