Videoplus+

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fred83

Videoplus+

Post by Fred83 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Who remembers this?.Before the invention of sky+ we had made to do with this.You look for the codes beside the program listed in the tv guide,then you enter the code and the vcr was set to record.Sometimes didn't work right as the program might had been delayed.
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djcarlos

Re: Videoplus+

Post by djcarlos » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:52 am

The one my folks had used PDC (Programme Delivery COntrol?) which automatically cut the ads out. Smooth.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:41 am

The first one we had with that kind of technology used a barcode reader. You scanned barcodes to put the time in, and also some papers/magazines would put the whole thing in one barcode, so one swipe would set it all up.

Then we had a videoplus one, but that was almost as useless, as it took aboult as long to type the number as it did to put them in manually (depending on the program).

I had a PDC one as well, which worked most of the time, but not always.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:39 am

Yes i remember it well, It was really good, just so long as you didnt mind missing the last 5 mins of programs on a regular basis.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:17 am

I never saw the point. On the 2 VCR's I had it on, it only took 10 seconds longer to program it manually and you could add 10 mins to each end of the recording to stop it cutting off.

I think I stopped trusting it when, instead of the F1, I was left with 1 hour of horse trials and back to back "bargain Hunt" or similar. Lovely.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:48 am

Yep I remember this. Still got it on my trusty old VHS which is underneath my telly(although not used that often nowadays). I only ever used Videoplus a couple of times. Mainly because I didn't get the listings magazines that often. Of course the trick with it was to enter the number and then adjust the timer setting manually to allow some padding, so that if a programme over ran or was early.

I never had PDC.

Was there something called "Startext" which used the teletext signal so that you could set the timer(similar to the way PVRs do today)?

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 am

I don't think I ever used it myself. Always set the recordings manually.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:33 am

Use to have it featured on the Sanyo VCR. Didn't know what it was as I never hardly use it. Plus I usually settle with the timer record as the setting was more straight forward.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:05 pm

None of our household saw the point either when I was a kid, found it simpler (and considerably more reliable!) to just program the start and finish times in. That's certainly a blast from the past though, had forgotten all about Videoplus and the beginnings/endings of shows that were always cut off without fail on the occasions we did have a bash at it. :)
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I also remember the barcode reader on the remote as well. My gran had a Panasonic VHS I believe with it. She never used it. Again it was because she did not pick up the listings magazines. I do remember seeing the barcodes once in a Radio Times - the times set added a lot of padding. I think films were only featured with the bar codes at the time - at least from my memory of it.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Actually allowed my sweet ma to record films without her phoning me up and asking how to set the program timer on her many many video recorders....

She still uses her video even though I have offered to buy her a PVR.

She has her paper scribbled notebook next to her many remotes - the notebook is entitled `idiots guide`

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:41 am

Katzkatz wrote:Yep I remember this. Still got it on my trusty old VHS which is underneath my telly(although not used that often nowadays). I only ever used Videoplus a couple of times. Mainly because I didn't get the listings magazines that often. Of course the trick with it was to enter the number and then adjust the timer setting manually to allow some padding, so that if a programme over ran or was early.
I've still got it too - I just can't bring myself to get rid of my video collection - what if I want to watch something I recorded years ago that never came out on DVD?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:43 am

Liamh1982 wrote:I've still got it too - I just can't bring myself to get rid of my video collection - what if I want to watch something I recorded years ago that never came out on DVD?
Buy a dvd recorder,then transfer :).

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:47 am

I have a DVD recorder, but for some reason it doesn't like my video - when I try to transfer, the picture jumps and wobbles and if it does that too much it pauses the recording - I've tried other VCRs and it does the same thing. And I can't afford an alternative solution.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 am

Liamh1982 wrote:I have a DVD recorder, but for some reason it doesn't like my video - when I try to transfer, the picture jumps and wobbles and if it does that too much it pauses the recording - I've tried other VCRs and it does the same thing. And I can't afford an alternative solution.
If they are official releases.It could be a copy protection on the tapes.Boxes available on ebay/amazon allowing you to back up.
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.