Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RMLF

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by RMLF » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:10 am

boggyb68 wrote: Also can you still get the little tins of fruit from Del Monte called Fruitini?

Yes Iam not sure if you can still get the cans, but Fruitini lives on as an Ice lolly which is made by Del Monte and Sold in Tescos

Re Lucky Charms.. Selfridges or Cybercandy (iirc Selfridges deffo do) sell these still as well
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:36 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: We had Pokemon Cereal when we went to America ten years ago, it was like Lucky Charms but with Pokemon-shaped marshmallow, and covered in the foul-tasting American milk.
Ha, somebody I knew brought me back a box of those from the US and they were indeed horrible. A nasty surprise for the young Pokemon obsessive that I was then.

Also, what ever happened to Kellogs Smacks? They even made a cereal bar version which kicked the bucket ages ago seemingly.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TheGamingEnigma

Post by TheGamingEnigma » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:58 am

Megamixer wrote: Also, what ever happened to Kellogs Smacks? They even made a cereal bar version which kicked the bucket ages ago seemingly.
I believe you can still buy them in France! Pretty sure I saw them last time I was there. Of course, that doesn't help seeing as we're here and nobody wants to go to France...

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 am

Wow, this topic brings back lots of happy memories! :)

Twist 'n' Squeeze was cool, I remember the advert used to do a take off of 'Twist And Shout', which always had me singing along!

Nerds were just brilliant! I always loved the wacky flavours and colours. Haven't seen them for years, can you still buy them?

Tab Clear was a novel thing way back when. I used to drink quite a lot of it around 15 years ago.

Then one day I suddenly thought to myself 'This is horrible!', and alas drank it no more...

Does anyone esle remember Fiendish Feet?

I used to LOVE these!

They were yoghurts made by St. Ivel in about 1989 or 1990, and the pots had feet and were made to look like various Ghosts and Ghoulies such as a Mummy, a Vampire and Frankenstein’s Monster.

They were really cool and I washed the pots out and saved them all!

They were rather tasty as well... :D
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:10 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
Yes Iam not sure if you can still get the cans, but Fruitini lives on as an Ice lolly which is made by Del Monte and Sold in Tescos

Thanks Ralph.

Meant to add that Vanilla Coke is alive and well in France... I currently have 4 bottles of it at home that I brought back from there a week ago! Goes really well with Malibu.. :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:14 am

Garbage Pail Kids could sneak in here cos they came with a stick of bubble gum.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:41 am

Red Hot Jawbreakers with a devil on the wrapper. Came in three's and keeping one in yer gob for longer than a few minutes risked 3rd degree burns :lol:

mtsang12

Post by mtsang12 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:06 am

Is smarties tubes still around? I just realised I haven't seen them in ages.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 pm

SoupDragon wrote:Red Hot Jawbreakers with a devil on the wrapper. Came in three's and keeping one in yer gob for longer than a few minutes risked 3rd degree burns :lol:
Jawbreakers! :lol: Brilliant I totally forgot about those.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 pm

mtsang12 wrote:Is smarties tubes still around? I just realised I haven't seen them in ages.
They are but the tubes are hexagonal without the cool plastic caps. Used to loved getting an empty tube and giving it a good whack so that the lid shot off :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:03 am

I remember a story doing the rounds (probably in school) that if you filled a Smarties tube with 20p pieces you'd fit a total of £50 :shock:

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:17 am

Megamixer wrote:
mtsang12 wrote:Is smarties tubes still around? I just realised I haven't seen them in ages.
They are but the tubes are hexagonal without the cool plastic caps. Used to loved getting an empty tube and giving it a good whack so that the lid shot off :lol:
I was gutted when I found out they had stopped doing the tubes with lids, I once collected up loads of lids (buying buying loads and loads of packets) and made a valentines card with all the words spelt out with the lids (which had letters on other side.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 am

SoupDragon wrote:I remember a story doing the rounds (probably in school) that if you filled a Smarties tube with 20p pieces you'd fit a total of £50 :shock:
Maybe a fiver?

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:42 am

bensonrad wrote:I once collected up loads of lids (buying buying loads and loads of packets) and made a valentines card with all the words spelt out with the lids (which had letters on other side.
Did she want it?
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 am

This thread, full of things that have been cut down in their prime.

On the other side of the coin there's the inexplicable stuff that seems to survive no matter what. Those things that really should be retro by now, and essentially are retro when you get right down to it, but somehow they're still on the shelves.

Who on earth has been buying Brain's Faggots for all these years? And Tunnock's Caramel Wafers?

And why is it that the ultimate grandad sweets, Liquorice Allsorts, have lasted this long when far superior sweeties have gone the way of the dodo?