Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thingonaspring

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 am

the worst thing about BK is the amount the prices have gone up for what you get. premium burger price for less than premium burgers. there isn't one near me now either, and can't remember the last time i went to one, but it was about £8 just for a meal :shock:

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 am

Burger King are epic. I don't care about the decor, prices, cack staff, thay *still* make the best burgers, by far.

Had an XL bacon double cheese a bit back, nearly died because all my internal organs felt like they were being pushed into my ribcage, it would've taken at least six Big Macs to cause that kind of inner tomfoolery, kudos to BK for actually trying to *fill* their patrons!!!

Mr Kipling

Post by Mr Kipling » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Had an XL bacon double cheese a bit back, nearly died because all my internal organs felt like they were being pushed into my ribcage, it would've taken at least six Big Macs to cause that kind of inner tomfoolery, kudos to BK for actually trying to *fill* their patrons!!!
Just by reading the words 'XL Bacon Double Cheese' I can feel that exact feeling right now! :lol:

I honestly don't know if that's a good or bad thing..

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:28 pm

I prefer Burger King over McD's. The flame grilled flavour seems better to me. I quite the 'Mushroom Double Swiss'.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 pm

^The meat's better,too.I like Mickey Ds but their burgers taste a little 'bready',like they've been bulked out a bit.With BK,it's just minced, charred flesh, yum. :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Treguard wrote:Does anyone remember the Alton Towers Nemesis drink? It was kind of liquorice-ey.
That was my favourite drink ever, think I mentioned it toward the beginning of this thread... Wasn't available in the southern parts, if I remember. My London-based cousins didn't have it, but they DID have a Rameses' Revenge drink, based on something in Chessington. More of a fruity thing.

It was probably my love of the Nemesis drink that got me into the Ouzo later in life!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:07 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Treguard wrote:Does anyone remember the Alton Towers Nemesis drink? It was kind of liquorice-ey.
That was my favourite drink ever, think I mentioned it toward the beginning of this thread... Wasn't available in the southern parts, if I remember. My London-based cousins didn't have it, but they DID have a Rameses' Revenge drink, based on something in Chessington. More of a fruity thing.

It was probably my love of the Nemesis drink that got me into the Ouzo later in life!
My dad found that drink in Woolworths - he used to bring me one on his way back from work every friday - along with things like Hubba Bubba drink too.

My dad didnt acknowledge the fact I was 17 and he didnt need to still pick these things up for me - thank god. Still does it every now and then - sees something he thinks id like and I have to wait weeks before I get back up there to try it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:54 pm

The Hubba-Bubba drink, I remember that one too! It was a good one, very fruity...

Now then, yoghurts, them Muller Corner things specifically. Remember when they did one called Mississippi Mud Pie? Best chocolate-based yoghurt ever, that one :D
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The Hubba-Bubba drink, I remember that one too! It was a good one, very fruity...

Now then, yoghurts, them Muller Corner things specifically. Remember when they did one called Mississippi Mud Pie? Best chocolate-based yoghurt ever, that one :D
Did you know that the Mississippi Mud Pie corner is back? It's out now as a special edition so get it before it's gone! Haven't had chance to pick one up myself yet but I loved it first time around. Mmmm...

Wasn't it part of an American-themed line of corners? I seem to remember there being an Alabama one on some sort of New York-themed corner too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:09 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Tizer - yeah, they changed the recipe to make it more fruity. IT DIDN'T NEED CHANGING!!! I loved that chemical acid hit you got from a sip - what's wrong with filling stuff with artificial ingredients if they're that bloody nice?
Liked Tizer ICE as well.
I knew I'd find this mentioned here somewhere.

Tizer & Tizer Ice especially were my favourite drinks.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Vyothric wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:Tizer - yeah, they changed the recipe to make it more fruity. IT DIDN'T NEED CHANGING!!! I loved that chemical acid hit you got from a sip - what's wrong with filling stuff with artificial ingredients if they're that bloody nice?
Liked Tizer ICE as well.
I knew I'd find this mentioned here somewhere.

Tizer & Tizer Ice especially were my favourite drinks.
Tizer Ice was awesome - used to love them both but the new recipe Tizer - is no good.

As for the Mississippi mud pie corner - it was in a 6 pack 2 each of certain ones , damned if i can remember the others. Vaguely remember a lemony crunchy one in there. The MMP one im sure had a lightly coffee aftertaste.mmm. Hope its the same one.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:22 am

Banana with choco flakes Müller Corner is the king.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Megamixer wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The Hubba-Bubba drink, I remember that one too! It was a good one, very fruity...

Did you know that the Mississippi Mud Pie corner is back? It's out now as a special edition so get it before it's gone! Haven't had chance to pick one up myself yet but I loved it first time around. Mmmm...

Wasn't it part of an American-themed line of corners? I seem to remember there being an Alabama one on some sort of New York-themed corner too.
I did NOT know that, thanks! There was a rhubarb crumble one I think... A trip to Asda's in the future then.
And those banana-choco ones are good, but not as good as the digestive biscuit ones.

Might've already said this, but does anyone rememebr Jelly Invaders? Made by Muller, the same as those corners, only the big bit was jelly and the small bit was yoghurt.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:37 pm

(This is what I was on about when I mentioned Jelly Invaders):

MEANWHILE...
Would anyone pay this much for four yoghurt pots?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fiend ... SS:GB:3160

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Who remembers going down the disused railway cutting during the seventies and trying tramp cum?-just cant seem to find it these days.