Back to the Future - UK cinema release!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

martin_lovick

Re: Back to the Future - UK cinema release!

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:37 am

may go along to see it,

cinema prices are getting silly though these days, one can almost buy a DVD for the same price
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

McBoosh

Post by McBoosh » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:00 pm

well, just back from seeing this in Bristol. Firstly, the digital presentation of this gives fantastic picture quality, really impressed. Marty's girlfreind looks even hotter than before! And yes, it was a great experience to see a classic like this in the cinema, especially having not been messed around with (hello Mr Lucas). BUT, and this is a serious major BUT - the screening, Sunday, 11am, and the majority of people in the viewing were under 5 - i censored you not - why in gods name take a party of 8 5year olds (all female....) to BTTF????? It started with all them whinging about not being able to sit next to their 'bestest fweind' (curse cinemas and having seats in parallel lines, how dare they!) and they had been tanked up with sweets and fizzy drinks - cue lots of 'i need a wee'. I was unfortunatly sat near this, and no matter my constant uttering of 'for fcuks sake...' nothing was done by the dumb woman who took them all - she spent all her time on her mobile - feckign annoying green glow in the corner of my eye. i mean, how much did it cost to take that brood? tickets, sweets drinks, and i bet not one of them actually saw more than 5 minutes of the film without loosing interest. what a waste of thier money, and ultimately a waste of my money as well. i so hate children, and this is kind of the final nail in the coffin to make me think about getting the snip :shock:

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:00 pm

It was a tough decision, but I've decided against seeing this. It's too expensive to see a film that I have seen far too many times already, and can watch whenever I want on DVD. It would be nice to see it on the big screen, but I can't really justify it.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:33 pm

I went to see it on Friday - the release date at the Odeon Cinema Manchester and thought it was brilliant although a little expensive at £9.25 a ticket, but I loved seeing it on the big screen and was impressed that the colour had improved. Plus, there was a cool De Lorean park outside sponsored by Rock Radio, got a couple of pictures on my phone, it was gone when we came out - maybe gone to 1955?! :D

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:41 pm

DPrinny wrote:Ouch.
Its only about a fiver at Showcase.
Go in the mornings to be almost on your own EVEN WEEKENDS!
Don't think I've been been to Showcase since 'Austin Powers 2' - it's got a bit of a bad reputation for being a bit scruffy from what I've heard though now. But I went to see 'Back To The Future 3' when it was out there back in '91 and it really was in it's prime back then. Does it still have it's Arcade Games room/cave? that was always a winner. My all time favourite cinema, has got to be the Roxy back in the day, last film I went to see there was 'The Polar Express', I loved the fact it had a mini kind of bar, an arcade room and there was always a good atmosphere in there - always packed, used to go nearly every friday, and try and sneek into the local pubs round failsworth. Second favourite; the Odeon on Oxford Road - always a little more expensive, but really good, the pick n' mix was legendary!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Went and saw this this evening. Might have cost £7.20, but it was Back to the Future, ffs! It did make me feel like I was watching it for the very first time, and to see it the way it was meant to be seen, was an experience I'll never forget!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:Went and saw this this evening. Might have cost £7.20, but it was Back to the Future, ffs! It did make me feel like I was watching it for the very first time, and to see it the way it was meant to be seen, was an experience I'll never forget!
Samer here - still excellent.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:40 pm

McBoosh wrote:well, just back from seeing this in Bristol. Firstly, the digital presentation of this gives fantastic picture quality, really impressed. Marty's girlfreind looks even hotter than before! And yes, it was a great experience to see a classic like this in the cinema, especially having not been messed around with (hello Mr Lucas). BUT, and this is a serious major BUT - the screening, Sunday, 11am, and the majority of people in the viewing were under 5 - i censored you not - why in gods name take a party of 8 5year olds (all female....) to BTTF????? It started with all them whinging about not being able to sit next to their 'bestest fweind' (curse cinemas and having seats in parallel lines, how dare they!) and they had been tanked up with sweets and fizzy drinks - cue lots of 'i need a wee'. I was unfortunatly sat near this, and no matter my constant uttering of 'for fcuks sake...' nothing was done by the dumb woman who took them all - she spent all her time on her mobile - feckign annoying green glow in the corner of my eye. i mean, how much did it cost to take that brood? tickets, sweets drinks, and i bet not one of them actually saw more than 5 minutes of the film without loosing interest. what a waste of thier money, and ultimately a waste of my money as well. i so hate children, and this is kind of the final nail in the coffin to make me think about getting the snip :shock:

On Thursday evening there was a free outdoor screening of 'Up' next to Tower Bridge in London. I got there half an hour before it started so didn't get a great seat to one side of the screen. Sat next to me were two mothers who proceeded to talk throughout the ENTIRE FILM!!! :evil:

Then their kids who were sat on the floor in front of the screen kept walking to and from their parents. I got fed up, so I moved to a worse (albeit quieter) seat.

I know that 'Up' is aimed at kids but all the other children at the film were fine and keeping quiet.

I work in a museum and get so angered by the number of parents who let their kids scream, run riot and touch and cimb onto the exibits.

Anyhoo, back to BTTF...

I saw it today at the huge screen in White City's Westfield shopping centre.

They've done an excellent job of cleaning up the image as I don't think I saw even one scratch on the film. This compares to a free screening Frijj did in Chelsea a couple of years ago which used a very poor quality print.

There was only FOUR other people in the cinema at the time. This was my intention as I didn't want to watch it around noisy kids (see McBoosh's post above) or annoying chavs. There was one couple who talked a bit, but I think that was about the film.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:51 pm

FooAtari wrote:Saw this yesterday afternoon. Awesome.

Really enjoyed it on the big screen, I hope to see more of these older films get shown again in Cinemas. As there are no production costs or anything to make surely it's only the Cinemas that need to see some kind of profit and I wouldn't have that they would need to have sell out showings to make it worth their while.

If you live in London, then the Prince Charles cinema in Leceister Square is worth checking out. They often show old (and really old) films there including recently, Tron and the non-digital BTTF.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 pm

rtrgrl78 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Ouch.
Its only about a fiver at Showcase.
Go in the mornings to be almost on your own EVEN WEEKENDS!
Don't think I've been been to Showcase since 'Austin Powers 2' - it's got a bit of a bad reputation for being a bit scruffy from what I've heard though now. But I went to see 'Back To The Future 3' when it was out there back in '91 and it really was in it's prime back then. Does it still have it's Arcade Games room/cave? that was always a winner. My all time favourite cinema, has got to be the Roxy back in the day, last film I went to see there was 'The Polar Express', I loved the fact it had a mini kind of bar, an arcade room and there was always a good atmosphere in there - always packed, used to go nearly every friday, and try and sneek into the local pubs round failsworth. Second favourite; the Odeon on Oxford Road - always a little more expensive, but really good, the pick n' mix was legendary!
It still has a few cabs
Virtua cop 3, Out run 2, A Mad dog Magrre style shooter, Time Crisis 3, House of the dead something and Street fighter EX
Like I say. If you go for a early showing you might have the screen to your self
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 am

This must have been the original theatrical print, because there was no
'To be continued' at the end 8)

Anyway, was worth the entry fee just for George McFly's laugh, when he's watching
the television

Ah ah ah ah ah uh uh ah ah ah :lol:

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 am

Oh, by the way lads, just pre-ordered this:

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1557 ... oduct.html

Can't wait to get my hands on the Sports Almanac 8)

There is also the standard version, which is a lot cheaper

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1345 ... oduct.html

And this mega version, which sadly is just a bit too much out of my price range

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1557 ... oduct.html

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:59 am

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:This must have been the original theatrical print, because there was no
'To be continued' at the end 8)

Anyway, was worth the entry fee just for George McFly's laugh, when he's watching
the television

Ah ah ah ah ah uh uh ah ah ah :lol:
It was worth it for the fact that I was smiling threw out the film
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:21 pm

Was just looking on the offical Bttf site, and they are selling the original NES game!!
http://www.bttf.net/Back_to_the_Future_ ... p/5167.htm

Lots of cool merch being released with the film too, was just wondering if its worth upgrading my DVD box set to the new one coming out.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:47 pm

If you have a Blu Ray player, grab one of the sets.

Not sure if the DVD set is just another re-issue?

As for the Nes game, it's very poor IMO, hard as nails as well! :shock: