Back to the Future - UK cinema release!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

EnglishRob

Re: Back to the Future - UK cinema release!

Post by EnglishRob » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 pm

red_dwarfers wrote:
EnglishRob wrote:Does anyone know if a list of cinemas showing it has been released yet?

I've been trying to find out since I heard about the re-release back in August but I can't seem to find anything other than listings in Scotland and that it's only in 200 cinemas across the UK.

I'm guessing it'll be at the big towns and cities (or at least cities I'd have thought) but I can't seem to find much information.

Rob
So I'm not the only one thats having trouble finding one!
You say that it will only be the big cinemas but the only place in Devon I could find showing the Avatar rerelease was in Paignton. Not good!
You mean the 3D release of Avatar?

I checked with Merlin Cinemas (who own the cinema in Torquay) and I've also checked at the Apollo in Paignton. No reply from the Apollo yet but it looks unlikely that it'll be in Torquay (which is a shame as I saw it there 25 years ago).

If I find any lists I'll post them. I'm guessing it'll be big cinemas, if it comes to it I would be prepared to travel up to Bristol to see it but I'd prefer to not go so far (ideally my limit realistically is Plymouth or Exeter).

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 am

Interesting. Hopefully they'll do the second one, too. And release it on November 15th 2015. I don't mind waiting five years.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:23 pm

EnglishRob wrote:
red_dwarfers wrote:
EnglishRob wrote:Does anyone know if a list of cinemas showing it has been released yet?

I've been trying to find out since I heard about the re-release back in August but I can't seem to find anything other than listings in Scotland and that it's only in 200 cinemas across the UK.

I'm guessing it'll be at the big towns and cities (or at least cities I'd have thought) but I can't seem to find much information.

Rob
So I'm not the only one thats having trouble finding one!
You say that it will only be the big cinemas but the only place in Devon I could find showing the Avatar rerelease was in Paignton. Not good!
You mean the 3D release of Avatar?

I checked with Merlin Cinemas (who own the cinema in Torquay) and I've also checked at the Apollo in Paignton. No reply from the Apollo yet but it looks unlikely that it'll be in Torquay (which is a shame as I saw it there 25 years ago).

If I find any lists I'll post them. I'm guessing it'll be big cinemas, if it comes to it I would be prepared to travel up to Bristol to see it but I'd prefer to not go so far (ideally my limit realistically is Plymouth or Exeter).

Rob
Wouldn't surprise me if the Showcase Cinema De Lux in Cabot circus (2 minutes walk from my place :D) will be showing it as the Odeon here isn't up to much, the VUE in Cribbs causeway may also be showing it

PSN username - MartinPhantom

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 pm

Oh its on at Showcase Manchester.

I might go and see it
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Just checked Cineworld for Harlow, and they're showing it. That's my night sorted :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Went and got my two tickets (for me and my cousin) yesterday for the Odeon at Manchester for Friday - at pricely £9.25 each but will be worth it - can't wait :D

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Dunjohn wrote:Interesting. Hopefully they'll do the second one, too. And release it on November 15th 2015. I don't mind waiting five years.
Would be so sweet if they showed the second one two, only ever manage to the 3rd when it was actually on at the pictures years ago.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Ouch.
Its only about a fiver at Showcase.
Go in the mornings to be almost on your own EVEN WEEKENDS!
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Booked for the Xtreme screen (one of the biggest in the UK) at Vue at Westfield White City for Tuesday midday.

Should be fairly empty, so no chavs and or kids. :twisted:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Chavs - Buy it off a mate on a dodgy cam job.
(Heck they wont want to see it)
Kids - Wont know what Back to the Future is

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:16 pm

I doubt the kids of today will 'get' back to the future. Back in the day, the whole theme was new and fresh, but cinema has moved on. Many films are special FX heavy, whilst the FX in this film were good at the time (flying cars etc.) its all moved on.
Dont get me wrong it was a great trilogy, but I predict a cinema flop.
It may be nice in HD, but I reckon the main audience will consist of 80s kids.

just my 2 penneth
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Maybe, but it's still nice anyway....

Could have done with some TV spots or something, I've not seen any, it's thanks to you lot that
I even know about it, so I'm off to see it on Tuesday.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:41 pm

martin_lovick wrote:I doubt the kids of today will 'get' back to the future. Back in the day, the whole theme was new and fresh, but cinema has moved on. Many films are special FX heavy, whilst the FX in this film were good at the time (flying cars etc.) its all moved on.
Dont get me wrong it was a great trilogy, but I predict a cinema flop.
It may be nice in HD, but I reckon the main audience will consist of 80s kids.
Well I went to a showing today and it was fairly packed with young and old, much more than some recent films I've seen. Quite a lot of the kids were laughing at plenty of jokes and there was a lot of happy chat and "woah that was great" after the credits rolled.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 am

VUE in Watford.

Saw it yesterday!!

Brilliant! was weird on the big screen!! I was seeing all sorts of stuff I miss on my 32inch screen!!

FooAtari

Post by FooAtari » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 am

Saw this yesterday afternoon. Awesome.

Really enjoyed it on the big screen, I hope to see more of these older films get shown again in Cinemas. As there are no production costs or anything to make surely it's only the Cinemas that need to see some kind of profit and I wouldn't have that they would need to have sell out showings to make it worth their while.