Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:24 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:We're selling out of Vanilla Coke every week!
Complete opposite to us. The cans go (slowly) but the 500ml and 1.75ltr bottles are constantly going out of date due to nobody buying them. Pretty sure we'll end up stopping them before long.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 pm

I still say they should have brought back the orange one instead (though you can still get it in New Zealand - any Kiwis reading this? Can you ship a few crates over? :lol: ).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Complete opposite to us. The cans go (slowly) but the 500ml and 1.75ltr bottles are constantly going out of date due to nobody buying them. Pretty sure we'll end up stopping them before long.
It's Coke Zero that we can't shift - haven't sold a single 1.75ltr bottle since getting it in in the Summer, and have only just about got through the 24 bottles of 500ml that we got. Didn't even bother with the cans.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:37 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
It's Coke Zero that we can't shift - haven't sold a single 1.75ltr bottle since getting it in in the Summer, and have only just about got through the 24 bottles of 500ml that we got. Didn't even bother with the cans.
Same problem here but again, the cans sell pretty well (don't know why as Zero is horrible, tasteless stuff). Then again - being a wholesaler - we have caterers, cafes and event organisers buying pop so cans do well in general. Even now that Coke have dropped the case size of their bottles to 12x500ml (Pepsi have done the same), people still don't buy Vanilla or Zero.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Weird, I thought green cream soda was normal!

We used to have a lemonade man (milk man similar) - he'd do the rounds in his van. We got 4 big bottles of lemonade a week, usually normal lemonade, cream soda, dandelion and burdock, and orange. We'd keep the empty bottles and the next week we'd hand them back and get four new full bottles.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:09 pm

coke zero tastes the same as diet coke to me. i thought it was the same drink, rebranded for males (since diet coke has the "top off, hard-working sweaty fitness freak male in a field whilst pretty ladies ogle him model" approach to advertising...

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:10 pm

one thing i discovered on my trip to new york recently, was that i actually really liked root beer. i thought i remembered hating it :oops:

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm

sort of off topic but i've noticed my local tesco supermarket has started doing US chocolate bars that i used to see in films and wondered what they were like.

today i tried a butterfinger which wasn't really my thing,it was the consistency of honeycomb but obviously tasted strongly of peanut butter.
the other was a baby ruth,which was in the goonies and i think the pool scene of caddy shack.this was much better and i quite liked it,closest i can compare it to is a snickers bar.

next week i'll try tootsie roll and milk duds,i think that's all i recognise by brand name there.too bad there isn't any twinkies because i've wanted to try one.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Yeah, I've only just discovered a little shop in town that also imports US candy.

Go for Nerds, Dweebs, Runts, Reece's Pieces, Tootsie Rolls and Pops.

Avoid Lucky Charms cake bars (stale marshmallow does not an appetising snack make), Twinkies (a whole load of fuss over nothing, tastes like the cheapest cream bun you'll ever have) and anything with large amounts of chocolate, especially Hershey's - like poison, it tastes!

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:45 am

Don't you diss Twinkies whilst I'm around, boy!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:17 am

Considering the reputation, the national outcry when Hostess declared bankruptcy and the expense due to extortionate import tax, I expected something wonderful.

So forgive me for being somewhat chastened by the fact that the creamy centre contains nothing that could actually be construed as cream and the doughy bit had so much sugar I could taste the dental bills and a texture so unusual that I reckon if you dropped one on the floor it would bounce.

I can't deny what my tongue (and my wallet) told me...

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 am

I love Hershey's! And Reese's Cups. And Lucky Charms. God I loved Lucky Charms when they were first out over here - I'd let them settle in the milk for ages so the mallows went soft.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 pm

yeah we've had a US section in our tescos for awhile. i even paid £5 for some lucky charms to see if i still liked them. i didn't. i haven't paid £7 for some proper Fruit Loops though yet (the other UK available ones just aren't the same, or how I remember them at all)...

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 pm

anyone remember a wispa-shaped chocolate bar that has a coconut and cherry filling? Possible called Cariba?

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:anyone remember a wispa-shaped chocolate bar that has a coconut and cherry filling? Possible called Cariba?
nope, but people in the office have brought some of these back from holidays (australia, i think):
https://www.cadbury.com.au/products/cho ... e-bar.aspx