Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sputryk

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by Sputryk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm

"When a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - TOFFO!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Does anybody remember the Monster Munch from a few years back that turned your tongue either blue or green? Walkers 'Footballs'? Or how about Walkers Cheese and Onion flavoured popcorn?

I'd be glad if somebody remembered the last one because nobody else I know does!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Megamixer wrote:Walkers 'Footballs'? Or how about Walkers Cheese and Onion flavoured popcorn?

I'd be glad if somebody remembered the last one because nobody else I know does!
Definitely remember Footballs. Wern't they Cheese & Onion as well? Bloody tasty to boot. And I do have some sort of vague recollection of C 'n' O Popcorn. Didn't like it.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Megamixer wrote:Or how about Walkers Cheese and Onion flavoured popcorn?
Some things went out of production for a very good reason.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:01 pm

The Mask Seller wrote:
Morkin wrote:Back in the late 1970's I used to buy small packs of chewy mints (similar to soft mints) that were about the size of a 1/2p & square shaped, which came in two flavours I think, although I only remember mint flavour. Does anyone know what they were called?
For some reason I think these were called Pacers, dunno why I think that as I was born in 1976! Does that ring a bell?
Sounds like Tooty Minties, the companion sweets to Tooty Frooties. They came in a bag and were white, light green and dark green.

The mrs is telling me that Tooty Frooties were actually spelled Tutti Fruttis. Well whatever, mrs Crunchy. :roll:

Whatever the speling I reckon thems the varmints. I used to by Tooty Minties a fair bit, usually with an Icebreaker bar for double mintiness.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:24 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Remember Pot Mash? From the makers of Pot Noodle, only it was spicy mash potato with croutons. Gorgeous stuff.

And the drink that was made when Nemesis opened in Alton Towers, like an aniseed-flavoured Coke. How I miss Vanilla Coke...

Pot Mash was alright nothing special.. worth having a go though think Smash in a pot with bits in

but Nemesis would literally strip lacquer of stuff and could de colour trainers permanently. Gawd knows what went into it... but its a worry :P

often found in Poundstretcher I found
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:17 am

Crunchy wrote:
The Mask Seller wrote:
Morkin wrote:Back in the late 1970's I used to buy small packs of chewy mints (similar to soft mints) that were about the size of a 1/2p & square shaped, which came in two flavours I think, although I only remember mint flavour. Does anyone know what they were called?
For some reason I think these were called Pacers, dunno why I think that as I was born in 1976! Does that ring a bell?
Sounds like Tooty Minties, the companion sweets to Tooty Frooties. They came in a bag and were white, light green and dark green.

The mrs is telling me that Tooty Frooties were actually spelled Tutti Fruttis. Well whatever, mrs Crunchy. :roll:

Whatever the speling I reckon thems the varmints. I used to by Tooty Minties a fair bit, usually with an Icebreaker bar for double mintiness.
Yes! YES! Thems the ones. Cheers mate. :D

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 am

OMG Tutti Frutties!! Id forgotten all about them! Loved them :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 pm

SoupDragon wrote:OMG Tutti Frutties!! Id forgotten all about them! Loved them :D
Good job you can still get them then!
SirPsychoSexy wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Or how about Walkers Cheese and Onion flavoured popcorn?
Some things went out of production for a very good reason.
Heh, I actually liked it. Wasn't around for long though :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Katzkatz wrote: Does anyone remember a lemon and lime flavoured fizzy drink called "Gini"? I remember it used to be in the vending machines at one of the places I worked at. Seems to have disappeared from the UK.
This was a Coca Cola/Schweppes product. My mum worked for them and used to get trays of cans of this and I really liked it, but it didn't sell that well and it was discontinued..

Feast lollies still exist...

Raspberry Cornettos are the things I miss most..

Also can you still get the little tins of fruit from Del Monte called Fruitini?

I also miss a savoury snack from Sainsbury's.. they were called Chunnels and were baked potato and cheese flavour..

Also Cadbury's did a cheese wafer snack in the early to mid 80's called Cheesy Criss Cross of which was nice.. lattice cheese wafer with a soft cheese filling..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 pm

I loved Quattro and Tab Clear tp drink. Nutty Bars to eat.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Everyone seems to miss that cereal "Lucky Charms" that they don't sell anymore (some farce about the E-numbers)

Was taking a walk around Bristol with the missus and found a shop that sells it so if anyone craves....come to farmer land and grab a box or ten!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 pm

I seem to be the only person I know who remembers Pyramints!

I loved them, even though they were prohibitively expensive. Anybody else remember them?
ImageImage

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 pm

RetroMartin wrote:Everyone seems to miss that cereal "Lucky Charms" that they don't sell anymore (some farce about the E-numbers)

Was taking a walk around Bristol with the missus and found a shop that sells it so if anyone craves....come to farmer land and grab a box or ten!
That wouldn't be one of those American Import-type shops would it? The ones that charge £7 for a box of cereal?
We had Pokemon Cereal when we went to America ten years ago, it was like Lucky Charms but with Pokemon-shaped marshmallow, and covered in the foul-tasting American milk.

Banana Bubbles? Remember those? Like Coco Pops only they turned your milk into banana milk. Gorgeous, they lasted about a week before they stopped making them.

Milkolait was like a white chocolate version of Nutella, only ever found it once, but it was GOOD.

Jelly Invaders were the best yogurts ever. They looked like one of those Muller Corner things from the outside, only it was a big load of jelly with a bit of yogurt in the smaller bit.

Pop Tarts have gotten really hard to find now. Asda has them, but only in Strawberry and Chocolate flavours, for something like £2.50 a box (!). They don't do the marshmallow one anymore, which is sad.

I put up a thread about Fiendish Feet ages ago, how I'd love to see those again...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Barritz chocolate bars. Orange, Milk and Mint. They had the funky labels which were really cool, and the chocolate wern't bad, either. And who remembers Smiths Tubes, in either Salt & Vinegar (eurgh!) or Plain? Bloody loverly they were.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!