Audio Cassettes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Audio Cassettes

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:53 am

As we have done Minidiscs and Cd players, why not audio cassettes? Anyway for a lot of people they were their first music media format. What are people's memories of them. Getting tapes crunched up in machines. Using Dolby to reduce the hiss on recordings. I got an old Sony Dolby S tape deck a couple of years ago. Actually recordings on it are pretty good, very near CD quality if you use either a metal tape or chrome tape(ahhh - the tape setting on your old machine)and Dolby S. My first tape deck was an old Philips double tape ghetto blaster(with FM/AM/LW and the long metal telescopic aerial).

Don't forget to clean those tape heads. It was also great when you had a tape deck in your car for long journeys. Who can forget the mix tape as well. The joys of high speed dubbing. Was it true that you got more tape hiss if you used this?

Don't forget Dolby HX Pro on some tape decks, used to give more headroom. I think it appeared on some Bang and Olfusen tape decks, and some Sony ones as well.

Get out those pack of C90s and remember "Piracy isn't theft!" it is an "art"! :lol: Copying tapes! Oh dear, unfortunately that looks pretty tame compared with downloads today!

Fred83

Re: Audio Cassettes

Post by Fred83 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 am

Great thread mr katz :),have fond memories of them in the 90s.I remember the covermounted tapes on mags.The machine,chewed up tapes,about dubbing.I found the quality was bit lower than if i backed up a tape in normal speed.
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:28 am

that's a lovely looking machine :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:17 pm

And remember kiddies never, ever place an audio cassette into your cheap car tape machine. It will never ever come out alive

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Ooooh, I have very fond memories of audio cassettes! From loading them on my C64, listening to music on car journeys, copying friends other cassettes/CD's to tapes, recording one of my old bands demo tape's on to audio cassettes.....somehow MP3's seem a bit soul-less :(

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Katzkatz wrote:The joys of high speed dubbing. Was it true that you got more tape hiss if you used this?

You certainly got lower quality copies.

Imagine you're copying a sentence down. You read the sentence, you write the sentence. Then try and do it faster. And faster. And faster. The quality of your writing would get worse. Exactly the same is true of High Speed Dubbing. It was a shortcut, and far from perfect.
ImageImage

Meurglys68

Post by Meurglys68 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:32 pm

This might interest you: http://www.c-90.org/catalogue/tapes

I can recall being about 8 or 9 years old and holding a cassette deck against the speaker of the television in an attempt to record music from Top of the Pops. Sound quality was awful. I also remember falling in love again with cassettes with my getting my hands on a Matsui wannabee Walkman. In fact I had a preferred cassette (for both music and computer games): The Maxell (http://www.c-90.org/catalogue/tapes/Hit ... ell%20UR/1)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:15 am

I can remember getting my first cassette player and also getting Micheal Jacksons Bad album with it.

I also used it to tape one of Leicesters pirate radio stations in the early 90's. Staying up late and trying to tune it in without getting caught by my parents lol.

I still have alot of cassettes as being into rave scene I bought a load of tape packs from a record shop in town called 5HQ. That was an intimidating place to go in when you were a very young teen!

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:42 am

You never see cassettes in the shops for sale anymore, when did all that stop?

Wonder what the last one was.

I've still got Oasis - Roll with it on cassette :D

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:59 am

Fishsta wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:The joys of high speed dubbing. Was it true that you got more tape hiss if you used this?

You certainly got lower quality copies.

Imagine you're copying a sentence down. You read the sentence, you write the sentence. Then try and do it faster. And faster. And faster. The quality of your writing would get worse. Exactly the same is true of High Speed Dubbing. It was a shortcut, and far from perfect.
Okay thank you for the reply. I thought it might be an urban myth.
Meurglys68 wrote:This might interest you: http://www.c-90.org/catalogue/tapes

I can recall being about 8 or 9 years old and holding a cassette deck against the speaker of the television in an attempt to record music from Top of the Pops. Sound quality was awful. I also remember falling in love again with cassettes with my getting my hands on a Matsui wannabee Walkman. In fact I had a preferred cassette (for both music and computer games): The Maxell (http://www.c-90.org/catalogue/tapes/Hit ... ell%20UR/1)
Thanks for the link. I think I used TDK C 90s most of the time. The "normal" ones at first, before moving on to "Metal". I didn't realise that there were Tape DeMagnetisers as well.
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:You never see cassettes in the shops for sale anymore, when did all that stop?

Wonder what the last one was.

I don't know. I did a quick google and got a link from the BBC website (in 2005) saying that production of them was not going to last long. I can't remember however when they stopped appearing in the high street shops. I think the latest I remember seeing tapes in the stores was 1999. After that I can't remember seeing them.

I was talking to a friend who teaches blind people the other day and she said that the audio tape was very useful to blind people because of the audiobook. Releasing books and plays on to them.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:00 am

Tapes were and are awesome.

Enabled millions of people to record whatever they wanted onto a cheap pocket-sized reel of tape.

Demo tapes, mix tapes, recordings of your kids opening their presents on Christmas Day, recording gigs.....

Me and my DJ buddy learnt to mix with cassettes! We couldn't afford turntables, but we had two tape players with pitch control! No mixer or anything, just two stereo systems with a tape in each...got us used to beat-matching if nothing else.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:44 am

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Saw some blank TDK Cassettes in Waitrose today, along with the CD/DVD-r's and memory sticks!

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Have got - Some Might Say on tape, countless interviews from the radio with Noel, Knebworth live, Glastonbury '95 and loads of live one of them, mostly when Radio 1 was quite good and they used to cover them live. I remember when Knebworth was live - I had two stereos ready, one taping the concert at the same time and another for when the tape ran out!

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:30 pm

If blank tapes ever stop being made, I will put all my life savings into a company that makes blank tapes, except they will be gold-plated, or turkish delight and that, and they will cost a veritable bomb, and you suckers will buy them anyway, and I will LOL. And so it was written, and so it shall be :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip