Videoplus+

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Videoplus+

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:06 am

No, it's stuff I've recorded over the last 15 years or so - the tapes themselves aren't in bad nick and play fine when I hook the video straight up to the TV, but my DVD recorder seems to find faults that aren't there.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:22 am

I was only thinking of videoplus yesterday! You had a long string of numbers at the end of a programme description in the newspaper/magazine - like, 10002676.

I remember when we got our videoplus VHS the remote control had an LCD display - I thought it was out of this world! Until I used it obviously.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:58 am

Liamh1982 wrote:No, it's stuff I've recorded over the last 15 years or so - the tapes themselves aren't in bad nick and play fine when I hook the video straight up to the TV, but my DVD recorder seems to find faults that aren't there.
You need a Time Base Corrector. Or alternatively get yourself a SuperVHS video recorder(nowadays very cheap on Ebay) as most of the models of SuperVHS(particularly the JVC ones) machines have a Time base corrector built in. This will help with old VHS tapes and archiving to DVD. Hope that helps.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Used to use this alot.. used to miss the end of LOADS of programmes.. :)

Still have the Mitsubishi VCR player in the loft..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Never had it and never used it, I did all mine manually cos most of what I recorded I was there for, and just watched it at the time AND recorded it for future watching while cutting out adverts myself!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Iv'e got a Bush.......video recorder, and I don't think that even has a timer recorder. I still use it, for when I get my Star Wars vids. I do miss using, and buying, new pre-recorded tapes. My Mum & Dad's old video had VideoPlus+, and it was a reliable as putting Stevie Wonder as a bus driver. You always, always, always either missed the last five minutes, or the first five minutes. Or sometimes both. It was shockingly sh!te. It was better to timer it. I remember once I timed one film, but ended up with something else (I think it was Neighbours :shock: ). The worst one was timing a film on ITV, and forgetting that my Dad watched Enter The Dragon on RTL1 and recorded the nookie movie afterwards instead. And it wasn't even Pervy Nights in Bangkok!!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

retromax

Post by retromax » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Both my Sony VCR's had seperate video+ remotes with them, the remotes were still brand new in their wrappers when I gave the VCR's away on freecycle the other year!!
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 am

The Videoplus+ was a great idea, and great when it worked but it was so frustrating to go out, set the Videoplus+ only to come back to find that it had either missed the start or end of a programme I really wanted to see! :x
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:31 am

When I was young we bought one for my grandparents for christmas and thought it would be good. They used it a couple of times recording his sport shows and my grandmas soaps and it wouldnt tape properly and miss the start/finish.

It all came to a head when instead of taping his cricket when we went for a pint one lunchtime (bless him, he used to buy me pints of bitter when I was 11) it taped Murder She Wrote. Hence it ended up in my parents cupboard for many years. And then it went in a skip when we cleared the garage.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Hated it because it rarely worked for me. Preferred manual recording.

Having said that, my VCR was a hard-to-understand, useless evil thing anyway.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 am

I think that's why videoplus came about in the first place, because of "hard to use" timer programming taking people ages. I remember it being something of a meme that nobody could program a VCR. To be honest, I never really saw the problem and thus it was teenage me that used to have to set the video timer so my mum didn't miss coronation street or emmerdale farm!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:54 am

Dominoid wrote:I think that's why videoplus came about in the first place, because of "hard to use" timer programming taking people ages. I remember it being something of a meme that nobody could program a VCR. To be honest, I never really saw the problem and thus it was teenage me that used to have to set the video timer so my mum didn't miss coronation street or emmerdale farm!
So true, I still have to set the video around here...

We got one of those Philips ones, with a huge remote control AND a pen for scanning barcodes. It even had PDC, which was great... until we switched to cable.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

station

Post by station » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:45 am

Think I used it once, and it failed miserably. The only thing that starts and ends on the dot is the news!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Dominoid wrote:I think that's why videoplus came about in the first place, because of "hard to use" timer programming taking people ages. I remember it being something of a meme that nobody could program a VCR. To be honest, I never really saw the problem and thus it was teenage me that used to have to set the video timer so my mum didn't miss coronation street or emmerdale farm!
Oh I've got no problem with recorders and such but my VCR was the kind that came with a useless manual full of innaccurate info and no answers to any critical problems.

Manual recording was better anyway since you could leave 5 minutes either side of a movie whereas VP meant the end of movies being chopped off sometimes. I remember recording Hitchcock's The Birds and having the end (with the explanation as to why they all attacked) completely missing :evil:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.