Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Master

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by The Master » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35 am

djcarlos wrote:I vaguely remember some sweets that were sugary bits of skeleton in a little plastic coffin.....
Oh God... they were awesome, and I'd completely forgotten about them until now...

Were they Halloween only, or all year round? God damn, what can they possibly have been called?

Something "bones"...? Bone shaker?

:?: :?: :?:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:37 am

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 am

Jesus Christ... how did this page (like, these forum posts, here, now) get into Google search results in like LESS THAN TWO MINUTES!!?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:31 am

Smoothly done sir.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:36 am

Megamixer wrote:The cheap 10p Red Mill crisps? Yeah, still around along with Onion Rings, Tangy Toms, Crunchy Sticks, Cheese Nibbles, Petrified Prawns etc. You can only really get them from corner shops and the like though.
Red Mill Snacks is about a 5 minute drive from my home and they're still going, most shops in Wolves stock their crisps :D

Although a quick Google just found this:
http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Busine ... -September :(

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Found 'em :D

mtsang12

Post by mtsang12 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:56 pm

I just went to the shops to get lunch, and I was looking for crisps when I realised that Tomato Ketchup Walkers have gone :o Do they not sell it in single packets anymore? Am gutted.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Is it not just possible that you ate them all?

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Morkin wrote:Can you still get a Finger of Fudge?
Yep. You can still get Cadbury's Fudge. Remember : "A finger of Fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat!" :D
Good to hear. I thought maybe they'd disappeared as someone thought 'finger of fudge' could be taken in the wrong way, ie something smutty. :P

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:12 pm

mtsang12 wrote:I just went to the shops to get lunch, and I was looking for crisps when I realised that Tomato Ketchup Walkers have gone :o Do they not sell it in single packets anymore? Am gutted.
No they don't sell 'em anymore :( . They added the Heinz logo on the front of the packet at the same time they produced the Branston Pickle flavour. There was another one too but all three disappeared at the same time.
SoupDragon wrote:
mtsang12 wrote:I just remembered something that began with the word twist. It 's a drink that has no cap but you would twist the top off and it was a skinny bottle.
I remember that, wasn't it called something like Twist Off? It'll come back to me :wink:
Twist 'n Squeeze and yes, you can still get them!

Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks Megamixer :wink: Thems the ones I remember. Used to make freeze pops out of them :D

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Morkin wrote:Back in the late 1970's I used to buy small packs of chewy mints (similar to soft mints) that were about the size of a 1/2p & square shaped, which came in two flavours I think, although I only remember mint flavour. Does anyone know what they were called?
For some reason I think these were called Pacers, dunno why I think that as I was born in 1976! Does that ring a bell?
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 am

That's not the ones I was thinking about, although I used to eat Pacers & had completely forgotten about them so thanks for reminding me of them! :D If I remember correctly, they used to really stick to your teeth!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:09 am

Megamixer wrote: Same where I live - Feasts are easy to find. In fact, I'd say it's one Walls' main ice creams?!? The ice cream I miss is a similar thing to feast except it was rectangular and the bottom half had a biscuit outer so you could hold the whole thing like a sandwhich. cannot remember what it was called but it was packed with chocolate, ice cream, nuts etc.
Winner Taco! The advert had a guy turn into a polar bear after eating it.

Loads of the things people are asking about - Twist N Squeeze, Space Raiders, Feast, Quarterbacks etc, we sell them in my shop. Space Raiders come in small size (15p) and big size (20p), but Fudge now costs 17p (shocking).

Remember Pot Mash? From the makers of Pot Noodle, only it was spicy mash potato with croutons. Gorgeous stuff.

Ice cream flavoured Monster Munch? From the makers of Nerds, there was Runts and Dweebs. Wonka Bars (the exploding ones) were nice too.

How about the Spider-Man ice lolly? It was red with blue gooey stuff on the inside. It had re-brandings a plenty as Casper, Donkey Kong and a nondescript Ogre. Ventura bars were lovely too, great big long chewy things. And Zig & Zag's Zog Juice (like Ribena with bits of jelly).

Fruitopia? Like Oasis but with bits in it, and nice glass bottles. And the drink that was made when Nemesis opened in Alton Towers, like an aniseed-flavoured Coke. How I miss Vanilla Coke...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mtsang12

Post by mtsang12 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 am

Megamixer wrote:
No they don't sell 'em anymore :( . They added the Heinz logo on the front of the packet at the same time they produced the Branston Pickle flavour. There was another one too but all three disappeared at the same time.
SoupDragon wrote:
mtsang12 wrote:I just remembered something that began with the word twist. It 's a drink that has no cap but you would twist the top off and it was a skinny bottle.
I remember that, wasn't it called something like Twist Off? It'll come back to me :wink:
Twist 'n Squeeze and yes, you can still get them!

Omg, thank you. Am now gonna go in search of the drink lol, I miss the squidgy bottle ahaha. And am really gutted about my tomato walkers, might start a campaign to bring them back! lol